Sponsored

DIY oil change (2019 GT350 oil light on is on)

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
My $0.02 worth: I do my oil changes stone cold. I let the car sit for a day or more then jack it up and do the oil change. My goal is to drain out as much of the old oil as possible by letting it run back into the pan over a long period of time. Maybe the benefit is marginal or not even a consideration. But I prefer this method.
Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
My $0.02 worth: I do my oil changes stone cold. I let the car sit for a day or more then jack it up and do the oil change. My goal is to drain out as much of the old oil as possible by letting it run back into the pan over a long period of time. Maybe the benefit is marginal or not even a consideration. But I prefer this method.
Or just begin to drain while hot and let it drain overnight. Your oil thins as it heats up giving a more complete drain.
Iā€™m going to try this on my first change unless I have a trusted shop do it. Curious how much more old oil Iā€™d get letting it drain overnight.
I guess if you do this cold and itā€™s below freezing youā€™ll get different results than if itā€™s 100.

volcanogod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 350
I've been doing my own oil changes since the 80's and always heavily document the care and activities on each vehicle. There were a few times I was forced to use quick lube places which further drove my distrust. On the old fox body 5.0 Mustangs they had 2 oil drain plugs. At least 2 times the stupid places would drain the main sump, but would forget the other one which resulted in the oil being overfilled by 1 qt. To this day still have a hard time trusting dealerships given that during a dashboard recall on the 99 Contour SVT, the tech's decided to take it out for a "test" drive and blew the motor. It took me 20 years before I would consider another Ford. I recently took my Shelby in for the TSB for the exhaust valve issue and I watched everything they did from a distance and also let them know I watching.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I do this also. Hereā€™s the misconception thatā€™s been around for years...the goal is not to drain hot oil, the goal is to drain all the oil. If you drove your car a week ago, as long as it was hot for that drive, then change it. Once you parked it hot and it sits for that long, itā€™s drained back to the pan about all itā€™s going to.

The goal is to avoid cranking an engine for a few minutes and then changing it.

OP
OP
95CobraR

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
My oil change didn't happen. I had the wrong oil filer.

I drove the car on my homemade wood entry ramps (2' X 6" X 2). It's now 4" up. It was easy to use a floor jack to get it higher. I used 4 jack stands to keep me safe.

I inspected all the stuff underneath. It was all clean. BTW, the suspension stuff is awesome. There was no way that the oil filer that I ordered will fit will fit my car (too wide). WTF? I have done 100+ oil filter changes on Ford cars with an easy remove and install.

I'll call around and get the correct stuff on Monday. It's no worries as the car is good.
2019GT350.jpg

I get this reaction when on the street:
1911dude.jpg

The Magnetic Metallic are special.

Sponsored

Venom52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500 CFTP, 23 Durango SRT 392
I just changed oil, trans and diff this weekend no issues just take your time. All for less than the dealer will charge you and then just added the service record to fordpass.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Good way to ruin a perfectly good engine. Too many instances of dealers not putting enough oil in, not putting the filter on correctly (less of a problem for 19+), etc.
I have a lot of respect for you but I respectfully disagree with you on this one. Novices are more prone to screwing up an oil change than a trained mechanic. The dealer would be responsible for his mistake as would the owner for his own mistake.
If you aren't comfortable changing your own oil, performance cars may not be for you.

You're dead wrong about this though. One of the things that Ford found with the failures caused by spin-on oil filters dropping off the car is that many of their techs were superstitious about torquing on an oil filter, to the point that they refused to put the filters on more than hand tight even when they knew the instructions said to use a certain torque.

Although the cartridge style upgrade that was implemented in the middle of 2017MY production mitigates this issue, it still requires a torque spec as well.

And this is to say nothing of the MANY instances of Ford's lube monkeys putting in the wrong oil, several quarts less than the required amount, etc.

The reality is that this is a rare car that is rarely driven by many owners who rarely bring them in for a simple oil change. So your average tech just isn't familiar with them like they would be a 5.0L. And they might treat it like they would treat a 5.0L.

I honestly don't care if it would be the dealership's fault when they ruin my engine for no good reason, I don't want my engine to be ruined in the first place.

There's also the very real risk of a fire when something lets loose as we've seen from Adam LZ's GT350. I definitely don't want my car to die in a fire.

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
If you aren't comfortable changing your own oil, performance cars may not be for you.

You're dead wrong about this though. One of the things that Ford found with the failures caused by spin-on oil filters dropping off the car is that many of their techs were superstitious about torquing on an oil filter, to the point that they refused to put the filters on more than hand tight even when they knew the instructions said to use a certain torque.

Although the cartridge style upgrade that was implemented in the middle of 2017MY production mitigates this issue, it still requires a torque spec as well.

And this is to say nothing of the MANY instances of Ford's lube monkeys putting in the wrong oil, several quarts less than the required amount, etc.

The reality is that this is a rare car that is rarely driven by many owners who rarely bring them in for a simple oil change. So your average tech just isn't familiar with them like they would be a 5.0L. And they might treat it like they would treat a 5.0L.

I honestly don't care if it would be the dealership's fault when they ruin my engine for no good reason, I don't want my engine to be ruined in the first place.

There's also the very real risk of a fire when something lets loose as we've seen from Adam LZ's GT350. I definitely don't want my car to die in a fire.

First off I'm comfortable changing my own oil. Secondly, it's my opinion and last I looked everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it wrong. Are you even paying attention to all the bullshit going on in America right now? I happen to have much different experiences with my dealers and I don't let one bad experience someone else had influence me. I'm so f'ing tired of all this crap going on and people pissing and moaning about every little thing they don't agree with and burning, looting, rioting, etc. I'm out of here.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
First off I'm comfortable changing my own oil. Secondly, it's my opinion and last I looked everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it wrong. Are you even paying attention to all the bullshit going on in America right now? I happen to have much different experiences with my dealers and I don't let one bad experience someone else had influence me. I'm so f'ing tired of all this crap going on and people pissing and moaning about every little thing they don't agree with and burning, looting, rioting, etc. I'm out of here.
I post that letting a dealer change the oil in a GT350 is unwise based on a demonstrable track record of failures and Ford even having to redesign the oil filter, and I'm compared to a rioter/looter.

HILARIOUS.

Sponsored

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
I post that letting a dealer change the oil in a GT350 is unwise based on a demonstrable track record of failures and Ford even having to redesign the oil filter, and I'm compared to a rioter/looter.

HILARIOUS.
You completely missed the point. I never compared you to a looter. It's the whole atmosphere of what is going on now. You said I was dead wrong. I'm not f'ing wrong. It's my opinion, it's just different than yours and apparently that makes it wrong.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
You completely missed the point. I never compared you to a looter. It's the whole atmosphere of what is going on now. You said I was dead wrong. I'm not f'ing wrong. It's my opinion, it's just different than yours and apparently that makes it wrong.
don't get your panties in a bunch. you said that people that had to google how to do it had no business doing it.... so it's cool for you to tell others what to do but nobody can say you are wrong? I must have missed that in the terms of service when i joined this site lol.... maybe part of the atmosphere is people that think they can tell others how to live? just do your own thing and don't worry about what other people do or think if it bothers you so much.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
you said that people that had to google how to do it had no business doing it....
Funny thing is I'd trust someone (with some experience) having to Google oil change instructions for this car. They're more likely to use a torque wrench.

Lube monkey in the pit at your local Ford dealer? That guys knows everything, just ask him. Filter goes on 3/4 turn after the gasket contacts the block and the car takes 8 quarts of 5W20.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
Funny thing is I'd trust someone (with some experience) having to Google oil change instructions for this car. They're more likely to use a torque wrench.

Lube monkey in the pit at your local Ford dealer? That guys knows everything, just ask him. Filter goes on 3/4 turn past hand tight and the car takes 8 quarts of 5W20.
agreed, they prob do 15+ mustangs a month and just assume it's the same rather than looking anything up....

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
don't get your panties in a bunch. you said that people that had to google how to do it had no business doing it.... so it's cool for you to tell others what to do but nobody can say you are wrong? I must have missed that in the terms of service when i joined this site lol.... maybe part of the atmosphere is people that think they can tell others how to live? just do your own thing and don't worry about what other people do or think if it bothers you so much.
I'd like to put this to rest. I'm not telling anybody what to do. I'm offering an opinion. Take it or leave it. It's not wrong or right, it's just my opinion. People are often asking what others think on this forum about doing something or one thing or another. It's an opinion. It's not right or wrong. You may agree or disagree but it is not wrong. When I disagreed with Honeybadger, I said I respectfully disagree, but..... I didn't tell him he was wrong.
Sponsored