Sponsored

Does anyone else wish you could just install a normal double-DIN head unit in this car?

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
Does anyone else wish you could just install a normal double-DIN head unit in this car? The following is my opinion of the current options.

Before someone says you can use the Scosche or Metra kits, I will start by saying that I have looked at both, neither looks good at all to me, and both have serious issues that I'm not willing to deal with. In addition to the terrible looks and poor quality, they are both entirely too expensive. I'm not poor, and could certainly afford them, but I just can't understand why they cost so much, look so bad, and perform so poorly.

With that said, I have also looked at the available Android "Tesla" screens that are available, and if any of them had OEM fit and finish or performed properly, I would already have one. Unfortunately, they all look very bad in the dash, not because of the screen itself, but the black plastic areas to the sides of the screen.

I have the base 4" screen. I have manual climate control. I don't care at all about the Sync 3. I would like to retain my steering wheel controls. What other options do I have for installing a double-DIN head unit in this car? Could I remove and modify the stock bezel to fit a double-DIN radio where the 4" screen is currently located. Has anyone done this?
Sponsored

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
There's another kit from Maestro that is targeted for the Sync3 versions with either external amplifier or without amplifier. and the way it works is that they have an adapter that sits behind the bezel and there's harness that integrates the new unit in the car. But since you have the 4", I'm not sure if it would work for you buying the sync3 bezel and using that kit to integrate an aftermarket headunit. It's gonna be a hell of a project though!

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
Oh btw there's no way to modify the bezel because behind the bezel there's a full lengrth electronics board which cannot be trimmed

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
While you are at it, you can install a Benzi box........

dougal19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT - Competition Orange
Honestly the newest Tesla radio looks great to me, sure the software isn't perfect but it's good enough for me for the price (about half the cost of a Sync 3 upgrade). There's also the Connect2 dash kit which I think looks a little better than the Metra/Scosche alternatives though it's not really all that different.

I'm just holding out hope that an S550 will come out with Sync 4 in the future and an upgrade will be possible (not likely but I can dream!).

Sponsored

OP
OP
Crowd Hunter

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
Honestly the newest Tesla radio looks great to me, sure the software isn't perfect but it's good enough for me for the price (about half the cost of a Sync 3 upgrade). There's also the Connect2 dash kit which I think looks a little better than the Metra/Scosche alternatives though it's not really all that different.

I'm just holding out hope that an S550 will come out with Sync 4 in the future and an upgrade will be possible (not likely but I can dream!).
Except for the Competition Orange Mustang on the screen...but I guess it does match your car, so may not be so bad for you. If only they let you change the color.

dougal19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT - Competition Orange
Except for the Competition Orange Mustang on the screen...but I guess it does match your car, so may not be so bad for you. If only they let you change the color.
You can just use another launcher as your home screen and set whatever you want, or you can change the icon without too much trouble I think.
Sponsored