Do you ever think about getting Track Insurance

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Short version - You pay per 10k of insured value. First 10% is the deductible.
$80k insured value total loss = $8k out of pocket

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
Not really interested in watching the YooToober, but I buy track insurance before every HPDE weekend for my GT350. $270 for a full, 3-day HPDE weekend, for a 10% deductible on a $46k stated value is a no-brainer to me. I can control how I drive on track, but I have no control over the other drivers in my HPDE sessions. YMMV.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
just look in the HPDE section for numerous threads already on this.

Jbraun2828

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350
Not really interested in watching the YooToober, but I buy track insurance before every HPDE weekend for my GT350. $270 for a full, 3-day HPDE weekend, for a 10% deductible on a $46k stated value is a no-brainer to me. I can control how I drive on track, but I have no control over the other drivers in my HPDE sessions. YMMV.
That is very reasonable for a weekend. Who are you using for insurance?

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Nope. At 30+ track days a year (well, except for this year), it's just not economical for me. Plus, I like how much it keeps the ego in check knowing I have no safety net.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Nope. At 30+ track days a year (well, except for this year), it's just not economical for me. Plus, I like how much it keeps the ego in check knowing I have no safety net.
That's a great point. If you're doing 1-2 a year then it's probably a good idea but at some point the cost of the premiums could amount to a new car anyway ;)

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
That is very reasonable for a weekend. Who are you using for insurance?
Agreed, I'm also curious who you're using so I can get myself a quote. I use www.ontrackinsurance.com and I pay $396 for for the weekend @ $65k stated value with 10% deductible. For the record, I don't have any illusions about my car actually being worth $65k, I gross the value up to help cover the deductible.

Ever considered a yearly track policy? Much more economical with that amount of tracking (Still not cheap though.). Ever had any issues on track where you wish you had bought the insurance?

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
That's a great point. If you're doing 1-2 a year then it's probably a good idea but at some point the cost of the premiums could amount to a new car anyway ;)
This is my thought. If I'd bought insurance for every track day, I'd be over $20K in just insurance. Add that to the deductible and you can repair almost any wrecked car (whether putting the drivetrain in a new chassis or actual repair).

Ever considered a yearly track policy? Much more economical with that amount of tracking (Still not cheap though.). Ever had any issues on track where you wish you had bought the insurance?
I've looked into it. Definitely a much better deal. And for those tracking their car a lot and wanting to just walkaway from a crash, it's a good idea.

Personally, I'd either repair the car or move the good bits into a new chassis. I've seen a lot of wrecked cars at COTA and most of the time they have $5-20k worth of damage. Sometimes they're totaled, but it's very, very rare and typically it's a fully built race car pushing much harder or a new driver driving way above their head in an insured car with a just send it!" attitude. Pro tip - those guys ALWAYS crash. Give it enough time and they will crash.

I'm honestly more scared of my car getting stolen than wrecked on track. I run special insurance specifically for that.

Sponsored

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
I agree with Honeybadger, i do about 25 days a year and half of those are single days so it just adds up too quickly. I do insure when i go to a new track and for any 3 day weekends since spread over 3 days it's pretty economical. Am debating a annual policy for 2021, but probably won't do it.

Cobrakit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PREMIUM PP1
Insurance companies got you by the ball's! 10 % deductible is way too high. Also, don't forget about liability insurance. The track covers themselves and the event coordinator covers themselves, but if you do damage to property or people and cannot show it was the track or events fault, then you might be responsible. Can be more expensive than collision insurance. My wife made me get $1m coverage and it cost $1,500 for the year. Form a racing group and you can lower both collision and liability cost. OBTW my wife was an insurance agent, so I never had a chance:lipssealed:

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
like JMN stated, new track attendance or high speed track, Insurance yes.

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Is one insurance company better than others?

I am doing Daytona next weekend and typically use Lockton. Priced On Track and Hagerty to price shop and they are with $10-20 difference.

Any Preference?

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Is one insurance company better than others?

I am doing Daytona next weekend and typically use Lockton. Priced On Track and Hagerty to price shop and they are with $10-20 difference.

Any Preference?
I haven't had a claim but I usually use Lockton sometimes their site is buggy and ill get some one else.
Sponsored