Sponsored

Do you see the upcoming Mach 1 an improvement over the Bullitt?

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tacoma, 2020 Miata, MB E350
I was starting to focus in on the Bullitt and then started reading some releases on the Mach 1. Like the understated look of the Bullitt much better however the TR3160 definitely has its' advantages over the MT82. I can see why Ford decided to let the MT82 go for the Mach 1 but do folks see a huge advantage with the 3160 that would sway their opinion not to buy the Bullitt?
Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I was starting to focus in on the Bullitt and then started reading some releases on the Mach 1. Like the understated look of the Bullitt much better however the TR3160 definitely has its' advantages over the MT82. I can see why Ford decided to let the MT82 go for the Mach 1 but do folks see a huge advantage with the 3160 that would sway their opinion not to buy the Bullitt?
I'd rather have the Mach 1 over the bullitt, but no A10 with the top package. Kills it for me.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
If you're a track guy then yes, go Mach1. I've never had any issues with the MT82 and I'm now on my 2nd Mustang with it.

I personally prefer the Bullitt as to me it's more of a gentleman's Mustang - understated and more "mature" for us somewhat older guys. :)

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
Lloyd, Lou,
Thanks for the opinion. I will never track the car and I do like the looks of the Bullitt better than the Mach 1. Would love the Tremec but as you said Lou the MT82 for most works fine and most who have had issues run it hard. If there were issues I could always have it rebuilt(Ben Calmer) or bite the bullet and have a 3160 put in the car. I had a 2012 S197 with the 6 sp and with a MGW shifter it was not bad. I know they have gone through some improvement since mine in 2012 so the odds of issues are unlikely for a weekend non tracked car.

Beetleything

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rocket Ship - Space Cadet :)
I like the DHG of the Bullitt but not the MT82 or some of the badging.
To me the new 2021 mach 1 is an interesting option - same engine with improvements - Tremac gear change - stiffer sway bars - GT350 oil cooler and filter - better rear diffuser and tail pipes - upgraded Magnaride etc.

Just get it in an understated colour with no stripes and remove the Mach 1 badges on the side and you have a great car that is as undercover as the Bullitt.
I will be checking it out when it comes to the dealerships next year.

Sponsored

blackk3389

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
WILL
Vehicle(s)
'19 BULLITT#3389, '03 cobra vert#2198,2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
If you're a track guy then yes, go Mach1. I've never had any issues with the MT82 and I'm now on my 2nd Mustang with it.

I personally prefer the Bullitt as to me it's more of a gentleman's Mustang - understated and more "mature" for us somewhat older guys. :)
I have to agree on all of this, especially on the us older guys thing. the most comfortable mustang i have ever owned. I also am on #2 with this trans

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
I do like the DHG. I also like the idea of the coolers and track goodies however will never track the car so they are just something to go wrong or make it less comfortable on the road. I do have a great track car now but have no real interest in taking it to the track. One of the reasons I am looking at trading is to get more comfort. I think the track set up on the Mach 1 would just take away from the comfort as it is hard to have both at this price point. I would be surprised if the Mach 1 was as comfortable on the road as the Bullitt even if both had magneRide. But that is just my assessment and opinion..

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
El-guapin, I think you are right...
Could be that when the Mach 1 drops that there may be some good prices on Bullitts in dealers inventory but could be wrong.. Not sure if I want to chance it but then I think some will trade their Bullitt on the Mach 1 but again could be wrong..

Beetleything

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rocket Ship - Space Cadet :)
Drive both - there are always going to be Bullitts for sale used - there are 4 near me now all with less than 2000kms - one has 444kms apparently the wife didn't like Manual - the spanish gearbox ;)

Sponsored

zack.whitford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
The obvious "advantage" is the transmission but like others have stated I have never had an issue with the MT82. I have driven a GT350 with the Tremec and it is fantastic but I legitimately enjoy the Chinese gearbox in our cars and I feel that the majority of complaints about it originate from people who don't know how to drive well.

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
Beetley,
Think you may be right. I have heard that there are a good amount of Bullitts left on lots and had not looked at any preowned. Would have no issue with a preowned. I got my present vehicle CPO with only 3000 miles and 4 years of factory warranty and it was flawless so I am sure they are out there. It is nice to let someone else pick up a lot of the depreciation.

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
Zack,
I agree about issues with the MT82 and drivers. I admit that the Tremec was the main reason I looked at the Mach 1 but had an early MT82 on a S197 and with a MGW shifter it never gave me an issue.

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
If both were on sale when I bought mine I'm not sure what i would have ended up with, but no regrets with the Bullitt over the GT350 for daily driving. I drove a used 17 350 and then my 19 Bullitt. where the GT350 is by all means a fantastic car, the Bullitt was just a more comfortable daily.
I have owned 4 mustangs with the MT82 and never had an issue with it (watch mine will implode on itself now that i said this). The longer gearing on the 18+ took some getting used to but other than that no complaints.
with that being said i do not see myself running in to trade the Bullitt for the Mach 1. I have fallen for this car and do not see myself getting bored with it anytime soon.

OP
OP

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
Lou,
Thanks for the information. I agree about the higher gearing and wished Ford would have kept it lower. I guess I could do 4:09 rear gears which may help but as you said, it just takes some getting used to. The PDK I drive now is geared way to high as well but again you can get used to it as I have. Hopefully, your MT82 will last for years.
Sponsored