Sponsored

Does the MGW Short Throw or Barton Shifter Work in conjunction with the Blowfish Racing Bracket on a 2015 + Mustang Shelby GT350?

What Shifter Do You Like Better?

• Total voters

Carlos990815

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 , 2014 Mustang GT Track Pack
As the title asks: Does the MGW Short Throw Shifter or Barton shifter Work in conjunction with the Blowfish Racing Bracket on a 2015-2020 Mustang Shelby GT350?

Question has come up since i already own a Blowfish Racing Bracket on my 2017 GT350 with the oem shifter, i prefer to keep my blowfish Bracket because i also have an aftermarket Driveshaft and i like the safety loop for the driveshaft that comes with it but i also want to upgrade to a short throw shifter now.
I already sold my OEM Shifter Assmebly with mounts and all the arms so i can’t really reuse any of those parts that come with it if it was needed for the install with the MGW Shifter or Barton Shifters.

Has Anynody had the chance to test this out?

I know the Barton requires many pieces from the oem shifter, so that’s most likely not an option for me right now. I Might have to go with MGW but they couldn’t confirm the fitment with the blowfish bracket and blowfish racing has not responded to my email yet, couldn’t call them because the number posted on their website doesn’t work for some reason lol. Anyways, MGW says their product is designed to reuse the Factory Body Mount thats comes with the OEM Shifter which i no longer have, but i don’t see why this wouldn’t fit with the blowfish bracket if the mgw shifter mounts just like the oem shifter on the body mount.

Looking for answers asap if anyone has something to share it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You.
Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Looks as if you are going to be the first to find out how well the MGW shifter fits to the blowfish bracket. I would think you could make it work. After all it is bracket so it should be able to support a shifter.

2JZFAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 AG GT350
Blowfish Racing " -WORKS IN CONJUNCTION WITH ALL AFTERMARKET SHIFTERS THAT RETAIN THE FACTORY SHIFTER BOX "

https://www.blowfishracing.com/driv...mustang-gt350-tr3160-shifter-support-kit.html

They're compatible, I checked everything before I bought bracket. Same reason, single piece driveshaft.. wanted a loop and if it helped stiffen things up more, so be it.

MGW shifters are the highest quality out there, period.

OP
OP
Carlos990815

Carlos990815

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
Blowfish Racing " -WORKS IN CONJUNCTION WITH ALL AFTERMARKET SHIFTERS THAT RETAIN THE FACTORY SHIFTER BOX "

https://www.blowfishracing.com/driv...mustang-gt350-tr3160-shifter-support-kit.html

They're compatible, I checked everything before I bought bracket. Same reason, single piece driveshaft.. wanted a loop and if it helped stiffen things up more, so be it.

Ohh great!! So you do have this combo on your GT350 mgw shifter with blowfish bracket ?
How is it? NVH? Did you go with flat stick push down reverse style or stock style?

2JZFAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 AG GT350
Ohh great!! So you do have this combo on your GT350 mgw shifter with blowfish bracket ?
How is it? NVH? Did you go with flat stick push down reverse style or stock style?
Yes. NVH, no noticeable increase in noise or harshness but I believe a slight increase in vibration through the stock knob adapted. No noticeable vibration with a weighted knob. There is only one reverse engagement on the MGW (push down), no difference to me.. same as my T56 cars and previous Mustangs.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Carlos990815

Carlos990815

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
Just An Update:

so i contacted MGW and they are currently redesigning their gt350 shifters right now to also fit them on the new mach 1 which has the same TR3160 transmission. I went ahead and ordered the current version which is soon to be outdated because I need my car back and running and they said this new version *might* be done by the end of summer, I'll be receiving my MGW shifter today and will upload more updates once I do the installation with some pictures and might make a video as well of the mgw paired with the blowfish bracket

2JZFAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 AG GT350
Just An Update:

so i contacted MGW and they are currently redesigning their gt350 shifters right now to also fit them on the new mach 1 which has the same TR3160 transmission. I went ahead and ordered the current version which is soon to be outdated because I need my car back and running and they said this new version *might* be done by the end of summer, I'll be receiving my MGW shifter today and will upload more updates once I do the installation with some pictures and might make a video as well of the mgw paired with the blowfish bracket
To add on and clarify to this, George is attempting a re-design because of the MACH1 and it's CPC. He "thinks" he might be able to lighten the TR3160 design and make it "a bit stiffer". He said if it turns out that the shifter does NOT play well in the Shelby (increased NVH), he'll just resume production of the original design for our vehicles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Carlos990815

Carlos990815

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)

UPDATE...

The GT350 Blowfish Racing Bracket is not compatible with the GT350 MGW Shifter, they will not mount up together, I have no idea how yours did, but if you have pictures of yours installed please share them. I ended up just buying an oem shifter assembly just to utilize the oem body mount. I'll try to upload some pictures of why it didn't fit but essentially the bottom section of the MGW shifter is too tall/big and will not allow the blowfish bracket to reach up where the 2 studs that come out the back side of the Shifter where the blowfish bracket is supposed to mount on.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
You wouldn't want to mix the two anyway. There's a reason George stayed with the stock rear mount and didn't utilize a higher durometer bushing in a custom bracket.

2JZFAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 AG GT350
UPDATE...

The GT350 Blowfish Racing Bracket is not compatible with the GT350 MGW Shifter, they will not mount up together, I have no idea how yours did, but if you have pictures of yours installed please share them. I ended up just buying an oem shifter assembly just to utilize the oem body mount. I'll try to upload some pictures of why it didn't fit but essentially the bottom section of the MGW shifter is too tall/big and will not allow the blowfish bracket to reach up where the 2 studs that come out the back side of the Shifter where the blowfish bracket is supposed to mount on.
Sorry about your luck. We didn't take any photos when we did it, but I think I know what you're talking about. It's like when we tried test fit everything off of the vehicle, it seemed like it wouldn't work.. I think it came down to where we mounted the bracket on the rear pegs, how deeply we threaded the pegs in, and putting some angle in the top loop section. I know it doesn't ride the bottom of the shifter, but it was pretty close when tightened up.

You wouldn't want to mix the two anyway. There's a reason George stayed with the stock rear mount and didn't utilize a higher durometer bushing in a custom bracket.
The blowfish bracket has rubber bushings in the top loop section where the bracket on the rear pegs attaches to it.. No increase in NVH here.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
When you say "it" are you talking about the factory GT350 mount? If all you have are the BF grommets I'm surprised you aren't seeing an increase in vibration. Anything other than the soft factory mount/bushing and you aren't attenuating to the frequency range necessary to address vibration. I'm surprised you aren't noticing that. The GT350 is much more sensitive in this regard than an MT82 behind a 5.0 for example.

2JZFAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 AG GT350
When you say "it" are you talking about the factory GT350 mount? If all you have are the BF grommets I'm surprised you aren't seeing an increase in vibration. Anything other than the soft factory mount/bushing and you aren't attenuating to the frequency range necessary to address vibration. I'm surprised you aren't noticing that. The GT350 is much more sensitive in this regard than an MT82 behind a 5.0 for example.
No. There is a billet two-piece bracket that is tightened down on the very end of the pegs (the excess material) coming out of the back of the shifter, behind what slides through factory mount. This bottom billet bracket has a length of material on each side that are then received by the rubber grommets I mentioned inside the top of the driveshaft loop assembly/cage. The lower section of the loop cage is hard mounted, the top part has the rubber grommets to isolate anything transferring between the shifter assembly up top and the cage assembly down below.
Sponsored