Sponsored

Does your State still have an active 1/4 mile strip?

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
The best 1/4 mile track in Texas (Houston Raceway Park in Baytown) is closing in April 2022 after the NHRA Spring Nats.

The 1/4 mile tracks in Ennis and San Antonio have open track nights/days but they are 4 and 3+ hours away each way respectively from Houston where I live. Most other tracks are 1/8 mile which I'm not all that interested in.
One of the reasons I got my car, was disappointed with this. This will keep me from.making it to.much of a race car now. Was thinking about a cage a d chute at some point for the future upgrades.
Sponsored

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
Here's a list of the 1/4 mile tracks scheduled for NMRA next season.

Screenshot_2021-10-19-18-54-25.png

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Hoose71

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
84, 13, 13, 21, 22 Mustangs, 72 Nova Rally
I live about 15 minutes away from what used to be Gateway International. Some nights if I go outside and there's low cloud cover I can hear it from my porch. It closed down for a few years but then reopened.

https://wwtraceway.com/

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
We lost our drag strip in Fontana to Amazon. They now pay them a bunch of money to park their Trucks on it. :facepalm:

Sponsored

cahouston

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Well, the time has finally come for Houston Raceway Park to shut down at the end of this month. I've been racing there for over 20 years. Closest 1/4 mile track to me is now 4 hours away and there are whispers that it likely won't survive beyond 2024.

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
I live just south of Lucas Oil Raceway here in Indianapolis. It hosts many major events, so I think the likelyhood of closing is slim. But racing is much more important here in Indiana than in other states, it seems.

XROSEM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Here in Texas we lost the San Antonio track, closest to me. Now I have to drive to south Dallas or Houston.

Nitrousfedlx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt pp/ 2015 Ford Escape
Silver Dollar Raceway is about 30 mins from me in Reynolds GA. They do Friday night T&T and some small points series bracket stuff. They have a mustang day and sometimes they have pro mods.

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Well, the time has finally come for Houston Raceway Park to shut down at the end of this month. I've been racing there for over 20 years. Closest 1/4 mile track to me is now 4 hours away and there are whispers that it likely won't survive beyond 2024.
how this typically works is urban sprawl eventually butts up against a race track that has been in the same place for 50 years and suddenly home buyers are complaining about noise and filing complaints. Eventually the track is the one who gets screwed and shut down. Many of the regulars from the track are suddenly without a place to race without driving 4 hours. Mexico is now only option. Next the locals begin complaining about the increased frequency of street racing, despite the fact that some of them were directly responsible for closing down the only safe place for it to occur and the one that predated all their cookie cutter house farms and McMansions.

Sponsored

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Tracks have had the same problems since the 60s.
Racers complain about tracks shutting down yet they are the #1 reason for it.
Racers are t0o "entitled " to put on mufflers and limit the noise.
Yes , many times the track was there first but history has shown that doesn't hold much water.
At some point the track owners get tired of fighting the town,city,county over it and put it up for sale.
Racers will never learn so all dragways are doomed . We have no one to blame but ourselves.

cahouston

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
how this typically works is urban sprawl eventually butts up against a race track that has been in the same place for 50 years and suddenly home buyers are complaining about noise and filing complaints. Eventually the track is the one who gets screwed and shut down. Many of the regulars from the track are suddenly without a place to race without driving 4 hours. Mexico is now only option. Next the locals begin complaining about the increased frequency of street racing, despite the fact that some of them were directly responsible for closing down the only safe place for it to occur and the one that predated all their cookie cutter house farms and McMansions.
In this case, a transport/logistics company bought the land and slowly turning it to warehouse and loading dock space.

cahouston

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here in Texas we lost the San Antonio track, closest to me. Now I have to drive to south Dallas or Houston.
Cross Houston off your list after 4/1/2023. Ennis is what we have left now.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
In this case, a transport/logistics company bought the land and slowly turning it to warehouse and loading dock space.
It had to be up for sale or owners offered a sum.
Ask any dragway owner ,they are all tired or fighting the powers that be over the noise.
It is easy to fix as out of sight or in this case out of the locals ears would have saved many a track.
Go to any town,city,county meeting and the batching is about the noise.
Start fixing this or the only dragways will be the streets.

XROSEM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Cross Houston off your list after 4/1/2023. Ennis is what we have left now.
What? This is horrible news ā˜¹. I almost have my Whipple installed and no where to go but Dallas. Texas passes the most strict street racing laws ever and no legal place to race. Just my luck I guess. Thank you for the information, much appreciated.
Sponsored