Sponsored

Do you hide your car part purchases or make them sound less then they are?

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Why are guys so attracted to the prima-donna type women rather then those woman that share the same Primary interests as themselves . There are quite a few gear head women out there nowadays and if you have one then she will understand what your doing with your hobby without issue. Yeah it will take longer to find one but isn’t it worth it to be with someone that shares the same interests rather then being in a relationship where they just want to be your mother dictating how the both of your lives will proceed. Folks say opposites attract but Committed relationships are about compatibility not opposites..These days folks are so diverse that opposites “distract “!.. Bridge the gap and achieve balance, & then it shouldn’t matter if you drop $2k on an exhaust system..
Sponsored

Last edited:

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)

USMCGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
‘18 GT PP1, Jeep TJ, Jeep Grand Cherokee , Audi TT
It’s kind of an ongoing joke in my house. My wife will say “Are those new wheels?” Me: “What? those ratty old things, nah been on the car since I bought it”.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
What car/motorcycle parts purchases?:cwl::crackup:

Actually, it isn't an issue. I have a separate 'hobby fund' that gets an allotment every pay check. We've agreed to this, so as long as I use this fund, there is no issue. I'm always buying/selling cars/motorcycles/parts, and run it all out of that separate account so it never effects the family budget. I usually flip one or two projects a year to fund the account too. Just flipped a motorcycle I picked up for $100. Put $400 into it, cleaned it up, got it looking and running well, and sold for $2500. So no need to hide or deceive.

Boundaries trust and respect are important in every relationship. Violate any of those 3 and you are in for trouble. Back in the day, while starting off (early 80's) it was only $25 a week. Hobby purchases were fewer and further between, but that was what we could afford. Now it is a bit more, but I still maintain the same habit. If I have a part or gun I want to buy and have the $$ in the account I go for it, If not, I wait till I do.

She has the same, and we may roll our eyes at some of the purchases, but in all, we support each other.

Last edited:

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Definitely. Usually one of two things happens:

1) If it's a big box that I can't hide or something that she sees first, I tell her that it's used and I'll actually make money by selling the part it replaces. (Wheels are the big item here, for both the Mustang and my truck.) If I ever find someone who wants to sell me their Recaros, it's going to fall into this category too.

2) She constantly orders whatever she wants from Amazon and Stitch Fix and basically dares me to call her out for spending too much on crap. Which of course I can't do because even though it's a lot, it's nowhere near what I spent on the car and mods.

But in the end we both know that if money gets tight the Mustang will go, because it's happened 3 times before. So there's a little grumbling on both sides but for now we're happy! :like:

Sponsored

JDUBU

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
When my car was stock we raced a zo6 and lost. She looked at me and said I needed to "do your thing so this doesn't happen again". Parts have been coming from beefcake since April! Gotta have a relationship where both parties understand common priorities and individual happiness. We enjoy the car together and theres no secrets on what it cost to make power.

WhatTheFetch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
19 Bullitt / 15 BMW M3
Vehicle Showcase
My wife and I are pretty much Yin & Yang. She indulges my hobbies (Cars and Guitars) and I stay out of her way when it comes to the house. We usually don’t have any discussions about purchases although she might ask when did you get the
. (wheels / exhaust / etc.) fortunately she is pretty cool MOST :whew: of the time. I certainly don’t comment on the multiple deliveries she gets per week. The yin and yang part is that while I don’t mind paying up for a brand, she is extremely frugal. Win win in my book. :rockon:

I did learn that Its not a good idea to show up in new car without running by her first.
That didn’t go over very well at all. :facepalm:

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I don't intentionally hide anything from the missus, but in general I finance my car hobby with other sources of income other than our family income. I sell old stuff, occasional side hustle and such. We have a joint financial goal for our retirement so our salaries go to our living and that. So she's not aware of the exact amounts I spend, until she occasionally inquires ;)

Mind you, she's the one that insisted I just buy the damn Mustang after she kept catching me looking up dealer inventories! She also insisted I don't sell our convertible BMW to help pay for it or sell my daily driver so I can keep the Mustang stored during winter months. Originally I was going to sell both those cars and use the Mustang year round, but she insisted not to do that. I married well!

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
When the Mustang spends an entire week at the speed shop for some "upgrades" she gets a little suspicious since the last trip to the speed shop cost over a grand and that was for one day. I did let her go out and buy a new Jeep Trailhawk a few weeks ago so brakes and a tune are next with no questions asked.

Shocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO Mustang GT
My fiancĂ© doesn’t care as long as I don’t make us broke. Don’t hide anything from her. She’s a gear head too.

Sponsored

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
We'll have to get those tee shirts that say ' My biggest fear, is that when I die, my wife will sell my car parts for what i said i paid for them'.

All kidding aside, I don't say anything when she buys her stuff and she doesn't say anything (much) when I buy stuff. We've been married for 31 years and I outspend her by a long shot. :)

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
I wouldn't be in a relationship where someone tried to control what I spent my money on. Never had this problem with my wife and I'm not sure how to take it when men say they have to hide their purchases.

Blufc3s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Premium GT PP1, 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 Manual
Vehicle Showcase
My greatest fear is that when i die my wife will sell my cars for what i told her i paid for them.

Not really the case in my situation after 51 years of marriage.
The only thing she objects to is when I start talking about starting a “project” involving lots of labour, crawling under the car, etc. She thinks I’m too old. She would be ok with any new stuff.

Wine dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT 350
Absolutely car parts I send to my mechanics shop hard to hide them, guns on the other hand are much easier, bring them in an old case and put them in plain site until she says can u put that away, or if questioned oh yea I am just hold it for Joe or if she says is that new? no it’s been here and u have seen it before, however bring in additional safes for all of them was a chore
Sponsored