Sponsored

Do you use your OEM wheels for snow tires or buy a second set?

Nickyweg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKC
Going to be needing to buy some snow tires for my 20 GT. I’m unsure if it’s worth it to buy a second set of wheels or to just use my normal wheels that it came with. What does everyone else do here?

I have the stock black paint 18 inch wheels.
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Definitely second set of wheels. Unless instead of spending 20 minutes to swap the wheels you'd be rather going to tire service place to have them mounted... Also, second cheap set would quickly pay for itself (unless you have tire machine & balancer at home), if you have a second set, it's a no brainer.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Second set. I went with 19x9 Ford Performance Boss 302 wheels, so no need for spacers, no need for centering rings, and I can run a rotatable square setup for the winter tires.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Buy a second set. You can get stock wheel in the for sale section for next to nothing.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I suggest a smaller wheel with narrower rim, if you can find one that fits your Mustang. They are much better at handling snow than and bad roads.

Sponsored

HolubS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium Plus Coupe in Lightning Blue
I bought a set of cheap black 17" rims for my car from Tirerack, with slightly narrower and taller sidewall tires. Have had good luck with the Michelin X-Ice tires getting around.
2018 Mustang Snow Tire.jpg

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
Using my 18” oem as winters and I have my nice aftermarket rims for summer.

OP
OP

Nickyweg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKC
I bought a set of cheap black 17" rims for my car from Tirerack, with slightly narrower and taller sidewall tires. Have had good luck with the Michelin X-Ice tires getting around.
2018 Mustang Snow Tire.jpg
But would 17s fit on a GT? I know the GT has bigger brakes than the EB.

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
Second set for sure. Stock 18" for the taller and narrower "advantage" over the snow.

It is worth it to reduce the number of times the tire shop has to man handle your rims to swap the rubber. Plus you can take just the tires in when it is time for new rubber so they won't man handle your car either.

Sponsored

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
I bought a dirt cheap set of steel rims with Bridgestone Blizzaks ws80 for $300. Non PP car the 18x8" fit fine. They have approx 50% tread left on the rears and tested in heavy snow here North of Toronto this February.

Car handles really good I could easily daily drive this thing. I did add about 75lbs of weight in the trunk.

Steel rims are hella ugly but they wont leak and are super strong!

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
OEM wheels are being used as winter wheels since narrow tires are better in the snow and cheaper.

I run nicer looking and wider aftermarket wheels and tires in the summer when dry grip matters more.

Chola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rajarajan
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord 2005. 2019 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Buy a second set. You can get stock wheel in the for sale section for next to nothing.
That's what I did, and now have two identical set of wheels. Now wonder if I should have gotten a different set for a different look in winter.

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
I bought a set of 18" GT wheels for around 150 in pretty good shape with TPMS sensors in them, which I thought was a hell of a deal, and now only put them on when needed. I found some Toyo 235 50 18 unstudded tires on Craigslist so thats my snow set up. And even though I have the compact spare, when I go on a road trip, I throw a spare un studded snow tire in the trunk in case of emergency. Beats mounting up that compact spare. My car (Cal Special) uses 19 X 8.5 up front and 19 X 10.5 in the rear, (I had them widended) and all of them are about the same diameter.
Sponsored