Sponsored

Do you want to see an AWD Mustang? Is it still a Mustang?

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
Well if we look at all the modern cars that have fast 0-60 times they’re mostly all either AWD or midengine. Therefore in the evolution of the mustang the limitation of traction has to be removed or the weight of the car has to be reduced. The C8 weighs 3650 pounds an A10 mustang weighs 3800 lbs and the horsepower is fairly close yet the C8 is a full second faster to 60. What’s the point of making a 7-800 horsepower car and throwing in a super expensive engine to do it and still be limited by traction. So either the mustang needs to lose weight or figure out how to get better traction and do more with less.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The Kia Stinger already did this - RWD or AWD. The AWD actually sucks performance-wise compared to it's RWD sister.

I have no beef with front wheels being electric-driven and yes remaining a Mustang. If I was the product planner I'd combine the 2.7EB or 3.5EB with ~40Kw electric front drive. There would be an 'auto' augmentation mode, a 'disable' button, and a slow-drive on pure-electric mode which is just a simple spinoff on the auto-start/stop hotness (/sarc) used in the F150.

And Ford Marketing needs to shit-can this notion that the V8 has to be the top dog. Continue to offer it, by all means. But it's STUPID to hamstring your entire lineup over a nonsense throwback to the long-dead era. If the 2.7EB+elec can blow the V8 out of the water, that's a good thing.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
And Ford Marketing needs to shit-can this notion that the V8 has to be the top dog. Continue to offer it, by all means. But it's STUPID to hamstring your entire lineup over a nonsense throwback to the long-dead era. If the 2.7EB+elec can blow the V8 out of the water, that's a good thing.
I don’t think it’s just ford marketing. It’s the consumer, look at the ford GT sure it’s a super car that uses a twin turbo V6 but it doesn’t sound good. If I’m spending the money on the pinnacle of performance for a given model I want it to sound good and frankly I haven’t heard an ecoboost that sounds as good as a V8.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, ford is doing it, in some fashion but that doesn't answer my questions as to YOUR opinion of it

Do you think Mustang will need to become an all wheel drive vehicle?

Do you think it is still a Mustang or should Ford make a separate nameplate for an AWD car?
Will it need to be AWD? Perhaps not, but it may need to pick up some electronic assist to meet MPG requirements in the future.

Should it be Mustang? Considering how they're using the Mustang brand now with that Mach-E SUV monstrosity, I think it certainly could be a Mustang. I don't think an AWD model in the lineup along side RWD drivetrains is a problem.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I'd love an AWD Mustang. RWD sucks for a high powered FI street car and AWD, while having more drivetrain losses, would make the power way more usable and launching actually possible.

Honestly though, I would be surprised if it happened.

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Ferrari is working on it.........

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
They should put AWD in the supercharged Shelby models. Or why not offer a turbo coyote? :) With that much horsepower it only makes sense.

Sins550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0 PP
Nope doesn't need it. Just cut weight and move over to turbos

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Nope I'm not really interested in an AWD Mustang. AWD and Mustang are somewhat counter in my mind. AWD is for timid people who are afraid of driving when there's not an abundance of traction. The joy of the Mustang is how it appeals to our inner hooligan, with loss of traction ready to occur at a moment's notice.

This is why I'm a Mustang guy rather than a Porsche 911 owner. One, I really don't want to spend 911 money, but the other reason is the 911 is for a more mature person than me. I do have to admit that cars like the WRX and Focus RS appeal to me, but they just don't appeal enough for me to buy one. Either would probably be a lot of fun on a occasional snowy day, but the rest of the year I would be so bored I just couldn't stand it.

Now as a special edition Mustang with 1,000 HP? HECK YEAH I could get behind that. But as a hybrid with an ECOboost engine to scrimp a tenth of a percent fuel economy on the EPA loop? Naw.

Sponsored

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
I don’t want to see any of these family of Mustang bad ideas come to fruition but the Mach E opened pandora’s Box. It is telling to me they didn’t show that abomination at Carlisle. An AWD variant is probably the least offensive and damaging to the brand...I wouldn’t buy one. A four door to me is as bad as the electric Mazda cuv that got a pony emblem.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Do you think Mustang will need to become a all wheel drive vehicle to help it get the power down?
I do not think that it needs to be but as an option I think it would increase sales.

Do you think it is still a Mustang or should Ford make a separate nameplate for an AWD car?
If it’s a S650 or a S750 it’s a Mustang. The number of driven wheels should not be a factor.

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
The perfect outcome would be an awd v8 mustang with the option of hitting a button which would switch it to rwd.
Also it needs to loose weight maybe do it a little smaller an use lighter components.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The perfect outcome would be an awd v8 mustang with the option of hitting a button which would switch it to rwd.
Also it needs to loose weight maybe do it a little smaller an use lighter components.
AWD would make the Mustang heavier, not lighter. I agree the Mustang needs to lose weight. Another good reason to avoid an AWD system.

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
AWD doesn’t concern me.
If they do make it electric they need to make it muscular also...
Sponsored