Sponsored

DIY oil change (2019 GT350 oil light on is on)

NDALLAS40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I’m a new owner and have always changed my own oil in my cars and trucks....it’s therapy for me more than anything until now. Now it’s about doing the job right.
I’ve done some research but obviously not enough.
Do you have something to back up your statement about only two types of oil that are “approved under warranty specs”. Are you looking at the specs that are in the GT350 supplement and found Amsoil the only other one that qualified?
I’m not getting into an oil battle but truly want to know. This whole oil thing with this particular car is just plain nuts.
I'm just going by my supplementthat that came in all '15 and '16 GT350's. It didn't occur to me that it might be different 3 years later. My bad. You're right about the whole oil thing being nuts. Imagine what we went through with in those first few months with no clue.
Another big issue we had was the front splitter. Both the R and the base 350 splitters were being installed incorrectly by dealers and they were flying off left and right. Dealers were clueless. In fact, I had show my dealer the install video I had found on this forum so that they could remove mine and put it back on correctly.
Sponsored

Last edited:

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
I say use a good oil and keep the receipt.
A friend of mine has a European Performance shop here in town. They’ll be doing the first change for me as I really want to see everything under the car.
I’ll have receipts for sure.

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
A friend of mine has a European Performance shop here in town. They’ll be doing the first change for me as I really want to see everything under the car.
I’ll have receipts for sure.
They're going to hate you for it. Unless you plan ahead, a GT350 oil change is a real mess-making event. Also, make sure you get the FL-2087 oil filter.

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I'll make completed pictures to post.

I can't find the thread on doing the oil change on my own.

I remember that I get the car up on jacks (I have some drive-on wood things to start the process). I think I turn the front wheels to the right to easily access the filter?

The 2019 GT350 will hold 10 quarts? My current oil level is at full so I figure less than 10---I'll figure that out after measuring the oil that drained. I have only 3800 miles on the car.

I'll drain the crankcase oil after warming the engine. I'll reach in to unscrew the oil filter (it will hold a quart and will make a mess). I read the manual about replacing the gaskets. The manual says the gaskets are included with the new filter?

Right or wrong? Just asking?

I have one of the faster Magnetic Mettallic cars: ;)

I noticed a couple of posts seemed to say they drained their oil without warming up the car. All cars have microscopic debris in the oil. It settles in the bottom of the oil pan. Again this is just an option but I like to warm the car up, circulating warm oil will cause lots of the debris to be picked up and then drain out. Cold oil draining out the plug would almost certainly leave more debris settled at the bottom of the pan. The filter can only catch larger particles. For those wanting to make sure they drain all of the oil, warm oil runs back down and out the drain plug very nicely.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I noticed a couple of posts seemed to say they drained their oil without warming up the car. All cars have microscopic debris in the oil. It settles in the bottom of the oil pan. Again this is just an option but I like to warm the car up, circulating warm oil will cause lots of the debris to be picked up and then drain out. Cold oil draining out the plug would almost certainly leave more debris settled at the bottom of the pan. The filter can only catch larger particles. For those wanting to make sure they drain all of the oil, warm oil runs back down and out the drain plug very nicely.
I said that. And here’s some clarification since it sounded like I said crank it up and change cold oil. I did not. If the last time you drove your car (be it a day or a week ago), and it was good and hot when you parked it, you have now accomplished what you just stated. You can now drain it without restarting just for the sake of warming it up again. Does the same thing.

OP
OP
95CobraR

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed a couple of posts seemed to say they drained their oil without warming up the car....For those wanting to make sure they drain all of the oil, warm oil runs back down and out the drain plug very nicely.
You make a very important point. I also drive around the neighborhood to get heat in the rest of the drive train parts. I may find a leak forming? It's up in the air so I check everything underneath the car.
Sponsored