'14 GT

AMChief5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chief
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT Premium w/ PP
I actually just had my first oil change done last month. My Mustang is a garage queen so, after a year of ownership, I just barely had 1,000k miles on it. It was complimentary from the dealership where I took delivery, due to the fact that it was my first "transfusion." The Service advisor talked me into making the appointment when I first called to ask about their lifts (due to the fact that my car is lowered 1"). As I was expressing my concerns about not being able to stand by the car and having someone else drive my "baby" if I went ahead with the appointment, they assured me that I could stand by and watch it as the work is getting completed, on the lift. Fast forward to the day of the appointment: I pull up to the service lane at my appointment time and am greeted by a DIFFERENT service advisor than who I made my appointment with over the phone. He tells me that I can't be in the service area (from a liability/legality standpoint) and that I can only stand at the bay entrance. Now that I think about this, I should have put up more of a fight but I was already there and it was free...so I just let them do the work. I waited in the service area for 2 HOURS for a simple oil change. Needless to say, that's the last time I go to the dealership for an oil change. I'll do the rest myself in years to come.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
I’m gonna let them do the first one so they can’t blame me if the BBQ tick appears. After that I’ll do my own. Makes for a fun morning tinkering with my car - one of the reasons I love Mustangs. I usually did the oil myself on my 06 as well.
I did this as well.

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
After a motorcycle crash, open heart surgery and numerous broken ribs and bones; I'm not as agile as I was 30 years ago.
Besides, I'm 63 now.............:shrug:

I'll pay someone to do it. The Valvoline center always does excellent work.

mustang_puppy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
2015 black Ecoboost fastback
Haven't changed the oil on my '15 yet, but I've done it to my other Mustangs in the past.

Sponsored

jimmybuffit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP 50th Year
I run a detailing shop no excuses here. But it's easy and feels good so I recommend doing it yourself.

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I haven't take a car to any "shop" to have the oil changed in almost 30 years. Like many have already stated, I do it because:

1. It's less expensive so I can buy the best oil/filters
2. No appointment/waiting needed
3. I know it's done correctly
4. I actually find it relaxing (most of the time)

My wife had driven SUV's for almost 20 years, and for most of them, no lifting of the vehicle was required so it was super easy. As well, I install FEMCO drain valves in all my vehicles, and once you have one of those suckers, you'll never consider going back to a regular drain plug.

As far as warranty is concerned, I keep a manila envelope for each of my cars containing receipts from oil and filter purchases, and I always write the date of the oil change, what vehicle it was for, and what type of oil I used on a flap of the box the filter was in, and throw that in the respective envelope for record keeping/proof of servicing.

Lastly, I also have a spacious 2+ car, heated/cooled garage and a Jeff Spicoli-esque "ultimate set of tools", so maintenance is a breeze. I know a lot of peeps don't have access to a garage or a nice set of tools. I used to be one of those peeps a long time ago.

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
I've done my own oil changes for many many years on my vehicles. As others have stated:

1. I enjoy it. I actually like working on my cars.
2. I know it's done right
3. Cheaper....therefore easier to justify the extra cost of full synthetic oil.
4. It's a chance to put eyes on everything under the vehicle.

:cheers:

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
I used to do it when I had my Mustang's. Like many mentioned, I liked doing it and found it relaxing. However, I must have been buying my oil at the wrong places when I used to do it. All you guys saying it's cheaper I would like to know where you're getting your oil lol.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
You'd at least have to run the numbers using the same oil, which probably isn't going to be the same 5W20 bulk oil.

Norm

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I'd been doing all of the oil changes on every car we've ever owned up until we got her Subie. At which point I was 62 and she was hoping I could start getting away from having to do all of that kind of stuff.

That lasted for exactly three oil & filter changes by the dealership, when two of those jobs ended up like this because the filters were crimped on installation by some moron with either the wrong tool or a tool he didn't know how to use properly. A thousand miles later, the smell of burning oil.

picture.jpg

So I'm at "almost always have, always will".

Norm
How can someone fuck up a Subaru oil filter install is beyond me. It literately says on the filter, 7/8 turn after gasket touches the filter housing.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
You'd at least have to run the numbers using the same oil, which probably isn't going to be the same 5W20 bulk oil.

Norm
Dealer usually use whatever oil they can find cheap.
Probably why so many ticking Coyotes. Mine uses MC 5w20 never a tick.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I used to do it when I had my Mustang's. Like many mentioned, I liked doing it and found it relaxing. However, I must have been buying my oil at the wrong places when I used to do it. All you guys saying it's cheaper I would like to know where you're getting your oil lol.
I buy it direct from the factory. In my case I can do a full fluid swap (motor/trans/diff) for the same price as a synthetic oil change and the product quality is much better.
Sponsored