Does the GT350 have a gear position sensor, Boost by gear excluding MoTec

Grabber350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2007 GT Convertible
Like many GT350 owners I am looking at boosting it. Wondering if the GT350 Tremec 3160 has a gear position switch so that boost by gear can be achieved or if any tuners besides FatHouse/Johnson using the MoTec have figured it out. Yes I searched in the GT350 forum already, so my apologies if this is common question.

I have a 600 rwhp 3v car with a manual, and even on drag radials traction can be challenging on the street. So the thought of doing a 1000 rwhp twin turbo GT350 without a good way to manage the boost on the street seems somewhat absurd since the power will be lost to lost to tire spin below 80 mph.

I realize this is where Fathouse comes in, but I do my own wrenching and you can pick up the Hellion street sleeper with upgrades for ~10K and add decent clutch for another couple. So the additional 18K to solve this issue isn't happening.

What is the consensus here? Or if there isn't any, what has been tried?
Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
When I was digging around I couldnt find one. The car does know when you are in 6th im not sure how maybe a speed / rpm calculation.

You can work out gear with speed vs rpm if you know the gear ratios my old AVCR did this.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The TR3160 does not have a gear position sensor (other than reverse). The ECU figures out which gear it's in from the OSS (output shaft speed) sensor at the back of the transmission. The ECU knows if the clutch is engaged, the engine RPM and the output shaft speed, so figuring out which gear is which is easy arithmetic.

IIRC, the ECU software contains torque limits per gear, but they're implemented by pulling spark and throttle, which may not be useful to you.

That's all I can contribute.

Reactions: TDC

JCSIX13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Whipple has what they call flight control. You can decrease torque output by gear.

ebdbDave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
Whipple has what they call flight control. You can decrease torque output by gear.
on youtube theres a vid of someone who installed an auto-blip rev match on their gt350, and obviously it must know if its in what gear, bc it only revs when you go DOWN, regardless of what gear its in....

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
on youtube theres a vid of someone who installed an auto-blip rev match on their gt350, and obviously it must know if its in what gear, bc it only revs when you go DOWN, regardless of what gear its in....
It detects simultaneous use of the brake and the clutch. That only happens on a downshift.

OP
OP

Grabber350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2007 GT Convertible
I am bit surprised to find very little info on this. PBD doesnt mess with it. The eBoost response was also a negative on ability to calculate gear by RPM vs speed sensor. Whipple Flight Control is specific to Whipple tunes only. The motorcycle industry has aftermarket gear indicators that work it out using Speed/RPM, but I wasn't able to find one that had any sort of output signal. Using a Holley EFI setup might work, but is certainly beyond what I want to get into.

ebdbDave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
wow
It detects simultaneous use of the brake and the clutch. That only happens on a downshift.
wow really? I thought it didnt matter if the brake was depressed or not... I ordered one and am about to install it, so ill let you know!