Sponsored

Does anyone really know what’s causing the hood rot?

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
If your talking about paint bubbling, my buddy has a body shop, he says it’s aluminum oxide. Ford knows about it but they wont fix it under warranty.
Sure they will - I just had my '16 GT hood replaced under the corrosion warranty in March. Now they DID change the warranty between '15 and '16 to be MORE inclusive - so your statement is only partly true - on a '15 you have a shorter window to get it fixed, '16+ its 8yrs/unlimited mileage I believer (maybe 5yr/unlimited) but they sure DID replace/repaint my hood under warranty.

Side note - its not just Ford that is having the issue, my dealer has a Dodge dealership next door and they share the body shop. When I was getting mine done the service manager stated that the Dodge cars with Alu hoods had the same issue in the same place - leading edge of the hood. He did not understand why it was happening either - the F-150 has been all Al for years and he said they don't see the problem on them.
Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
I will get the new fiberglass 2020 gt-500 hood from Cervinis hood when the next stimulus check comes out. I Will have my buddy’s body shop paint it ruby red. It will be badass.

https://ibb.co/CWS3Lrf

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Thanks OP. Hey, your corrosion warranty should still be in effect, no?
Panel corrosion warranty for 2015s really sucks. Ford updated it for 2016+ to be more reasonable. There's a long thread in this forum covering all the details.

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 is actually the only year they won’t warranty the hood corrosion issue.
It will cover hood corrosion, but the hood needs to be perforated all the way through. Ford took the perforation requirement out for the 2016+ models.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford has fixed it 2-3 times on my 2017 EB over the last four years. I noticed it again last month and the hood itself is being replaced with a brand new one after work this afternoon.
Ford has stopped trying to fix corroding hoods under warranty, and now say per TSB to replace a corroded hood with a new hood. Guess they finally learned that repairing doesn't always work and it most likely just corrode again.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Got my 15 done under 3/36 warranty with 6 days left in the 36 month....new hood, galvanic corrosion due to metal contamination. It’s true, most spot repairs will bubble again and the 16 and up warranties are better....mine was garage queen with less than 19,000 miles and rarely saw rain.....

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mucho appreciated. I commented and then searched, should have searched then commented! lol
You're lucky you have a 2016 and not a 2015. Ford screwed the pooch with the 2015 corrosion warranty statement.

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
What's the sense In allowing Ford to give you another hood thats going to repeat the same corrosion process. If your gonna Keep your mustang for a while get an aftermarket fiberglass hood.. over and done..

Cplennon17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
You're lucky you have a 2016 and not a 2015. Ford screwed the pooch with the 2015 corrosion warranty statement.
Thank gosh for not having enough money in 2015 lol

They took pics at Ford yesterday and sent them to corporate. I'll know more today but they have a bunch of Exploders there for the same issue so I advise anybody with the problem (regardless of warranty) go get it

Cplennon17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
What's the sense In allowing Ford to give you another hood thats going to repeat the same corrosion process. If your gonna Keep your mustang for a while get an aftermarket fiberglass hood.. over and done..
Personally I am now mulling over the idea of getting the new hood (hopefully) and selling it. Then I'll buy the Cervini's like I want anyway lol
Sponsored