Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Two piece driveshaft equals more parts that can fail over time, ie: carrier bearings..
Sponsored

Last edited:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Two piece driveshaft equals more parts that can fail over time, ie: carrier bearings..
To each there own. How many 2 piece failures vs 1 piece out there ? Exactly.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No one can know that ratio, but this is what we do know. When you add decent power, your stock driveshaft isn’t engineered to handle it , the one piece is.. its the same story with the stock halfshafts. Engineered to be adequate for factory power, add power and they break.

Last edited:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Engineered to be adequate for factory power, add power and they break.
No more so than u-joints on a 1-piece shaft. Good thing the mustang uses a "Jack shaft" design that uses a bolt-together yoke to mate the two halves of the driveshaft, which is often used in high-horsepower applications that will see extended punishment.

The longer the driveshaft is, without significantly increasing it's wall thickness & diameter, the weaker it becomes. Also, longer driveshafts have reduced 'critical' speeds. That's the point where it flexes and does all kinds of weird shit.

One piece shafts are easier to manufacture, which is why aftermarket companies offer them, then they use clever marketing to convince you that you need one.

I'm not saying the Mustang 2-piece is the be all end all, but put a heavy duty hanger bearing and I'll trust it more on a 1000 hp app than a 1-piece.

As for the half shafts they generally break from wheel hop. Which is usually a result of running drag radials. Stop the hop, your stockers are just fine. Up to a point.

Cheers.

OP
OP

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
No more so than u-joints on a 1-piece shaft. Good thing the mustang uses a "Jack shaft" design that uses a bolt-together yoke to mate the two halves of the driveshaft, which is often used in high-horsepower applications that will see extended punishment.

The longer the driveshaft is, without significantly increasing it's wall thickness & diameter, the weaker it becomes. Also, longer driveshafts have reduced 'critical' speeds. That's the point where it flexes and does all kinds of weird shit.

One piece shafts are easier to manufacture, which is why aftermarket companies offer them, then they use clever marketing to convince you that you need one.

I'm not saying the Mustang 2-piece is the be all end all, but put a heavy duty hanger bearing and I'll trust it more on a 1000 hp app than a 1-piece.

As for the half shafts they generally break from wheel hop. Which is usually a result of running drag radials. Stop the hop, your stockers are just fine. Up to a point.

Cheers.
I bought a 1 piece for rotating mass. Also, and this is just my opinion, you'd think a 2 piece has more drivetrain loss than a one piece.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a 1 piece for rotating mass. Also, and this is just my opinion, you'd think a 2 piece has more drivetrain loss than a one piece.
Perhaps. You do a dyno comparison ?

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
He put the spacer on his lathe to check it with his gauges. It was 8000 of an inch out of true. DSS told us that this was acceptable because the driveshaft and spacer were balanced together to fix that.
.008” of runout IMO is a lot.
I’ve worked on my share of press together crankshafts (power sports) and anything more than .0015” to .002” runout the lead hammer comes out to smack into spec.
I call BS on .008” runout is OK, balanced or not.
I’m not a fan of driveshafts that use bolt on adapters.

OP
OP

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Perhaps. You do a dyno comparison ?
No that's why I said just my opinion. I haven't heard of anyone else seeing a difference either.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
No that's why I said just my opinion. I haven't heard of anyone else seeing a difference either.
Figured I ask anyways. ANother advantage to the 2-piece is less stress on the trans output shaft ( supported better). Lots of Supercars use a 2-piece driveshaft.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
There is a difference.
Honestly, with the 6 speed trans the one pc. added that old school Muncie Rock Crusher feel to the car.
This isn’t about measured HP, it’s about lightning quick reaction, ditching the OEM Giubo and a lighter feel to the car.

Last edited:

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
No doubt there's an advantage to CF shafts. 17lb weight savings is a big one.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You can immediately feel the difference when switching to a lighter ds. Its the same as when you mount lighter wheels on your car, things spin up quicker. But over time you just get used to it. When you make big power it finds all the other parts that can’t handle it and breaks them..I have zero confidence in the stock driveshaft handling over 825 crank hp that i’m making. My one piece aluminum ds has been flawless..

https://ibb.co/YjWKhYs
No comparison.

Last edited:

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
Guys with bad DSS drive shafts, were they aluminum? I picked up a used carbon fiber one for my 10r80 and I'm hoping it doesn't vibrate 😂

OP
OP

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Guys with bad DSS drive shafts, were they aluminum? I picked up a used carbon fiber one for my 10r80 and I'm hoping it doesn't vibrate 😂
Mine is carbon fiber

TheHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Pack
I had an aluminum DSS and it vibrated a lot. I replaced it with a dynotech which is much better but still vibrates slightly around 80mph.
Sponsored