Sponsored

Do new coyote 5.0 'Stangs have the same distinct Mustang sound as the fox and 90/00s?

Grayden4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grayden
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang Cobra, 2009 Mustang GT/CS, 2011 F350, 2019 Mustang GT PPL2
The sound of a Voodoo motor at full song makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up...
Sponsored

Skate

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang convertible
When I was in high school, nothing sounded better than the deep sound of the exhaust of a 5.0 fox body. You could hear one distinctly from so far away. The sound carried over to the 4.6.
Even the slowest of the Mustangs had a wonderful, deep sound that you could tell it was a Mustang with your eyes closed.

Is there any way to replicate that sound with the newer 5.0 Coyotes?

I have listened to a bunch of exhaust clips. The closest I've heard online was from flowmaster 40 series mufflers and nothing else. Some exhausts sound great but few seem to encapsulate the old 5.0 sound that takes me back to my high school and early 20's days when a friend of mine owned one.
I had a 99' SVT ( normally aspirated ) and loved the way it sounded. Just had a perfect tone. Never got tired of winding it out in third, and downshifting down an off ramp sounded awesome too. Someone convinced me to put magna flo's on it, and I took them off and put it back to the way it came. One of the best sounding cars I ever heard.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
The only thing that comes close to a small block Windsor. With open headers and a monster cam. Is a Harley Davidson.

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
And now I'm bringing this thread back from obscurity.

I was watching a video of various Mustangs pulling out from a Mustang Week meetup. Almost every time a Foxbody or SN95/New Edge drove by, my thought was "Wow, that sounds so clean, so distinctly V8, and yet not so in-your-face loud and raspy." If I'm being completely honest, I like those sounds better than the GT350's Voodoo, and I'm probably the only person here who loathes the sound of the Voodoo. Too much treble to bass in my opinion. (Shrugs)

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I'm probably the only person here who loathes the sound of the Voodoo
I'm not a fan of that voodoo sound either.. annoying AF with aftermarket exhausts, right up there with ecoboosts :like:

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
I've seen complaints about the newer Coyote's, but mine with an MBRP cat back street mufflers sounds really good. Everyone loves it, and when you fire it up cold it is just nasty.

al-wall-tips-street-version-t304__51106.1582041131.jpg

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not a fan of that voodoo sound either.. annoying AF with aftermarket exhausts, right up there with ecoboosts :like:
I don't loathe it, but that sound does little for me. I've stood next to guys revving them too. Now a Ferrari V12 at 9k... oh my that's a different animal. That will make your heart beat a little faster.

I think many of us long to hear the pushrod V8 sound, and compare everything to it. When I was a lot younger, I had a car with a 302 Windsor and a mild cam and it sounded so sweet.

boostmark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush RS2, 2012 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, 1998 E150
I always liked the sound of the 03-04 cobras. I owed bunch of Thunderbirds with 4.6 and they sounded good also but most of the guys around here have that nasty buzzing sound at about 5k with their coyotes. I still run my factory resonator with the Roush active cat back and it sounds great to me anyway.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The Voodoo needs to be calmed down with long tubes. The uneven header length PLUS the fact that it's a right left firing order does some very offensive things to the ear. A Borla XS Dual would actually help tonal quality in my opinion with long tubes in place of the single resonators.

A full ARH system sounds very good.

Sponsored

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen complaints about the newer Coyote's, but mine with an MBRP cat back street mufflers sounds really good. Everyone loves it, and when you fire it up cold it is just nasty.

al-wall-tips-street-version-t304__51106.1582041131.jpg
I've got the same system, it always turns heads and gets compliments.

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 401A
The biggest reasoning for the change in sound is the placement of the mufflers. 79-04 were all mid mounted and actually had room for the sound to expand before immediately exiting the mufflers.

There are some videos out there of S550s with custom mid mounted mufflers - and they have a much more oldschool V8 sound vs. the raspy sound that the coyotes can have.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
I've got the same system, it always turns heads and gets compliments.
I always feel bad for my neighbors on a cold start at 0600 M-F...

5.0AVP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rapid Red 401A PP1 GT
In short I don't think you can make a coyote sound like the old pushrod 5.0s. Engines are just so different as well as the exhaust set up like others have said.

That being said I'm clearly in the minority in that I prefer the coyote by and large. I recently had a 331 stroker notch BBK headers and Flowmaster dumps and it sounded cool outside the car but just boomed most of the time in the car. The throttle was a hair trigger on that thing and she got down but I actually prefer the way all my coyotes have sounded. I do remember my dad's 01 4.6 sounded really good but I haven't heard one in awhile.

I do think all mustangs new and old have a bit of a hollow sound. And I mean that in a good way.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
This is the best one I can find to sound how I feel it sounds, video's are always tough. The MBRP street is a vast improvement over stock, for me anyways.

Sponsored