Sponsored

Does anyone on here invest in precious metals?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Aside from the normal stocks/bonds/CDs/Money Market/401K/Roth investments, does anyone invest in precious metals?

Such as Gold, Silver, etc - but not invest in only from a "paper" perspective (funds/ETFs/futures), but actually buys physical bullion, coins, etc.

Any sound advice to offer, tips or good safe/secure sites to recommend?
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
'invest' implies some kind of returns, hopefully positive. :)

Yes, I've bought 1oz Ag/Au rounds from almost entirely APMEX. If you're looking for maximum "convertibility" buy the US Mint coins (eagle) or the Canadian (maple).

Then take your box of 500 coins out to the lake and accidentally throw it overboard.
For 'residential' security, either get a rated safe, or buy some 1.5" PVC pipe and bury it >18" down, vertically.

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'invest' implies some kind of returns, hopefully positive. :)

Yes, I've bought 1oz Ag/Au rounds from almost entirely APMEX. If you're looking for maximum "convertibility" buy the US Mint coins (eagle) or the Canadian (maple).

Then take your box of 500 coins out to the lake and accidentally throw it overboard.
Funny you should mention the US Eagle coins. How does one know if the Eagles they are buying are legit? I've seen so many Internet ads or late night cable commercials with those Coins, I didn't think many of them are "real".

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
the 'late night' ones are typically fake. If you catch the small print it'll say 'clad' in gold/silver. Apmex and Kitco and JM Bullion are 3 reliable sources. Apmex has got their transactions down pat, IMO. Done low 6 figures with them.

Sponsored

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Some guy named Buffett said this: “(Gold) gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head.”

His first name wasn't Jimmy

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Some guy named Buffett
well when you can bribe the gov't to cancel a pipeline and make you immediately vastly richer since oil now have to use your railroad, it's the best racket possible.

Gold/Silver is a currency debasement hedge. Zimbabwe/Argentina/Germany/Venezuela is coming here. When nobody will accept the currency, you'll damn well wish you had something that couldn't be printed to infinity.

Last edited:

bryyce62

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G dub
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
Well if you bought silver a couple years ago at say, 13 bucks/oz It has appreciated nicely since then.
Silver Eagles from the Mint are definitely real, you just have to pay a premium for them. I get the proofs.
I buy eagles more as a hobby than an investment.

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the 'late night' ones are typically fake. If you catch the small print it'll say 'clad' in gold/silver. Apmex and Kitco and JM Bullion are 3 reliable sources. Apmex has got their transactions down pat, IMO. Done low 6 figures with them.
Cool - good info and I appreciate the details. When you buy such "product", I'm assuming it is shipped insured?

How have you done with say any resale of physical goods as such (if applicable)?

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
well when you can bribe the gov't to cancel a pipeline and make you immediately vastly richer since oil now how to use your railroad, it's the best racket possible.

Gold/Silver is a currency debasement hedge. Zimbabwe/Argentina/Germany/Venezuela is coming here. When nobody will accept the currency, you'll damn well wish you had something that couldn't be printed to infinity.
I have heard the above time and time again about having on hand something more "tangible" than just "paper money"...

Reason for thread is the above, but I was curious to see if any M6G members have had the same thoughts (in these changing and uncertain times) or if anyone has already been involved with such investments longer term.

I think the sharing of info in this thread as well as the other Investment thread benefits everyone - even those new to it or those seeking to learn more from real life experiences from others who are experienced. I mean sure, we can all "Google" but when discussing it amongst ourselves as a group, rather than having ones head spin with all the raucous of the internet search results, it's more of a hands on approach.

So appreciate the info and keeping both threads alive.

Sponsored

klink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Camaro SS, 2016 Dodge Challenger SRT
well when you can bribe the gov't to cancel a pipeline and make you immediately vastly richer since oil now how to use your railroad, it's the best racket possible.

THIS.

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Been a bit, popping this one back up if anyone wants to add any content.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
well when you can bribe the gov't to cancel a pipeline and make you immediately vastly richer since oil now have to use your railroad, it's the best racket possible.

I don't think so. I think if the CRAPOLA hits the fan, the barter and trade economy will have nothing to do with Silver/gold or other.
And everything to do with food, and labor/skill. Silver and gold might get you those items short term, but long term you best have something of use to barter/trade when you run out of silver/gold or someone takes it from you.
You can have your metal, I'll take the workable land. Thanks.
The city slickers will starve holding their gold iou's papers someone sold them , while the smart ones work the land to feed themselves and family/friends,locals.
Sponsored