Sponsored

DIY: Fitting rear 15mm spacers (stud removal & re-install)

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
HI there

Today I fitted the Eibach 15mm hubcentric rear spacer. After trial fitting 23mm spacers on the rear there was too much poke for my liking and I feel 20mm would also be poking too much. As such I decided to give 15mm a go, here is a link to the spacers I purchased:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eibach-15...stang-S90-6-15-056-2015-WP-237-/172100752240?

These spacers are the best design I have come across as they weigh less and are in my view safer, not only that there is no issue with torquing the nuts to the full 148lb/ft as stated in the hand book.

However fitting this type of spacer is not the usual five minute job, give yourself an hour per side and take your time.

DIY Guide!

1. Start by jacking the car and removing the wheel (21mm socket)

2. Remove brake caliper, this is hardest part as it is hard to get a big wrench/socket in the wheel well, so patience needed. (18mm socket)

3. Remove the splash guard, by undoing the three 8mm bolts

4. With it removed be sure to support the calipers weight, I used some bricks!

5. Now remove the old studs one at a time by hitting with a small metal hammer, no need to go insane, just moderate force hits will do it, also put a 14mm nut on the bolts and hit that bolt with the hammer to preserve the threads on the stock studs.

6. Once the stud is out, put the new longer stud in place, note you will only get the studs in and out between the 11-12o'clock position and they will go in with gentle tapping, if they are not just rotate the hub a couple of mm and they will just tap into place.

7. Hammer the stud a little into the wheel hub, again using light force just to get the stud started.

8. Then with a tool I made, old wheel nut with top taken off and a larger washing, thread this onto the stud until tight to pull stud all the way through and then remove the hand made tool.

9. New spacer and new studs show time!

10. Nearly done!

11. Comparison old and new studs, 15mm spacer, so 15mm longer studs.

12. Finished!

13. Notes use blue loctite on splash shield and caliper bolts, splash shield bolts are just nipped up, caliper bolts give them everything you got. Put wheel back on, tighten, let car down, torque wheels, go for drive, re-torque wheels! :)

Results!

Pictures speak volumes:

The results are perfect, exactly what I wanted, there is no poke and the wheels are as flush to the body work your going to get without having poke. Car now looks higher in the rear and no longer looks like the suspension is collapsing in on it self, really please with the results and I far prefer this type of spacer that just comes with longer studs.

Unfortunately Eibach 20mm and 25mm design seem to go back to the design of attaching to the hub using current studs and having new studs in place, it is perfectly safe but I far prefer the idea of there only being one set of bolts to tighten (wheel to hub) rather than two sets (spacer to hub, wheel to spacer).

Once the mud flaps arrive I shall install the front 23mm spacers I have!

Driving impressions!
Car has not changed in anyway, all I would say is the car has a touch more understeer and more grip in the rear, which is what you would expect when just widening the rear track by 30mm. This car as standard has slight understeer towards limits, now the understeer is a little more noticable. Once I fit the 23mm (46mm track widening) the cars balance should be a bit better than factory, with just very slight understeer, we shall see.

But for me these 15mm spacers give the perfect no poke look, they weigh less and are safer. A perfect fit for GT PP cars, only downside being they take longer to install. :)
Sponsored

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
Def would have been easier to get a spacer with studs but im shocked the oem studs came out so easily without having to remove the hub and press out with a hydraulic press. Thanks for posting this up.

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Def would have been easier to get a spacer with studs but im shocked the oem studs came out so easily without having to remove the hub and press out with a hydraulic press. Thanks for posting this up.
Spacers with studs are heavier and not as safe as the ones I have used.

However for the front I will probably go with the more traditional type of spacer with studs already in as I need 20-25mm in the front to bring wheel flush with body work. :)

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
Still cool how easy those studs came out. I wonder if my car after suffering two NyC winters with road salt would be as easy.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Gibbo -

Not to get off topic - I saw in your response that you are waiting for mud flaps - which ones did you order?

Sponsored

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Where'd you get the new studs? Link?

Jbenso127

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GTPP M6 Ingot/Saddle.
OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored
OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First stud I've heard of with same thread that's great thank you
Well its an Eibach spacer kit for our cars, so one would expect the included studs to be the correct fitment and pitch.

For ÂŁ100 or around $150 they were great value and in my opinion a safer option than the regular spacer type, also better for performance as you only have the weight of one set of studs on your hub and not two sets.

Plus I feel 15mm looks the best in the rear on GT PP cars, 20mm has slight poke and 25mm/1" clearly stick out unles you dial in loads of negative rear camber which then ruins handling.

15mm all the way! :)

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
That's odd. That same part number only comes up with the bolt-on 15mm Eibach spacers.... Now I'm on a quest for those studs so I can lose the ARP 14mm ones.

Edit: And that is what's in the pic on the ebay listing.

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's odd. That same part number only comes up with the bolt-on 15mm Eibach spacers.... Now I'm on a quest for those studs so I can lose the ARP 14mm ones.

Edit: And that is what's in the pic on the ebay listing.
The ebay link I gave is the kit I purchased, it came with everything. :)
Sponsored