Sponsored

Do you want to see an AWD Mustang? Is it still a Mustang?

OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Definitely making the Mustang AWD will make it more like the Mach E, Explorer, etc. Just raise it up a little more, 300 more lbs, big beefy front grill, and 500 hybrid hp. Great, right?
hell NO
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Well unless the Mustang gets a lot smaller, that's what we're talking about. Isn't it? You aren't going to add an AWD system plus batteries and motors without adding weight.

I guess if you eliminate the V8 option and go 4 cylinder only, then you can make the Mustang quite a bit smaller, add the AWD and hybrid stuff back in and MAYBE then you won't gain much weight.

Maybe they should call it Focus if they do all that, though.

OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Well unless the Mustang gets a lot smaller, that's what we're talking about. Isn't it? You aren't going to add an AWD system plus batteries and motors without adding weight.

I guess if you eliminate the V8 option and go 4 cylinder only, then you can make the Mustang quite a bit smaller, add the AWD and hybrid stuff back in and MAYBE then you won't gain much weight.

Maybe they should call it Focus if they do all that, though.
The part I object to is the raising it, adding more weight, a big ugly grill and only 500 hp.

If you do not lose weight, the extra horsepower nets you nothing more than more stops at the fuel pumps or electrical outlets.

I would rather the car lose weight than have AWD.

If anything, they need to lower the roof 2-4 inches, add more aluminum, remove the long empty overhanging nose to shorten it a bit. Then cut 2-4 inches out of it width and bring it back to its roots. If the backseats aren't meant for butts, they should lighten them up.

Then, offer a model sans toys and that includes all the cooper wiring that goes with it.

Then, lock the engineers in a room and force them to make safety much lighter. For what they charge, they had better.

With the tech available today, I see little reason they cannot get a ICE car under 3700 lbs. Put the 500hp in that and you have something. I bet they could get it below 3500 if they really wanted to.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
no, because IIRC, they don't have a multi gear transmission. Unlike ICE cars, they don't have a narrow power band. Aka, they only have 1 gear to go forward. No need to shift at all.
I think Porsche actually has a 2-speed transmission for some sort of EV application. Not that that amounts to a whole lot of improvement for the driver, though . . .

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Well that won't work for Norm. He does not believe that a gas pedal, brake pedal, and steering wheel are sufficient for proper driving involvement. I'm not saying he's wrong just that I do not think we will ever see him in an EV. :like: :giggle:
I don't see it happening, either. Not in the context of any street or real road course driving.

Electric indoor karts are a different story, though

Norm

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The part I object to is the raising it, adding more weight, a big ugly grill and only 500 hp.

If you do not lose weight, the extra horsepower nets you nothing more than more stops at the fuel pumps or electrical outlets.

I would rather the car lose weight than have AWD.

If anything, they need to lower the roof 2-4 inches, add more aluminum, remove the long empty overhanging nose to shorten it a bit. Then cut 2-4 inches out of it width and bring it back to its roots. If the backseats aren't meant for butts, they should lighten them up.

Then, offer a model sans toys and that includes all the cooper wiring that goes with it.

Then, lock the engineers in a room and force them to make safety much lighter. For what they charge, they had better.

With the tech available today, I see little reason they cannot get a ICE car under 3700 lbs. Put the 500hp in that and you have something. I bet they could get it below 3500 if they really wanted to.
I totally agree with you that making a vehicle heavier and taller is not the way to do a sporty and efficient car, but the current car market is full of 4,000++ lb hybrid vehicles. Just look at the Mach E to see the direction of the future. I'm also fine with AWD as an option as long as the car isn't too porky.

Some of those changes you are espousing sound like the current Camaro. There may be a car exactly like what you want already on the market. I would only want the Mustang's roof lowered if the hood, seats and trunk could be lowered with it. I don't want to be in a cave, thank you. It's definitely possible to make a smaller, lighter Mustang like you are suggesting, though. But it might be limited what they can do while keeping a DOHC V8 - unless they redesign the V8 to make it significantly smaller.

I'd love it if the next gen Mustang (with or without AWD) is smaller and lighter - but it has to keep a spacious cabin and good headroom. My 944 is tiny, structurally overbuilt, fits a 6'4" person like me easily with tons of headroom, and has great visibility. Of course it only came with a 4 popper, but you can fit a V8 under the hood.

If they did do away with the V8, but made the future Mustang much closer to 944 size that would be amazing. A 3,000 - 3,400 lb vehicle with a 300-400 hp 4 cylinder turbo and RWD or AWD. Not Mustang II sized - even smaller. I'd be interested in that. It could even get awesome fuel economy on the highway.

But if the V8 goes away, there's AWD plus whatever new drivetrain options they select and the Mustang stays big - why buy?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Electric motors are not like that. It's simply a new technology. That said, when Norm starts getting embarrassed at the light when some EV takes off like a bat outa hell and he's still dumping his cluch...
Won't bother me in the slightest. Standing-start racing just isn't my 'thing'. As in, not at all.

To put it simply, by not needing a transmission to manage your power band because you are always IN the powerband
I don't think that's exactly true. Even electric motors are not constant torque, constant power, or constant efficiency devices.

you can focus on getting the optimal entry speed for that corner and then putting the power down again as soon as you can when exiting that turn. It gives you just a little bit of your brainpower back to better manage what you SHOULD be doing, which is driving.
I don't think that getting corner entry or corner exit right is as dependent on whether or not you have to do any shifting as you're implying. There's a half second or so happening here and there where you might be coasting (or perhaps braking less than what was possible), but minimizing those effects is part of the challenge.

Norm

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
A mustang is just like the. Vette it goes with the times. Very few brands can stay alive by not changing. The 911 is the best example, while Harley is dying a slow and painful death

the best way for Ford to handle this is by not trying to make an NSX like Chevy is rumored to do with the Eray. Instead they need to do what they’ve done in the explorer, f150 and make it a mild hybrid

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
Yes and yes. Here's irrefutable proof:

2019-hooni-yule-log-video.jpg

If this build is an '11', I'll gladly take a '5' from the factory.
(wishes for a notchback AWD/Hybrid V8 Mustang with a usable 2nd row (2 or 3 seater) seat...until I remembered the Hoonicorn probably only seats 1 or 2 adults---:crying:)

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Yes and yes. Here's irrefutable proof:

2019-hooni-yule-log-video.jpg

If this build is an '11', I'll gladly take a '5' from the factory.
And poor old mohawk sporting rad saying, douche flute smoking Mr Block had to give it, and the rest of Ford cars back to Ford haha.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Honestly, I love my stang and for the money (E85 tune mild bolt on) it is a great value. But, even on PS4’s below 75 degrees, the first 3 shifts are a handful on the A10 3.55’s. It is fun and butt puckering on city streets. I’d be cool with awd v8 in the end.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The more I consider it the more I think Mustang should stay RWD. I would be fine if Ford built an option that had AWD, but I would prefer not to see all Mustangs become AWD.

Unless it has enough power that it has trouble hooking even with AWD. Like 700-800 or more hp. Then yes please AWD.
Sponsored