Sponsored

Does getting a 20 when you have a 15 auto make sense?

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Why pay thousands and thousands more in interest and extra depreciation for what is basically the same car? Yes the 10AT is sweet but not thousands and thousands and thousands more sweet.

Plus in 2 years you'll be extra sorry once S650 comes out and you're in an outdated model.
Sponsored

rancid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
If your 15 is paid off, why not look at another brand muscle car to compliment the mustang? I wouldn't trade the 15 in until the next Mustang refresh.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Nope.

The only other S550 I'd give up my '15 for is the GT500. The rest are too close to the same thing performance wise.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
With Maneride, digital dash, A10, and Active Exhaust it does. that's any year even if someone went backwards... that package is a game changer.

Btw, don't trade... Sell ..

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Depending on the options you choose, the differences are real and absolutely worth it. But only you can answer the question if these changes are worth making payments on a new car. Find what you want and go drive one. Then you’ll know.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
(BTW, OP you said 5-speed ...)

Depending on the options you choose, the differences are real and absolutely worth it. But only you can answer the question if these changes are worth making payments on a new car. Find what you want and go drive one. Then you’ll know.
Yeah, going from like a base '15 manual to a base '20 manual, wouldn't make much difference, and with the change in gearing between MY15-17 and MY18+, it might not even feel much quicker. But like @Jmtoast said, you get into a loaded car with the improved interior, the 12" LCD dash, make it a Perf Pack with Magneride? That's a BIG change, and then add in the A10, and it's a total game changer.

I went from a fully loaded '16 GT PP convertible (even had the Premier upgraded interior), to a loaded '19 GT PP convertible, and even these cars having a lot the same are still very different, the '19 being better in every way (while retaining all the stuff that's a GT great). I also went from a 6-speed manual to the 10-speed auto, so that was a big change, but also just how well the car is put together, I have the AE system which is excellent (now running an H-pipe, it's perfect), and Magneride I can't say enough good things about.

OP, you might look out for a lightly used '19 or '20, I bought my '16 new, but wanted someone else to take the hit on depreciation this time, and wow, did I score, car was $59K MSRP, got it for $38K with 4K miles, mint, and got a good solid higher end trade (based on KBB) for my '16 (the dealer even moved my wheels over for me :) )

Calhoun

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Race Red
I'm in the same boat. My answer had been that I was good with my '15 for a while longer since still runs great. That is until the Mach 1 was announced, now...........???.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Made perfect sense to trade My 15 for a new stang this year. I beat the hell out of the 15. The warranty was long gone. And I would have a hell of a time getting a highly modded car thru NJ inspection. I don’t know your financial situation but for me it’s just money. And I will make more.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
If you were going from a manual 15 to a new manual 20, I would say no but the 18+ 10spd was a huge upgrade that takes advantage of the sweet gen3 Coyote.
That's debatable. The 10 speed is an upgrade from the previous 6 speed auto, but comparing auto and manual transmissions is apples to oranges. The MT-82 gets a lot of hate, but it's a good transmission with 1 or 2 small upgrades.

Edit: Disregard. He has the 6 speed auto. Whoops.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
(BTW, OP you said 5-speed ...)

Yeah, going from like a base '15 manual to a base '20 manual, wouldn't make much difference, and with the change in gearing between MY15-17 and MY18+, it might not even feel much quicker. But like @Jmtoast said, you get into a loaded car with the improved interior, the 12" LCD dash, make it a Perf Pack with Magneride? That's a BIG change, and then add in the A10, and it's a total game changer.

I went from a fully loaded '16 GT PP convertible (even had the Premier upgraded interior), to a loaded '19 GT PP convertible, and even these cars having a lot the same are still very different, the '19 being better in every way (while retaining all the stuff that's a GT great). I also went from a 6-speed manual to the 10-speed auto, so that was a big change, but also just how well the car is put together, I have the AE system which is excellent (now running an H-pipe, it's perfect), and Magneride I can't say enough good things about.

OP, you might look out for a lightly used '19 or '20, I bought my '16 new, but wanted someone else to take the hit on depreciation this time, and wow, did I score, car was $59K MSRP, got it for $38K with 4K miles, mint, and got a good solid higher end trade (based on KBB) for my '16 (the dealer even moved my wheels over for me :) )
Maybe he got the 2015 GT special which only came with 5 gears! I dont know about the OP but that on itself would make me want to get a 10 speed.:crackup::crackup:

I'm just kidding

Sponsored

MustangJoe84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 GT, 1998 GT Sport, 2003 Mach1, 2015 GT
I too am debating turning in my 2015 base GT but for a Mach1. But, seeing the demand for it and the silly 'limited production' I would probably not be able to get one for a reasonable price, or maybe at any price for a while (and at 50K plus, I am not sure I would want to spend that much). Emotionally it is the perfect car for me to aspire to as I still have a 2003 Mach1, and I have already started rationalizing trying to get one as a semi retirement, last car to keep thing. Indeed I have been waiting 17 years for the Mach1 to return, and I appreciate Ford bringing it back. I will probably have to wait and see if demand slacks off in the second production year (like the Bullitt did) and pick up a used/leftover one eventually.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I too am debating turning in my 2015 base GT but for a Mach1. But, seeing the demand for it and the silly 'limited production' I would probably not be able to get one for a reasonable price, or maybe at any price for a while (and at 50K plus, I am not sure I would want to spend that much). Emotionally it is the perfect car for me to aspire to as I still have a 2003 Mach1, and I have already started rationalizing trying to get one as a semi retirement, last car to keep thing. Indeed I have been waiting 17 years for the Mach1 to return, and I appreciate Ford bringing it back. I will probably have to wait and see if demand slacks off in the second production year (like the Bullitt did) and pick up a used/leftover one eventually.
They’ll sell at first. Then languish on lots like the current Bullitt.

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
Ordered the first year S550 and wondering if the 18+ changes make a big difference in how it feels/ performs? I have the old 5 speed automatic and a non performance pack. Thinking of going 10 speed and PP1. Any thoughts on if it's even worth it? My 15 is in beautiful perfect shape. Never had a single problem. 60K miles, motor feels the same as when I got it, just starts every time. That makes it harder a decision to trade in because I just paid it off and I could go another 10 years without buying another car because its everything I need.
I haven't driven a pre-18, so I can't speak to that car. You can read all the reviews and get an idea of what most people have experienced with the updates. But here is what I would do. Nearly all vehicles are a depreciating asset. So you are not going to ever "make money" on your car, but you can mitigate how much you will lose. There is a massive depreciation hit over the first two years. So unless you have some mental hangup, where you need to be the first owner, there is a huge financial benefit to buying a car that is a couple years old with low miles. I'd hit one of the used car sites like cars.com and put in your filters to refine as much as possible. If you can go drive one that's close to you, I'd go for a 2018 with low miles (is that what I just did? Why yes it is...) and see what you think, as I bet the test drive will push you one way or the other. I'd suggest that stock for stock, the 2018+ cars are going to "feel" faster (because they are) and will "sound" better (because they do). You can probably save 10-20K by buying a 2018 over a new 2020. Yet still get the same finance rate and term if you are financing. Downside is less original warranty, but for 1,500 bucks or so, you can get a Ford ESP and basically have that piece of mind on the bumper to bumper if you like. Still waaaay cheaper to do that than buy new. Good luck with whatever you choose to do. Ultimately it's your car man, do what makes you happy!

Last edited:

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
You have the 5 year itch, scratch it or go crazy.