Sponsored

Do y'all think I totaled my car? (Update: I did)

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
back in 2017 I had a EcoBoost premium w 18k miles, it was hit in the rear hit/run, they totaled it. I got paid out really well, I wanted to buy it back because it was perfectly drivable, could of been fixed easily.

they wanted 6k buyback, I passed. sucks If was 2-3k I would of bought it
Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
back in 2017 I had a EcoBoost premium w 18k miles, it was hit in the rear hit/run, they totaled it. I got paid out really well, I wanted to buy it back because it was perfectly drivable, could of been fixed easily.

they wanted 6k buyback, I passed. sucks If was 2-3k I would of bought it
They get a lot more at the salvage auction.

OP
OP
sleekman

sleekman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black 6MT GT Premium
I've learned quite a bit about this whole process by reading what y'all have said. And I agree, I am very unwise by giving it any throttle around a slippery bend. If its anything to go by i bought the car in 2019 right before covid and the used car market exploded. I owe 15k on it as it stands now, plus i had paid for gap insurance because you never know what happens. I wish i could buy it back and repair it, but sadly i live in an HOA where i actually have to keep a cover on the car in the driveway because if they even see it damaged in the driveway its a violation. Additionally, i have hardly enough space in the garage to even pull it 75% into it let alone the whole thing. I'm simultaneously mad at myself and just very sad over the whole thing. I took the best care of it that i possibly could and one push of the throttle has basically thrown it all away. I really do appreciate y'all chiming in, its opened my eyes to the reality of what wrecking a car can cost. The adjuster comes by Thursday morning, my next post will be the verdict.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
....i have hardly enough space in the garage to even pull it 75% into it let alone the whole thing.
You have a garage, but didn't garage your Mustang??

OP
OP
sleekman

sleekman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
You have a garage, but didn't garage your Mustang??
One of my roommates runs a business on the side that requires a lot of the garage space for product storage sadly. I keep a cover on the car most of the time when i can.

Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
One of my roommates runs a business on the side that requires a lot of the garage space for product storage sadly. I keep a cover on the car most of the time when i can.
Sounds like your roommate needs to rent themselves a storage unit, and get their stuff TFO of your car's rightful space. :cwl: :cwl:

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
Personally I'd tell the roommate to get F#@ked. Mustangs belong in the garage. LOL.

OP
OP
sleekman

sleekman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
If it were so easy LMAO! Its not as bad is its made out to be, the driveway only gets like 4 hours of sunlight with the houses being so close together, they end up just blocking the sunlight for most of the day so the cars we've had have held up paint really well. also helps to keep it washed of course :cwl:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Its not as bad is its made out to be
ignore KingTuna, er Kona. There's so much wax on his car it's smeared all over like so much dried cXX. :)

Lots of us have cars that are parked 24/7/365 in blazing sun and whatever weather happens to be about.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
They get a lot more at the salvage auction.
I mean, the car was 100% drivable, so could of sold entire drivetrain prob for that, but I didnt have room to store it indefinitely
Personally I'd tell the roommate to get F#@ked. Mustangs belong in the garage. LOL.
I never parked my mustang in garage other than winter storage or hail storms (yeah my car got hit by 5k in hail and gf wasn't able to move it into garage... doesnt drive manual, watched it get beat up)

idk. I just dont like parking cars in garages.

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
I mean, the car was 100% drivable, so could of sold entire drivetrain prob for that, but I didnt have room to store it indefinitely

I never parked my mustang in garage other than winter storage or hail storms (yeah my car got hit by 5k in hail and gf wasn't able to move it into garage... doesnt drive manual, watched it get beat up)

idk. I just dont like parking cars in garages.
Mine lives in the garage much more than I'd like sadly.

obgod3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, PP1, 401A, A10
I just wouldn’t keep writing on a public forum about “how” you crashed the car… its a public forum….hope it works out for you because it really sucks for sure.

OP
OP
sleekman

sleekman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
Car was indeed considered a total loss. At first the adjuster said that it "looked better than he thought it would". That was, until we got the hood open and he spotted frame damage on the passenger side. At that point it was a done deal. I'm not sure if it's a law in Virginia or a policy in Geico, but any damage that compromises the structure of the car, and in turn the safety aspect considers it a total loss regardless. The reason I say this is because damage was estimated at $10.8k. However, they valued the car at $26k. (which is insane by the way, I bought this car in 2019 for 24k and it had 30k less miles on it. Wtf is with the parts shortages and used car market. Its been a couple days and I'm still in shock it is worth that much). So because of the frame damage the cost to fix the car is irrelevant. A sad day indeed. I wish you all the best and thank you for at the very least mentally preparing me for the incoming loss of my pride and joy.

DemonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Mustang GT, 2021 Mustang GT PP1
I guess you can get a S650?

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'20 Mustang GT, '17 Expedition, '04 LS430
Do you have pictures of the frame damage?
Sponsored