Sponsored

Do you think having the car winched out of the mud by a wheel would’ve damaged anything ?

Nickyweg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKC
So I got my car stuck in some mud and had to be winched out. They tied a rope through the wheels and winched me out that way. Do you think that could have caused any damage?

I’ve noticed sometimes it will jolt itself over a little bit, but I’m not sure if that’s attributed to tram-lining due to putting wider wheels on recently.
Sponsored

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know but that sounds like asking for trouble.

EdwardS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edward
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
It wouldn't be my ideal method of pulling a car out but it should be fine as long as they didn't have a running start and yanked the wheel hard. But at the end of the day if the car doesn't pull or vibrate after they got you out, I'm sure it's fine. Only two things could happen, subframe shift or suspension shift or bent wheel and you'd feel one or both of those things driving on the freeway, no doubt.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Unless the truck accelerated to 90MPH to yank your car out, it's fine.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I'd think how it was pulled out would be the biggest factor. If it was pulled straight forward or backwards it would be safer than pulling sideways or at an acute angle.
But if you're driving with no odd noises or vibrations you're probably fine.

OP
OP

Nickyweg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKC
No vibrations or anything. The dealer didn’t seem to find anything. I still feel like it drifts to the left, but I’m not sure if I’m just being a hypochondriac.

this pull out happened like 4 months ago, so I’d assume I’d see tire wear if the alignment was bad.
Might have it looked at by my normal dealer when I get my next oil change to see if it needs an alignment

3pdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 mustang gt pp1, '82 f150
did they check the alignment?

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
I'd +1 checking alignment if there's no clear and obvious bending of components.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
As someone who towed for 23 years, I have never heard of a car being damaged while winch pulling with a sling around a wheel spoke. It is the quickest and easiest way, and doesn't damage the car. (there is the potential for very minor scuffs on a highly finished wheel with a soft strap though)

Sponsored
OP
OP

Nickyweg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKC
I did get some scuffs. I was worried because they had me turn the wheel fully to each side when pulling me out. It took a lot of strength to keep it turned, so I was worried it bent something.
Im getting my oil changed next week at my normal dealer and they said they’d check the alignment for me.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Car is probably fine but I can't say the same for your pride. Sounds like a good time in the Mustang!

OP
OP

Nickyweg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKC
Car is probably fine but I can't say the same for your pride. Sounds like a good time in the Mustang!
Had to serve into the grassy median after a large piece of metal flew off a semi.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Had to serve into the grassy median after a large piece of metal flew off a semi.
Awe damn! I'm sorry then... I was picturing crazy donuts or some some fun shenanigans in a muddy field. Still don't think the tow would have messed up your car up though. 🤞
Sponsored