DIY Rear Mats

Greg C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Convertible
After last weekend putting the dogs in the back of the Mustang, I decided I needed some rear mats to protect the carpet. As there is nothing out there, I measured the size needed & bought a couple of cheap rubber mats that would do the job until someone makes a proper set. I have been able to cut them to size with some scissors & total cost £2:98. Happy Days
image.jpg
Sponsored

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Cool - look pretty much the same as my cut-down Aldi jobs. Fine for the amount of time anyone is in the back - i.e. never.

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
Someone's after a Blue Peter badge...

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
I could do with these. I dont even wanna take a proper look in the back of mine after picking my boy and his mates up from football and brands hatch last weekend!

Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
After last weekend putting the dogs in the back of the Mustang, I decided I needed some rear mats to protect the carpet. As there is nothing out there, I measured the size needed & bought a couple of cheap rubber mats that would do the job until someone makes a proper set. I have been able to cut them to size with some scissors & total cost £2:98. Happy Days
That's good work. You've inspired me to do similar so thanks :thumbsup:

RSPcooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt. Mini 30. Q5
Bloody dogs always a nightmare in newer cars remember when i had to drive an Austin maxi to transport the pooch as i could not put him in my new demo VW. As ours is only little can get her in the front footwell shes fine there.

OP
OP
Greg C

Greg C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Convertible
Bloody dogs always a nightmare in newer cars remember when i had to drive an Austin maxi to transport the pooch as i could not put him in my new demo VW. As ours is only little can get her in the front footwell shes fine there.
My two tri colour border collies are a bit big for the front footwell. They normally get transported in our Honda Civic Tourer but last weekend was going away for a posh big birthday treat so had to take the Mustang (picture before we set off). This weekend going to see the "in laws" up in Surrey so has to be the Mustang again as they want to see the new car. Big cushions to "flatten out" the back seat then blanket & dog rugs on top. Both dogs have harness to attach to rear seat belts so safe in an emergency. They loved the "top down" trip last weekend - hope the weather is fine again tomorrow. :)
image.jpg

DonKarlos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Ecoboost Fastback
I've also gone down the DIY route after giving up looking for something available over here. After a few attempts though I managed to create template which fits quite nicely on both sides. It seemed a shame to keep it to myself so I thought I'd make a quick guide out of it and make it available to everyone!

The attached template is a 4 page PDF you simply need to print, stick and cut. It works on both sides, just flip it over as the pattern is a mirror image.

The import thing to remember when printing is to not let your PDF software or printer adjust the size of the document or add margins. Chrome and Adobe Reader allowed this but I couldn't figure out how to do this in Microsoft Edge.

Putting the template together should be relatively straightforward. The crosses on each page should overlap perfectly, so using cheap thin copier paper will work best. I'd recommend using a glue stick and just a few pieces of tape on the back. Also I'd suggest sticking the pages together in the order top left, bottom left, bottom right, top right.

The first image shows what the template looks like once stuck together. I've also indicated where to measure the maximum width and height, which is best done alongside the edges of the overlapped pages.

The second an third images show the template and mat I cut inside the car behind the front passenger seat. Although tempted by a sheet of artificial turf on offer at Homebase, I opted for a rubber-backed house door mat, which I temporarily glued to the template with contact adhesive and cut with very sharp scissors. The edges needed a bit of tidying up afterwards but it turned out fine.

Hopefully some people might find this useful. Just be sure to check, check and triple check your template fits before cutting into your favourite rug! I'm not going to be responsible for any trouble you get yourselves into. :D
mat_template_1.jpg
mat_template_2.jpg
mat_template_3.jpg

Attachments

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I've also gone down the DIY route after giving up looking for something available over here. After a few attempts though I managed to create template which fits quite nicely on both sides. It seemed a shame to keep it to myself so I thought I'd make a quick guide out of it and make it available to everyone!
Excellent work! Thanks for doing this :thumbsup:

Sponsored

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
That's good work. You've inspired me to do similar so thanks :thumbsup:
why can't you just get some US rear ones? they will be the same size?

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
Last edited:

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score