Sponsored

Does anyone have their Ford Certificate of Origin?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just wondering if anyone on here has the original (or a copy of) their S550's Ford Certificate of Origin. This would have been the initial Ford "title".

I do not have mine. However through my research, and per Ford's website it stated the Certificate of Origin may be obtained from the originating/selling Dealership.

Has anyone had luck trying to procure a copy?
Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Just wondering if anyone on here has the original (or a copy of) their S550's Ford Certificate of Origin. This would have been the initial Ford "title".

I do not have mine. However through my research, and per Ford's website it stated the Certificate of Origin may be obtained from the originating/selling Dealership.

Has anyone had luck trying to procure a copy?
They sure donā€™t have the original and doubtful on a copy.

Two things are true about the C.O./M.S.O.

1. It can only be transferred to another licensed dealer.

2. It must be assigned to he the retail buyer and surrendered to the state in order for a title to be issued. Remember no title=no tag=no drive.

Unless a dealer kept a new car unsold and undriven forever I canā€™t imagine how one would exist.

Itā€˜s not impossible to get a copy if the dealer loses the original but itā€™s damn close. Real close.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I took a cell phone picture of mine :bandit:, before giving everything to the state for a CO title.

The dealer was very particular about documents, to include a bolded statement on the cover page to not do so little as remove the staple from the stack. Take this pile. Give to the state.

skye certificate of origin.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Could a copy be procured from the original titling State then, if a Dealership wonā€™t have any copy of the original?

EBTAGMOTO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 HE R, 2022 GT500 PP HE, 2016 GT350BaseR
Could a copy be procured from the original titling State then, if a Dealership wonā€™t have any copy of the original?
I bought my car from out of state so was given the original MSO upon purchase. When I titled the vehicle in Wisconsin I included a self addressed stamped envelope with a note to return the original MSO. They did return it after I made a phone call or two. I don't know for sure but I believe they told me they shred them after a certain amount of time.

Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
FWIW, I e-mailed my county DMV for some insight on this topic. I'm curious if they archive them for so long, if not indefinitely, digitize them, etc.

It could be a few days. I'll let you know what they say.

break-break

This is what the State of Colorado does: "After we take in the Certificate of Origin it is shredded after processing. To my knowledge there is no way to obtain the Certificate of origin copy in any way as the new title makes that document void"

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
I had mine at some point....
out of state purchase. maybe DMV kept it after that?

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I'm starting to think on this topic, nowadays, once certain processes clear, documents are destroyed. Physically holding onto papers creates a storage issue. Digitizing and archiving documents presents a long-term security risk or liability.

Millions of vehicles are built every year. Millions of people move every year. That's a lot of paper. A lot of personal information.

I will check with my local dealer, next time I'm in their area.

HAVOC_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
CO's are only kept until the vehicle is Registered the first time.

It has to go to the Motor Vehicles when Registered then as others stated, Destroyed. Once the vehicle is titled, their is no longer a need for the CO as it is registered.

The ONLY WAY you will ever get a CO is if you are a Dealer, with provable docs, a very lengthy history, and also a collector, who will never register the car and you buy it new. Even then, COs are treated like gold because if you have the CO, you can then Import/Export and go down that entire path of craziness. Risk isn't worth the reward at the end of the day for the Dealer selling the car.

I used to work in Sales in another life. Customers of a certain background would come in and ask for the CO to the car when buying it. It was NEVER handed over. EVER.

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess I should have made a copy when I had it!!!!

Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
I guess I should have made a copy when I had it!!!!
Unless you wanted a copy for personal nostalgia reasons Iā€™m not sure what good it would do. I doubt that one person out of a hundred would even know what it is if they saw it and obviously it would be non-negotiable.

Thinking about it a little, I doubt that the average joe out there ever sees the actual title to his car. Iā€™d speculate that most get traded before theyā€™re paid off. Just a WAG.

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unless you wanted a copy for personal nostalgia reasons Iā€™m not sure what good it would do. I doubt that one person out of a hundred would even know what it is if they saw it and obviously it would be non-negotiable.

Thinking about it a little, I doubt that the average joe out there ever sees the actual title to his car. Iā€™d speculate that most get traded before theyā€™re paid off. Just a WAG.
you are correct, I d just like to have it for nostalgia.

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
Iā€™ve got mine. Because of how I purchased the car and the requirements to register it on an overseas military installation I needed the certificate of origin. My car was never titled until I brought it back to the US from overseas, just registered using the certificate of origin. Even after titling the car in the United States I still have it. The DMV just took a copy.

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
The best way to retain the copy is what @Skye and I did. Take picture of it, then print it. If you try to make a copy it will say "copy" on the printed certificate. I used camscanner and made my copies.
Sponsored