Sponsored

Do lighter wheels mean more spin at launch and 2nd and 3rd?

mpelon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT California Special
I’m new to Mustangs. Have a GT Premium (non PP) on order that has a build date of the week of Oct 11 (also got my VIN!) Haven’t heard a change yet after the Flat Rock leak incident so who knows. Anyway, never had a vehicle over 305 hp before and 460 is a lot more than that. My last vehicle I changed the wheels to some Konigs and reduced the weight a total of 24 lbs all the way around. I never spun my wheels before that change at launch but after that I would whenever I put it to the floor from a stand still. It was much more responsive at rolling speeds which I appreciated (lower unsprung weight) but took a significant loss to my 0-60 from the spin. Just wondering what others have experienced with dropping their wheel weight significantly in their Mustang.
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Lighter wheels means less rotating mass means more efficient power delivery means more power to the rear wheels. So yes, it could introduce slightly more wheel spin then before, but it's not going to be a measurable amount really.

If you couldn't for the life of you spin your wheels before, you still won't be able to after lighter wheels.

If you could spin the wheels before, you'll still be able to spin them just as well.

So no, lighter wheels won't make a car go from not being able to spin the wheels at all to full blown being able to spin the wheels while sitting still for days.