Does our Government (US) do anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I think people have a tendency to always look at the small picture.

The small picture is politics getting more polarizing.

To start to look at the big picture you have to ask why is politics this way?

The answer throughout history is always the same.

It’s money. The standard of living has been dropping since the 1970s and continues to drop daily. The reasons are numerous but all end up being the same base reason. Rampant money creation. This makes stealth inflation that people are stupid enough to cheer. Happy your house value increased? Happy to pay more in taxes? Homeowners insurance more expensive? What about when you go to sell to buy a bigger house and it appreciated at the same percentage. You lose money everywhere.

If voting mattered they wouldn't let us do it. The rich and powerful have been in power since forever and will do everything to maintain that power. That includes printing us poor.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think people have a tendency to always look at the small picture.

The small picture is politics getting more polarizing.

To start to look at the big picture you have to ask why is politics this way?

The answer throughout history is always the same.

It’s money. The standard of living has been dropping since the 1970s and continues to drop daily. The reasons are numerous but all end up being the same base reason. Rampant money creation. This makes stealth inflation that people are stupid enough to cheer. Happy your house value increased? Happy to pay more in taxes? Homeowners insurance more expensive? What about when you go to sell to buy a bigger house and it appreciated at the same percentage. You lose money everywhere.

If voting mattered they wouldn't let us do it. The rich and powerful have been in power since forever and will do everything to maintain that power. That includes printing us poor.
Politics is getting more polarizing because big money is pushing out much more fake news to try to sway the American public. And more of the public is buying into the fake news due to the corruption of the education system.

If the news organizations told the truth it would be much easier to find common ground, especially if people were taught real history.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
to answer your question yes.
The government does a lot.

The aircraft industry exists because you the tax payer built it. Every screw, bolt,fastener even the bare metal used to make them all of those standards were developed and paid for by the US tax payers.

Look up the history of Boeing the US taxpayer literally built that company. And pretty much every boeing aircraft inservice is paid for thanks to loans that you the tax payer back...

The car you drive gets 28mpg with 435 hp because ford was forced to comply with stricter fuel standards and still produce a competitive product.

You can ship a package from NYC to California in 6 days for 15.00 thanks to the government.

You are able to take a shower tonight and go to bed not worried about lead poisoning or your roof caving in and killing you thanks to government building codes and the governments legal system that gives you the ability to sue if you get hurt...

So yes the government does a lot don't get sidetracked by the politics and bullshit

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
to answer your question yes.
The government does a lot.

The aircraft industry exists because you the tax payer built it. Every screw, bolt,fastener even the bare metal used to make them all of those standards were developed and paid for by the US tax payers.

Look up the history of Boeing the US taxpayer literally built that company. And pretty much every boeing aircraft inservice is paid for thanks to loans that you the tax payer back...

The car you drive gets 28mpg with 435 hp because ford was forced to comply with stricter fuel standards and still produce a competitive product.

You can ship a package from NYC to California in 6 days for 15.00 thanks to the government.

You are able to take a shower tonight and go to bed not worried about lead poisoning or your roof caving in and killing you thanks to government building codes and the governments legal system that gives you the ability to sue if you get hurt...

So yes the government does a lot don't get sidetracked by the politics and bullshit
Good post. The cynical side of me could find a few negative things to go along with each positive thing the government has done, though.

IMO the Federal government is somewhat like unions. If there are good things the government does, they are outweighed by the bad. The government figured out how to do the helpful stuff many years ago (by the early 60s the Fed was plenty big enough and doing MORE than enough already). And every year the government tries to get bigger and do more. IMO the ideal Federal government wouldn't have grown every single year but rather stayed the same size. It's far too big and bloated now and it does too much, most of it negative.

Sponsored

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Good post. The cynical side of me could find a few negative things to go along with each positive thing the government has done, though.

IMO the Federal government is somewhat like unions. If there are good things the government does, they are outweighed by the bad. The government figured out how to do the helpful stuff many years ago (by the early 60s the Fed was plenty big enough and doing MORE than enough already). And every year the government tries to get bigger and do more. IMO the ideal Federal government wouldn't have grown every single year but rather stayed the same size. It's far too big and bloated now and it does too much, most of it negative.
At the end of the day they're all human man. You will have selfish and corrupt people in any organization. I think for the large part of 200+ years they've done a pretty good job overall. The problem really is in the last 20years the country has stopped trying to progress forward and is instead selling everyone out to a few rich people... And thats whats killing us.

If we go back to the basics things will, get better for everyone. The alternative is alot worse. And it begins with voters making better decisions and getting more involved

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
At the end of the day they're all human man. You will have selfish and corrupt people in any organization. I think for the large part of 200+ years they've done a pretty good job overall. The problem really is in the last 20years the country has stopped trying to progress forward and is instead selling everyone out to a few rich people... And thats whats killing us.

If we go back to the basics things will, get better for everyone. The alternative is alot worse. And it begins with voters making better decisions and getting more involved
I agree people are human. The thing is, there are very few people running for office with the determination and ability to fight the system. I have very little hope for our government ever shrinking. If a politician tries to even go a year keeping the government the same size, many people call that a cut and say it will kill grandma and children.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
... many people call that a cut and say it will kill grandma and children.
In this case, it sounds like the issue is not the system or the politians but the American people. According to the description, the politicians are (or should be) implementing the wishes of their constituents...the American people...

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
In this case, it sounds like the issue is not the system or the politians but the American people. According to the description, the politicians are (or should be) implementing the wishes of their constituents...the American people...
I complain about the American system, but things are worse almost everywhere else in the world.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I complain about the American system, but things are worse almost everywhere else in the world.
Agree in general. Wouldn't be part of the profession of arms if I didn't believe in our people and system, flaws notwithstanding. However, I believe it's a stretch to say "everywhere else..." There is plenty for us to learn from others, just as others can learn from us. My point, however, is that the lack of engagement on the part of the average citizen undermines our democracy. Rather than "the politicians" or the "left or right," the American model of a representative democracy requires participation by its citizens. By and large, our citizens are abrogating their responsibility (both to "serve" and to govern).

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Agree in general. Wouldn't be part of the profession of arms if I didn't believe in our people and system, flaws notwithstanding. However, I believe it's a stretch to say "everywhere else..." There is plenty for us to learn from others, just as others can learn from us. My point, however, is that the lack of engagement on the part of the average citizen undermines our democracy. Rather than "the politicians" or the "left or right," the American model of a representative democracy requires participation by its citizens. By and large, our citizens are abrogating their responsibility (both to "serve" and to govern).
I agree with everything you are saying.

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think he's anyplace close to being that smart. I also see NOTHING that he is trying to do to HELP, only thing he is trying to do to make more money for the rich people he wants to be buddies with, and make racists feel that it's okay to be racist. Nearly every number that he brags about is one that was already trending well before he took office. No one shows us any respect or sees reason to respect us. We are an international joke.

That said neither side is productive in anything as all of politics has turned into a "my side is right, yours is wrong and its impossible that the best answer is in the middle." Also NO policy that is enacted really has any time to properly pan out as its 1) ripped apart before its put in place so the original idea is never fully executed, 2) its immediately screwed with and defunded or removed before ANY actual research can be done to tell if it is helping over all based only on the idea that people don't like it "in principal". They would rather fuck themselves than ever admit that an opposing idea may be the better one.

We also have a large ME not WE problem where people have 0 interest in helping others unless they can help themselves more first. Ironic as many of the people that I watch do so also claim to be religious. Another reason that I have 0 faith in any religion other than seeing it as a population control tool.
It IS okay to be racist. That's an individual right. Just like people have the right to be a-holes, the right to want to punch someone in the face, etc...

Acting on it is where it becomes a problem.

FTR: I'm not a bigot of any kind, people in general annoy me.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
It IS okay to be racist. That's an individual right. Just like people have the right to be a-holes, the right to want to punch someone in the face, etc...

Acting on it is where it becomes a problem.

FTR: I'm not a bigot of any kind, people in general annoy me.
You're right, okay, let me rephrase that, make it feel okay to ACT racist.

I find it funny that in at least my experience the people that are the most racist are also those that have had the least interaction with other races.

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
You're right, okay, let me rephrase that, make it feel okay to ACT racist.

I find it funny that in at least my experience the people that are the most racist are also those that have had the least interaction with other races.
I don't think there's a formula to it. Some people are racist because that's all they know (upbringing) some are racist because the majority of their interactions with another race have been bad, and some people do it because the people they surround themselves with are of the same mindset.
I think the biggest issue is that people are just stupid.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP

Remind me, what have they done to sell us out to rich people in the last 20 years?

What does government do? They take our money, then they spend 1.5x what they take from us putting us all in debt. Then the suggest they "solve" the problem by taking more of our money (don't ever believe they are ONLY going to take more from rich people), and spending 2x what they take.

Government is the lesser of two evils. Big government is more evil, and less lesser.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.