Sponsored

Do you think we will ever see the "HO" 3.5L TT V6 in a Mustang?

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
Looking back and contemplating mustang product development (as I always do) , was Ford ever seriously considering having the HO 3.5 V6 EcoBoost in a top speciality Mustang? Perhaps early on as a serious contender for the 'GT500's engine?

Kind of interesting as Ford usually puts their flagship car's motor in some Mustang or sporty body - this time around its in a Raptor and it has been accepted very well there. Perhaps market research really did prove not having a V8 would bother prospective customers.

I think it would still make a great sub sub performance model (maybe something more along the lines of a grande , a RC or 4 series competitor...) but again maybe in a different universe / car buying market.
Sponsored

Bender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB GT350R HR909, 22 AB GT500 CFTP
I wouldn't say its been accepted very well. Many just put up and shut up, I got rid of my 17 because I hated the 10 speed and V6 combo. I still hope one day a V8 graces the raptor again. I hope the new 7 + liter super duty V8 someday fins its way into the raptors. Especially if Dodge gets Ram Rebel TRX on the road, I can see many raptor owners dumping them for the Dodge. The V6 has its spot in the raptor though. Some do genuinely like them and its great for the Chinese export market.

That being said, I doubt the HO V6 will be in a mustang one day. Fords had great success in North American and aboard with the 2.3 Ecoboost and I could see a ramped up version of that coming down the line. I can't say never though because who really knows

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
It would be a true disgrace if there was a v6 in a GT500. :angry::curse:

Sponsored

Wolvee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
For now it's probably too much competition with the Coyote but eventually, something will be TT less than 8cyl. The way FOMOCO makes business decisions, I imagine they'll make the worst possible decision at the worst possible time.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
A TT v6 in a gt500 is stupid.

Develop the v8 as a Twin turbo engine and it curbstomps the 6.

The next GT should sport an 8 as well.

But electrification May spoil some of the internal combustion engine fun.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Things have changed. Almost any engine or no engine (electric) can be fast and powerful. IMO owning and driving a halo car has become about the overall experience, and power is just one part of that. If the engine doesn't sound good, it doesn't matter whether it wins in Daytona Prototype cars or if some version of it was in a race car, many of us won't want the car. I would probably be in a newer Porsche or BMW if I enjoyed the engine sound and power delivery more than I do in my Mustang.

I think Ford has figured out that many Mustang owners don't want a TT V6 in their halo Mustang. I know I don't. I'm sure they could figure out how to get it in there if they really wanted to. And it can make plenty of power. But I'd rather have less power if the only other option is a car that sounds like garbage. I can't use the power all the time, but I hear the sound every time I fire up the engine.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
The more things change...

The more they stay the same.

In reality, Ford can get much more power from a v8 reliably.

It’s about what they want to do.

Someone wants a 6. So they got it.

That’s really all there is to it.

When someone wants an 8 paid attention to the same way the 6 was, it’s game on.

Yes, you can get a turbo 6 that’s more powerful than s normally aspirated 8.

But that’s not apples to apples. If your going to talk about An turbo 6, then it must be compared to a TURBO 8. Not a naturally aspirated 8. Not a supercharged 8. A TURBO 8.

Will the turbo 8 curbstomp the 6? Well...yes.

Will it be more economical than an N/A 8 or supercharged 8? Again, yes.

It’s a win-win. But certain folks just want a 6. They had their way. When someone with a bit more chest hair wants resources allocated to developing an 8 in the same manner, we will be tested to something special.

So yes, you can build an amazing, fast, enjoyable sports car with a turbo 6.

But you can build a more amazing, fastER, more enjoyable car with a turbo 8.

And we are already getting much more power from a SUPERCHARGED 8. Imagine a twin turbo.

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost
No for the GT500, but a 3.5 HO engine in a Mustang with another badge would be just fine, with a price tag close to a GT. What are the weight comparisons to a 5.0? I think the 450 HP 3.5 would be fun if they decide to do it. Do not call it a GT or GT500. Just another option.

Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
No for the GT500, but a 3.5 HO engine in a Mustang with another badge would be just fine, with a price tag close to a GT. What are the weight comparisons to a 5.0? I think the 450 HP 3.5 would be fun if they decide to do it. Do not call it a GT or GT500. Just another option.
The EcoBoost is around 450lbs (google). The coyote is like 430 if memory serves, and the voodoo around 415.

V6 with turbos and plumbing isn’t light lol.

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost
The EcoBoost is around 450lbs (google). The coyote is like 430 if memory serves, and the voodoo around 415.

V6 with turbos and plumbing isn’t light lol.
I see thanks. I thought i remembered the first gen 3.5 weighing less than the 5.0 in the f150s, but the engine package could be different in the mustang 5.0, especially since that was back in 2011-2014

And i may be misremembering completely.
Sponsored

Last edited: