Sponsored

Does getting a 20 when you have a 15 auto make sense?

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
I personally prefer the looks of the 2015-2017 over the 2018-2020. I would suggest saving your money and just stick with what you have, but I am cheap and will drive a car for 200,000 miles as it is less expensive to fix it than to have a $500 monthly payment.
If you really want to do it, here is my suggestion.
Figure out what your new payment will be, instead of buying a new car, put that money you would be spending on a new car, plus the increase in insurance, etc into a separate NEW account, then once you have enough money buy the car outright and have no payment, AND you save thousands in interest...
Sponsored

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
I personally prefer the looks of the 2015-2017 over the 2018-2020. I would suggest saving your money and just stick with what you have, but I am cheap and will drive a car for 200,000 miles as it is less expensive to fix it than to have a $500 monthly payment.
If you really want to do it, here is my suggestion.
Figure out what your new payment will be, instead of buying a new car, put that money you would be spending on a new car, plus the increase in insurance, etc into a separate NEW account, then once you have enough money buy the car outright and have no payment, AND you save thousands in interest...
This is assuming you can go for 7 years plus on an out of warranty car with nothing expensive going wrong. One that is already 4-6 years old. If you do (which you will) that bites right into those thousands you are saving on interest. FWIW I do like the looks of the 15-17 better, but aero packages (especially what Roush did with those hideous cutouts in front of the front wheels) can vastly improve the appearance, and you get the performance increase to boot.

bouser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
This is assuming you can go for 7 years plus on an out of warranty car with nothing expensive going wrong. One that is already 4-6 years old. If you do (which you will) that bites right into those thousands you are saving on interest. FWIW I do like the looks of the 15-17 better, but aero packages (especially what Roush did with those hideous cutouts in front of the front wheels) can vastly improve the appearance, and you get the performance increase to boot.

bouser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Ordered the first year S550 and wondering if the 18+ changes make a big difference in how it feels/ performs? I have the old 5 speed automatic and a non performance pack. Thinking of going 10 speed and PP1. Any thoughts on if it's even worth it? My 15 is in beautiful perfect shape. Never had a single problem. 60K miles, motor feels the same as when I got it, just starts every time. That makes it harder a decision to trade in because I just paid it off and I could go another 10 years without buying another car because its everything I need.

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
nah... do a cluster swap and a sync 3 swap and done... those are the only different things inside that make it look "newer"

yeah, a10 is fast AF and the gen 3 is underrated... but nothing nothing a few mods won't fix....

i wouldn't trade my fully loaded gt with 50th package for something less than a fully loaded, a10 PP 401a and even with that, i can't get my green color

Sponsored

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
It is a matter of fact that you will save money in the long run if you never get the extended warranty. More or less, look into an extended warranty and set that amount aside, and over time you will make money... Sometimes you lose, but ultimately you will win. Of course if you drive your car like you stole it at all times, like people tend to do with these cars and Jeeps, you will have more problems.

EDIT: IF you calculate the price difference between a new car and what they give you for trade in.. Let us assume they give you $25K, and the car you want is $45K, That $20,000 would go toward a ton of mods OR any repairs you might have... Even if you have to replace the engine or Trans, or both... Figure out the difference in your monthly payment, OR just bank the money and when you have enough to buy a new car... buy a new car with CASH instead of paying the bank. You will save a lot of money.

As for the Roush cars, When I was looking at 2017's and 2018's I really liked the appearance of the Roush 2015-2017 cars, and when I found one for a deal I jumped on it.

Last edited:

cipherzero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 A10 PP1 GT
As others have said, I'd keep your current car. If I could undo my purchase and go back to my 17 I would in a heartbeat.

I don't really like the A10, A6 is just better IMO. The A6 was infinitely smoother, less jerky, and didn't slip first so much and whine. At full throttle sure it shifts fast, but some of the shifts both up and down feel horrible. Also a very noticeable thunk on certain downshifts that is quite jarring.

They've tried "fixing" mine but it always a temporary fix.

People have literally looked at my car while turning after a stop sign wondering what the awful whine is (its not a pleasant whine like an SC).

Justin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Grabber Lime GT Premium
So late in the models run I wouldn't bother for what you'd get out of it. If I were in your position, rather than trade up to another S550 with minor differences I'd be starting a savings account to save an even bigger downpayment on the S650 coming in 2023 MY. That way you get the new looks, new interior and whatever else they go with. Unless you were going to another car altogether, I dont think S550 -> S550 is worth it IMO unless you find a killer deal and get good value for your car.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I think the differences in the 18-20 are much improved over the 15-17, but if I already had a '15 that's a tough one. If you really love Mustangs then I would go for it - it's going to be quite a while before anything much improved comes out.

If people say "get a Mach1" I would argue why not buy a year or two old GT350 then? Much more car for the $$.

dfanucci

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT / 68 Mustang Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I was all set to trade my 15 in on a 19 Bullitt because of the incentives Ford was having. It was a specialty car, and I thought that would be the only thing to get me out of my 15.

Then I drove the a10 auto. Sold me on my 2020 PP1 from the from the first stop light...

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Paid off my 16' four months ago. Enjoy the no car payments for a while. Rough seas coming in a few months.
Sponsored