Do I just swap new wheels and rims?

mookieit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
john
Vehicle(s)
mustang 2015 v6
I am interested in upgrading my 17 inch OEM wheels with Hankook noble2 tires on my 2015 V6.

I only street drive.

I am thinking to get 18 or 19 inch wheels and was wondering if all it needs is to put new wheels and just bolt them on?

I think I need to go to forscan and update the tire size, but was wondering if there is anything I need to keep in mind
Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
As long as the tire diameters are close to your stock tires, just install. No need to mess with Forscan. Stay within 3% of original diameter is the general rule of thumb. Bigger differences than that start to have an effect on gearing

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

OP
OP
mookieit

mookieit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
john
Vehicle(s)
mustang 2015 v6
As long as the tire diameters are close to your stock tires, just install. No need to mess with Forscan. Stay within 3% of original diameter is the general rule of thumb. Bigger differences than that start to have an effect on gearing

https://tiresize.com/comparison/
So I have 17” now, does that mean +3% is 17.5 inches max rims to not impact gearing?

I feel I am missing something cause 18-19 inches are popular rim sizes for the Mustang

gorditas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
So I have 17” now, does that mean +3% is 17.5 inches max rims to not impact gearing?

I feel I am missing something cause 18-19 inches are popular rim sizes for the Mustang
The overall diameter of the tire is what you need to worry about. My Navigator has 22" factory wheels, yet my winter tires and wheels are 18". The aspect ratio (sidewall thickness) of the tires is much higher on the 18" set, so the overall diameter of the tires is almost exactly the same between the two sets. Use the tire calculator linked above to put your current tire (not wheel) size into "size one." Then look at the table about half way down labeled, " Tire Size Comparison Charts by Wheel Size" and see what your stock tire diameter is. Then use the tabs to look at 18, 19, or 20" tires that have the same diameter. Put that size into "size two" and hit compare. You will then get a lot of information to help you select the best size.

Since you are going up in size, you shouldn't have to worry about clearing brake calipers. When you are going smaller, like I did for my winter wheels, that is one of the main fitment issues. Your remaining issues with wheels are offset, bolt pattern, and hub size. If you stick with Mustang focused websites, most of those issues will be taken care of for you already. Tire Rack, Discount Tire, etc might leave you with more of a "universal" type of fitment.

Hope that helps you get started.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

I should’ve been more clear. It’s based on the overall tire diameter. So in that link I provided, your current stock tire size goes in the 1st size and the tire size you’re considering goes in size 2. It will then show you the difference.

You shouldn’t run into any issues going with an 18 or 19” wheel but just make sure you get the proper size tire.

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The stock 17's are 235/50

You could go 285/35 or 255/40 on a 19"

285/40 would be a good size on an 18"

(plenty of other sizes fit fine but these are very close to stock)

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Just install the larger rim size you want that fits the bolt pattern but then go down in tire profile. You won't have to do any Forscan stuff with it then. 18 or 19 inch rims will fit just fine without any issue.

Geodudes550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
S550 2018 Mustang GT Premium
What are the effects of running a tire diameter larger than factory? I went up a size in aspect ratio for more sidewall and now I’m worried I’m slowly shredding my gears or something.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
What are the effects of running a tire diameter larger than factory? I went up a size in aspect ratio for more sidewall and now I’m worried I’m slowly shredding my gears or something.
My summer tires are a larger diameter than the stock size by about 3%, which is considered the threshold before you start making noticeable impacts to your effective gearing. There’s calculators out there that will do the math for you, but an example might be if you have 3.55 gears and increase your tire diameter enough, your effective gear ratio may end up being closer to 3.31.

Sponsored

Geodudes550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
My summer tires are a larger diameter than the stock size by about 3%, which is considered the threshold before you start making noticeable impacts to your effective gearing. There’s calculators out there that will do the math for you, but an example might be if you have 3.55 gears and increase your tire diameter enough, your effective gear ratio may end up being closer to 3.31.
Does changing the effective gearing like that add extra strain or stress on the gears or is it more of a speedometer issue? I’m at 4.5% over and it doesn’t seem dramatic enough to shear a gear but what do I know?

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Does changing the effective gearing like that add extra strain or stress on the gears or is it more of a speedometer issue? I’m at 4.5% over and it doesn’t seem dramatic enough to shear a gear but what do I know?
Speedo is affected for sure. Shouldn’t be shearing gears at that level but probably adding a little stress to the gears. Not my area of expertise though, I know just enough to be dangerous. 3% is what I try to stick to, minimal impact on the speedo and effective gearing. The car computers have tables for these things so there is some room that it can adjust for. I think there’s another thread in here where someone with Forscan actually posted the tables. I don’t recall off the top of my head which thread it’s in though.

Geodudes550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Speedo is affected for sure. Shouldn’t be shearing gears at that level but probably adding a little stress to the gears. Not my area of expertise though, I know just enough to be dangerous. 3% is what I try to stick to, minimal impact on the speedo and effective gearing. The car computers have tables for these things so there is some room that it can adjust for. I think there’s another thread in here where someone with Forscan actually posted the tables. I don’t recall off the top of my head which thread it’s in though.
Okay cool, I probably won’t worry about it then. I’m not drag racing or stomping on it all the time. Thanks dude

Kabayo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT
Okay cool, I probably won’t worry about it then. I’m not drag racing or stomping on it all the time. Thanks dude
There is one other issue that could be effected if you have an automatic trans…the car may stay in a lower gear longer which could effect shifting points when going up a long hill and end up overheating. That exactly what happened a long time ago on my 66 mustang 289. I put on much larger diameter tires in back and had trans failure in time when living in Colorado with lots of hills. You should be ok if you follow the advice already given.
Sponsored