Sponsored

Do you want to see an AWD Mustang? Is it still a Mustang?

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
Are you seriously asking why Ford is replacing S550? By 2022 when S650 comes out, the S550 will have been on sale for 8 model years with only one significant refresh. In this day and age that is an eternity for a product.

S650 will replace S550. End of.

If Ford wants to continue the relatively good sales of Mustang, it needs to keep it fresh. But times are hard, so you don't throw everything out and start again. You keep the good bits that only need a tweak, and refresh the rest.

So, for S650 I expect:

Heavily revised S550 "platform" with the use of more lightweight materials, incorporating good bits of CD6. Enough changes to justify a new program name of S650.

All new exterior design
All new interior design

Tweak the Coyote to Gen 4 (perhaps up to 480hp stock)
Tweak the 10-speed (perhaps give it the Mach 1 specs)
Give it the 6-speed Tremec from the Mach 1

As for a Mustang family? Personally I'd rather they didn't. The Mach E is as far removed from what a Mustang stands for as is possible in my book. However, if they have to expand the family then a low slung 4 door coupe to compete with the likes of the Kia Stinger/Audi Sportback etc. Keep it RWD. This, for me, is what the "sensible" Mustang choice should be. Not a tall, high riding SUV.

Any other new variants? Ford already has some superb names to call on. 2 seater sports car? Thunderbird. Sporing RWD sedan? Falcon.
It will be a new chassis based on the CD6 platform, not the S550.

Let's face it, they are going to need to electrify at least some mustang models at some point. It's just the way the industry is going. It doesn't mean they will all be, but some very good performing cars are hybrid or all electric. Yes, I hope to get at least one more V8 vehicle (I've owned V8s since I started buying my own cars out of college), but at some point, I know it will have to be replaced with either a hybrid or electric. If they can get the electric charging times (recharge or battery swap) down to a 5-10 minute process like refueling with gas is, then I really don't see a downside. Less pollution, better performance.

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
Personally I'd love a Mustang with AWD. I'd have more peace of mind in the winter if snow ever stayed on the ground. Granted I'm not a very aggressive driver in less-than-ideal road conditions...but having that feature would be nice. Although I'd wonder what kind of powertrain they'd use for an AWD Mustang.

A V8 or V6 without piped-in engine/exhaust noise would be ideal for the soundphile in me. Especially with talk of a potential hybrid setup option for the next gen Mustang, getting at the very least EcoBoost fuel economy would be great!

Then again, I consider myself a non-typical Mustang guy and more of a general car enthusiast. I suppose as they say, your mileage and fuel economy may vary. :wink:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If you want an AWD Mustang, it’s called the Bronco/end thread.

Sponsored

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
With the Corvette going over to a different layout, it got me thinking what could be the next incarnation of the Mustang in the future. We all know that being front engine and rear drive has certain limitations and the less powered C8 doing very well against a much more powered GT500.

Do you think Mustang will need to become a all wheel drive vehicle to help it get the power down?

Do you think it is still a Mustang or should Ford make a separate nameplate for an AWD car?
I hope not but I wouldn't put it past them after the Mach-E was released. My bet would be a AWD electric coupe is in the near future. Ford is going to be changing gears towards electric vehicles now. They just announced their electric F-150 last week.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Im ok with anything that will make the mustang perform better. Im good with AWD. But it has to be something that doesn't cause a huge price increase. Mustangs should be affordable.

sotek2345

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2016 F-150
I like the approach Dodge took, AWD available on the base model for those who want it. I could also see an AWD hybrid or electric high performance version in the future. Not a negative as long as RWD is still offered.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
We might need a new thread specific to the business case of expanding a popular and aesthetically coherent design language from one vehicle design to a broader range of vehicles.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/15/gm-...e-a-crossover-suv.html?recirc=taboolainternal

To reiterate my previous posts, I have compared:
1. the extension of the 911 design language to an extensive line up of profitable vehicles
2. Mustang (all generations), S550, S650, MachE, Mustang pickup.
2b. S650 chassis with shared drivetrain derivative support (not sure all thats public on this but AWD S650 etc.

I am adding:
3. Corvette
4. 2019 Lamborghini Urus

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
If they can get the electric charging times (recharge or battery swap) down to a 5-10 minute process like refueling with gas is, then I really don't see a downside. Less pollution, better performance.
All that and less . . . driver input/involvement, that is. For example, do you expect to see an EV with even a paddle-shifted automatic?

Norm

Sponsored

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
All that and less . . . driver input/involvement, that is. For example, do you expect to see an EV with even a paddle-shifted automatic?

Norm
no, because IIRC, they don't have a multi gear transmission. Unlike ICE cars, they don't have a narrow power band. Aka, they only have 1 gear to go forward. No need to shift at all.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
no, because IIRC, they don't have a multi gear transmission. Unlike ICE cars, they don't have a narrow power band. Aka, they only have 1 gear to go forward. No need to shift at all.
Well that won't work for Norm. He does not believe that a gas pedal, brake pedal, and steering wheel are sufficient for proper driving involvement. I'm not saying he's wrong just that I do not think we will ever see him in an EV. :like: :giggle:

Sergeant Gearhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Sure, I wouldn't mind if Ford built an AWD Mustang. Make it in combination with the hybrid we saw in that patent and I'd be happy with that. It would certainly give an excuse for us Midwesterners to own a pony car. My only ask is that Ford should make AWD only available on the hybrids and the next GT500 (because that basically has less traction and stability than an elephant on roller skates). Everything else should be RWD-only.

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
Well that won't work for Norm. He does not believe that a gas pedal, brake pedal, and steering wheel are sufficient for proper driving involvement. I'm not saying he's wrong just that I do not think we will ever see him in an EV. :like: :giggle:
For a car that has a narrow power band like internal combustion engines do, yes, you need to use transmissions to keep that car in the optimal range for both efficiency when desired, and power when that is desired.
Electric motors are not like that. It's simply a new technology. That said, when Norm starts getting embarrassed at the light when some EV takes off like a bat outa hell and he's still dumping his cluch...
To put it simply, by not needing a transmission to manage your power band because you are always IN the powerband, you can focus on getting the optimal entry speed for that corner and then putting the power down again as soon as you can when exiting that turn. It gives you just a little bit of your brainpower back to better manage what you SHOULD be doing, which is driving.

Yes, I agree, I want to drive, which is why I want a car I can drive, not one that will drive for me. However, I would happily buy my 80+ year old mother a fully autonomous self driving EV today if one existed so that she would not have to worry about things on the road these days. She could start visiting friends she has not seen in 4 years because she refuses to drive outside a 5 mile radius of her house. Or go visit her grandson who goes to college in her state once the vaccines are given out and the pandemic eases (if it eases)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Definitely making the Mustang AWD will make it more like the Mach E, Explorer, etc. Just raise it up a little more, 300 more lbs, big beefy front grill, and 500 hybrid hp. Great, right?
Sponsored