Sponsored

DIY CF spoiler fitment (3M tape)

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
I really wanted do some slight modding of my 2018 GT for a long time and for some reason always liked the factory blade spoiler, it's subtle and gives enough contrast to the decklid. The problem is that options are limited and prices high over in europe, so most options are the cheap ones from China while the expensive ones are still from the same factories in China just marked up making it look like the real deal.

Anyway, got a nice looking CF blade spoiler and it looks nice the only issue is that the fitment is far from perfect. It's slightly twisted and I have to apply force in 2 different locations for it to sit 'flush'. I'm mostly worried that one of the edges will just keep popping up and the tape wont be strong enough.

What is everyones experiences with aftermarket spoilers when it comes to fitment, should I expect the fitment to be 100%? And how well would the 3M tape deal with tension?
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
2 thoughts, 3M is good stuff, make sure you clean all contact surfaces, deck lid and spoiler .

Before you prep and apply tape.

Try letting the CF spoiler sit in the sun, couple of hours. See if it becomes more flexible. Then try the fit to the deck lid.

If you find that it is easier to get the fit, that's way to go .

With the tape applied to the part. Sit it in the Sun. Car in garage, when the CF is at temp apply.

You are aware of how to aline and start to apply the taped part, starting at one corner?

After market has those almost close fits many time. The tighter the tolerances (most times), is what determines the pricing.

Factory, in this case Ford always best.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I would suggest an additional step. After cleaning, wipe the contact area with 3M adhesion promoter.
This:
adhesion promoter.jpg