Sponsored

DOES ANYONE ACTUALLY HAVE THE "GURNEY FLAP" ON THEIR CAR????

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Do not use the "short" length screws with the Gurney flap. Period.
Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Will the short ones be ok in your opinion???? I ordered the handling package because I love the gurney flap and also the front end Wicker bills.
Short ones are to be inserted when the Gurney flap is not attached. Long fasteners are needed for the Gurney flap. Can be misleading, because the short ones "fit" but are clearly not secure. Instructions are clear that there should be two sizes. Not sure if it's been a problem with the GT500 yet, but probably is since appears to be a trend with the 2019+ GT350.

OP
OP

ChuckXX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2020 SHELBY GT 500
Do not use the "short" length screws with the Gurney flap. Period.
Lets say just for arguments sake they only come in with the shorties. What length should I go buy and where would be a good place to buy them (Home Depot?) and how many do I need????

Joe Mac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT 350
Hello My Friend Epiphany; I was actually kinda joking around about the "Expensive Piece of Plastic". I know what a guy is really paying for is the expensive struts. Anyway, like I mentioned I actually called my Dealer this morning and have him add to my order the "Handling Package". That way atleast I will get the GURNEY FLAP. After speaking to Ray at Ford Performance and him telling me that they would "CHECK MY VIN" and see if they would allow me to buy the Gurney Flap I thought well I just as well as order the whole Kit and Kaaboodle and be done with it. I thought I could just call them and tell them that I dropped it on my cement floor and for $200 bucks they could send me another one. But NO NOT GONNA HAPPEN THAT WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ITS ALL GOOD AND ITS NOW PART OF MY ORDER. NOW, IF ONLY I COULD GET THOSE DAMN PAINTED STRIPES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored

Carbide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red w/white stripes Shelby GT350
Are people leaving the Gurney flap on all the time?
My dealer would not install it at delivery because the package says
TRACK USE ONLY
and he said I shouldn't install it either until until I actually go to the track.
:rolleyes:

šŸ˜†

Tony_the_Brit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
What info. do you base this on? Ford had to have a reason for saying track use only. They went as far as to put a sticker on the flap itself that reminds you of this which has to be removed to open up one of the screw holes.

I'm sure that it affects fuel consumption - but I doubt that that alone would necessitate the sticker. I'm thinking that they expect the flap to work its way loose and fall off if left on long-term.

Does anyone have the actual reason?

SuperSnake427

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500, 2001 Mustang, 1967 Mustang Fastback, 1966 Shelby Cobra
Iā€™d bet fuel consumption and not wanting to have to re-qualify the car in different configurations.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
What info. do you base this on? Ford had to have a reason for saying track use only. They went as far as to put a sticker on the flap itself that reminds you of this which has to be removed to open up one of the screw holes.

I'm sure that it affects fuel consumption - but I doubt that that alone would necessitate the sticker. I'm thinking that they expect the flap to work its way loose and fall off if left on long-term.

The cars certified fuel mileage on the base car is without the gurney flap.
The CFTP car certified fuel mileage is with the wing in the ā€œstreetā€ setting.

The base GT500 will get significantly worse fuel mileage with the gurney flap installed.
They only put that in the manual for legal reasons.

Sponsored

Joe Mac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT 350

At Track Attack they said it only kicks in at high speed and the extra drag will cause it to consume more fuel
It won't fall off, mine has been on for a year its still on tight.

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
I don't see the point in installing the handling pack unless you're actively tracking the car (in which case you should have bought the CFTP car anyways). The parts aren't going to do anything for you when you're tooling around town except increase your fuel consumption and maybe add a 1/32nd to the length of your crank. lol

No thanks. It's just peacocking, and I don't need it.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I don't see the point in installing the handling pack unless you're actively tracking the car (in which case you should have bought the CFTP car anyways). The parts aren't going to do anything for you when you're tooling around town except increase your fuel consumption and maybe add a 1/32nd to the length of your crank. lol

No thanks. It's just peacocking, and I don't need it.
The base car is more than capable tracking, and it does it pretty well actually. There are numerous reasons for someone to choose one car over the other, so just because someone will track their car absolutely does not mean they should have bought the CFTP.

Yes, the snack pack is more track focused out of the box, and someone who's main desire is to track the car, would be better served getting it from the get go. But the base will provide tons of fun on the track, and is more capable than most owners (self included).

I am pretty sure 99.99999% of us GT500 owners could give a rats ass about the (very slight) increase in fuel consumption when "tooling around". The car looks much better with the wickers & gurney flap installed. Thats why we install them mostly. If you are concerned about fuel consumption, you bought the wrong car.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Better to have it and not need it than the other way around.

Without having the specific data it is difficult to be honest and accurate about how the wickers and Gurney Flap impact fuel economy on the GT500. I suspect that the negative effect on fuel efficiency is minimal at city and highway speeds. That said Ford does indeed try to eek out every last bit of fuel economy from every model in the lineup so the recommendations to remove these items from the car when not on a track makes sense I suppose (if maximizing fuel economy is your prerogative).