Sponsored

Do you drive with one or both feet? (Normal everyday driving)

One or Two feet to drive?

• Total voters

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
If you answered both feet (and don't have a third pedal down there)...

1 HI4kj-TPAQrfQkAdrw2KTA.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I did not know this was a thing. Other than when driving a manual, 1 foot is the only way I thought everyone drove.

Reactions: Ock

IndyRN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang PP1 Premium
Clutch.. both feet. When driving my a10 and supra, 1 foot.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Manual I use both. Auto, just one. Just the way I was taught. Both feet with an auto is a bit geeky.

Lgb0250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Premium, 22 Lexus 450h Luxury
I have only hear older people using both feet. At that point you should really start to question if you should be on the road anymore.
Then you probably need a hearing test! Yes, some old people do it and probably shouldn’t be driving anymore but, the majority that I’ve been following that are doing this are the soccer moms with kids in the mini van with them or the idiots cruising down the freeway checking their txt msgs. The last being the easiest to notice because they were doing 85 until the msg came in and then they drop to 50 in a 70 zone but stay in the inside lane anyway! As an old person, we were taught one foot, not to tail gate and stay in the right lane unless you were passing.

Sponsored

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Then you probably need a hearing test! Yes, some old people do it and probably shouldn’t be driving anymore but, the majority that I’ve been following that are doing this are the soccer moms with kids in the mini van with them or the idiots cruising down the freeway checking their txt msgs. The last being the easiest to notice because they were doing 85 until the msg came in and then they drop to 50 in a 70 zone but stay in the inside lane anyway! As an old person, we were taught one foot, not to tail gate and stay in the right lane unless you were passing.
Yea I disagree, I think the majority are older people. You shouldn`t take any offensive to that. My grandparents do it.

But this is purely based on a hunch without any proof to back up my viewpoint.

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I have a manual but two feet auto is a race thing. It’s like that with shifter carts all the way to F1, top drivers on the planet use both feet.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Shortly after I bought my first car in the early 80s, my father mentioned he had switched to left foot braking. He chuckled and said he didn't ride the brake like an elderly neighbor did. I decided to try it and eventually switched. What I liked best about it was the smoother transition from braking to accelerating in situations that called for it.

My next two cars were manuals, so of course I had to go back to right foot braking. I never bothered to go back to left foot braking on subsequent auto transmission cars. Didn't think it was worth trying to get used to it again.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
My next two cars were manuals, so of course I had to go back to right foot braking. I never bothered to go back to left foot braking on subsequent auto transmission cars. Didn't think it was worth trying to get used to it again.
I wonder if anyone makes offset pedals to make this less risky of catching the right foot.
I watched a YT a while back where a racer seamlessly switched between traditional and both feet use as he needed to use the clutch pedal on his sequential transmission.

What I noticed the most was when using both feet it was used to maintain chassis balance thru a corner and to adjust his line. You could tell he was feathering the brake while taking some off the gas.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Like everyone else here I learned to only use one foot when in auto. Not so much for the "resting foot on the brake pedal" issue, but too reduce the chance of, in a panic situation, pressing the wrong or both pedals when all you want to do is push the brake pedal through the floor.

In a highly recommended book for learning how to drive on the track that I'm currently reading however, the author recommends practicing two-foot driving during everyday driving too. I have a manual car myself, but I have tried to use different feet for gas and brake sometimes during everyday driving only, mostly because I became curious after reading about it, and I can understand the appeal for everyday driving too; braking is smoother and you don't have to feather the brake as much as normally. For a more experienced track driver than me I imagine it could give some other benefits too, so I'm planning to start experimenting with it a bit on the track too eventually, though at the moment I have enough other things to learn there.

Sponsored

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
In the modern cars it is hard to do 2 foot driving in an auto . They have a strategy in the PCM called brake over acceleration. It will cut throttle if it sees both being applied at the same time .

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
My grandmother (85) uses one foot, BUT when she applies the brake, BOTH go onto the brake pedal. WTF.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
I learned to drive auto with only the right foot. It boggles my mind people use left foot to brake.
A long time ago driving an automatic with 2 feet would fail your driving test in MA, at least as late as the early 1970s. It you drove a manual trans car, there isn't much other way than one foot brake/gas. You tend not to swap styles to match what you're driving

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
My grandmother (85) uses one foot, BUT when she applies the brake, BOTH go onto the brake pedal. WTF.
She made it to 85. Whatever she's doing works. Don't argue!

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
She made it to 85. Whatever she's doing works. Don't argue!
She rode her mountain bike yesterday for 4 miles on back roads. LOL. I’m 48…..
Sponsored