Sponsored

Do you ever think about getting Track Insurance

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
It could be any number of reasons:
1. They got a new car and want to give it a whirl in a slower group to build up confidence before moving up.
2. They weren’t passing people in intermediate and advanced groups like they did in novice and weren’t enjoying it as much, so they dropped down for the ego boost. Some people REALLLLLY get off on passing people vs going for best time.
3. They’re an instructor (which can usually run in any group in their car, but this isn’t as likely.)
4. They’re just a super talented newbie but don’t feel confident giving up the free instructor and running solo. (The organization I run with, you get a free instructor in novice.)

In my experience, if someone is clearly too good for novice but refuses to move up, a quick chat with the chief instructor can usually resolve the issue.
Just curious, what is the name of the organization you drive with?
Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
planning on doing the oct 2/3 ncm event with them...
Cool, hope to see you there. Going to make it to putnam this year? I’ll be at all the putnam events assuming work cooperates.

Sponsored

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Thanks for responses. Main reason I was asking was in direct correlation to this thread - insurance. I feel safe enough in beginner group with other beginners, everyone is with instructors driving comfortable pace without the need for insurance per se. Once you throw in the variables in the mix, either aggressive newbie driver or advanced drivers, that's where my risk tolerance changes.

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
10/10ths Motorsports. They primarily run at Putnam Park and NCM.
I've been running with them at Putnam Park for years. Good organization, although since they only have 3 run groups, the Intermediate group is really all over the place as far as skill levels. (I nearly got taken out a couple years ago by an idiot in a sketchy Miata who went into the grass between Turns 8 & 9, decided he didn't want to get stuck since it had rained that weekend, and decided to re-enter the track right in front of me at the exit of Turn 10. 😲 Fortunately, they kicked him out for that stunt.) Last time I checked, Lockton won't provide HPDE insurance if you run in 10/10ths' Advanced group, either. I'll be running in the Instructor group next year (just received my PCA Instructor certification a couple months ago). I'm sure I'll probably see you out there.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I've seen plenty of incidents in the novice groups, so I wouldn't be so sure that you are safe there, granted people are going slower, but still fast enough to really screw something up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
trackHERO

trackHERO

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Brock
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350R
I run with NASA, PCA, and PBOC. NASA is the most fun, PCA is great for instruction and rule following but very very strict, and PBOC has the crazy cool fast cars but can be a little bit of the Wild West when they let the race group in with the solo group and the race group doesn’t adhere to any rules
Sponsored