Sponsored

Does the 10R80 in the Mach 1 get cooling as well?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
If it doesn't who would track with a 10R80 with a Mach1? I understand the diffy probably gets the cooling, on a MT car the diffy over heats before the tranny does. Thanks for the info guys...
Sponsored

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase

Madtel4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
21 MACH 1, HP 1064, 20 Ranger XLT & 20 Explorer ST
If the 10R80 can be cooled. Do you think a 6 speed can keep up on a road course? I think every straightaway will be like at the drag strip only over and over.
Lee

BrianH87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT ; 2021 Explorer ST
If the 10R80 can be cooled. Do you think a 6 speed can keep up on a road course? I think every straightaway will be like at the drag strip only over and over.
Lee
In the hands of an average driver, I doubt it. But someone with skills could probably keep it close.

JFK9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Lee
Yes. The manual comes with no lift shifting through all gears stock which will help greatly on a road course. That combined with the fact that the 6 speed comes with launch control while the auto doesn't makes me think that the drag numbers for good drivers will be very close. If you upgrade the rear tires with some cheater slicks (Like some MT ET Streets or the like) I wouldn't be surprised if the 6 speed is actually capable of faster ETs than the auto unless you upgrade to a higher stall torque converter and brake stand it at launch. A good 60' translates to way better ETs.

Stock to stock though if flat foot shifting I expect ETs to be within 2 tenths of each other.

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
FYI, all 10R80 equipped mustangs have a hidden trans brake. I can be unlocked with a hp tuners device.

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
"If the 10R80 can be cooled, do you think a 6- spd can keep up on a road course?"
If you are very proficient at left-foot braking, I would say that there might be a chance. However, since my GT is a 6-spd, I am not that familiar w/the down-shifting characteristics of the 10-spd. Would the 10R80 have as much 'braking' capability as the manual when down-shifting? If not, that just might negate the 'advantage' of left-foot braking. You guys who track your 10R80s, step right up here.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
If you are very proficient at left-foot braking, I would say that there might be a chance. However, since my GT is a 6-spd, I am not that familiar w/the down-shifting characteristics of the 10-spd. Would the 10R80 have as much 'braking' capability as the manual when down-shifting? If not, that just might negate the 'advantage' of left-foot braking. You guys who track your 10R80s, step right up here.
I have had two track going cars now that have been autos (2009 CTS=V 6 speed auto and my 2018 pp1 10 speed auto) and I have gotten use to them for track use. The one and only limiting factor with the ford 10 speed auto is heat build up. I just can not keep it cool. As far as torque braking i feel it does very well. I have used it in sport/ track auto mode as well as totally manual shifting mode. In many cases my lap times are actually quicker in sport/track auto. mode. One thing is for sure the 10 speed auto shifts quicker then I ever could and with it I never miss a shift. Now if I could just figure out how to keep it cool. Oh, I have added two small Derale coolers that didnt help.

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
"Now if I could just figure out how to keep it cool. Oh, I have added two (2) small Derale coolers that didn't help."
Have you looked into what the GT500 utilizes for its trans cooler(s)? I also see where Shelby offers a trans cooler. The Shelby unit might be easier to retro-fit as opposed to the GT500 which was installed on the assembly line. Just food for thought.

Sponsored

JFK9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
It's not like you need it for automatic.
You absolutely do. I have built auto drag cars before and it is literally the reason why you put trans brakes and high stall converters on them. Launching from idle RPM costs you a good launch.

JFK9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
All 10R80s and a vast majority (if not all) modern automatics are cooled in some way or fashion externally (unlike most manuals which are sealed and only cooled with fins).

GTs have a dedicated cooling brick in front of the radiator, the Mach1s have a bigger unit relocated in the fender well area similar to the location of the GT350 coolers.

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
FYI, all 10R80 equipped mustangs have a hidden trans brake. I can be unlocked with a hp tuners device.
Lol. Yep. Mine would occasionally rev up to 4500 rpms when pulling out. Always scared the crap out of me. A little disconcerting when you foot is off the accelerator (on brake) and the car is reving up by itself…?? My 18 had problems.
Sponsored