OP
OP
Alfa Male

Alfa Male

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Giulia
When i looked into it (because i was going to get one of these kits for my splitter), it was a case of two or three 2k coats, that's following the "tack coat" it depends how "deep" you want the gloss to be. A lot of places recommend one coat (following the tack coat), but personally if it's on a piece that'll see a lot of sunlight like an exterior pannel, it's better to run more coats than less. And it's zero hassle whilst it's off the car.

From looking into it and speaking to the bodyshop i had they recommended going to about 700 grits for lacquer tack coat, then coat 1 straight over it whilst it's tacky, sand that to 2k, add another sand to 2k (or if final coat to 3.5k), then polish it up with a compound then some finishing polishes (Goes down to your preferences).

Again, I like the "high/deep gloss" effect, which i think really benefits with carbons resin under it. So totally your call but it's looking great already :).

P.s if you want to get the brushes out of resin, heat the resin up, then sit it in olive oil to loosen the bristles then hit it with some acetone/turp/ipa (girlfriend does resin art, and the stuff they use in carbon/fibreglass is the same shit)
I’ve spoken to my mate who owns a local car body shop and he’s going to blow over them with lacquer when they’re finished.

As for brushes they are so cheap to buy I’ve ordered another dozen off eBay to keep me going for a while !
Sponsored

OP
OP
Alfa Male

Alfa Male

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Giulia
Good and bad news today I’ve noticed there is some minor dust contamination stuck to surface of resin. I’m hoping this will sand off on the final prep stages.

Thought I’d try a test fit nonetheless to make sure they still fit etc.

Very pleased with the fit and finish so far, think I’ve found myself a new hobby !

04297FC2-A974-4903-B3F7-5D865984CCFA.jpeg
A4AFB357-C7A9-4F4A-9C79-E77DAE8FB141.jpeg

s1ms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Good and bad news today I’ve noticed there is some minor dust contamination stuck to surface of resin. I’m hoping this will sand off on the final prep stages.

Thought I’d try a test fit nonetheless to make sure they still fit etc.

Very pleased with the fit and finish so far, think I’ve found myself a new hobby !
That looks really good!!!

PS: Someone's hiding in the back of your car!!! :bandit:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve spoken to my mate who owns a local car body shop and he’s going to blow over them with lacquer when they’re finished.

As for brushes they are so cheap to buy I’ve ordered another dozen off eBay to keep me going for a while !
Brill! they look awesome by the way!

Might do mine to match the wheels when the wheels are done.

OP
OP
Alfa Male

Alfa Male

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Giulia
Just to bring this all to a close as I’ve finally finished this now !

Luckily all the contamination sanded out perfectly so after 400, 800, and 1200 paper I hit it with the rotary and used the provided polishing compound and he’s the end result.

After sanding with 1200

5D508134-1451-4406-9A6D-8C0C451EF817.jpeg

End result

E4D46570-9D3B-43E3-BCCD-D30B84E1D0F2.jpeg

In the sun you can really see the weave of the carbon fibre twill

18719012-715B-4DA8-8EF2-9896CC71A5A2.jpeg

And fitted

91910E7C-F14D-47C9-AF3F-24C702C4444D.jpeg

I’ll stop boring you all now with this thread.

Summary very easy for a novice just takes time and patience. Super pleased with end result next project is the front splitters...!
AC0C8255-C3FE-4602-944E-0194390A79DF.jpeg

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Cracking work... next up - your roof :p!

OP
OP
Alfa Male

Alfa Male

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Giulia
Cracking work... next up - your roof :p!
Don’t tempt me I’d love a carbon roof just don’t trust in my ability to do this skinning myself on the car !

You can buy a panel (from China !) that clips on to give the carbon fibre roof look but I bet the firmware will be off and it will stick out like a sore thumb !

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t tempt me I’d love a carbon roof just don’t trust in my ability to do this skinning myself on the car !

You can buy a panel (from China !) that clips on to give the carbon fibre roof look but I bet the firmware will be off and it will stick out like a sore thumb !
Just wrap the roof with it, i know you can get like mould release to make a skin, and make a mould for the roof on it, and then obviously make it "off" the car, then cut and mount it in

Or just whack the skin over the top like you did above - did a good enough job, would look amazing, first one i'll have seen with a CF roof!

Psstt.... all the exterior plastics.... window "triangles" (to the inside of the car from wing mirror), interior trim such as the wheel controls etc, could be good stabs for you!

Nevyn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nevyn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang V8 GT
Vehicle Showcase
The wife won’t be supportive of that I’m sure ! Apparently I have a big enough garage to do this in there ! Can’t see what this issue is to be honest.
My dad likes to tell the story of when he rebuilt a Taunus gearbox on the kitchen table. Don’t think mum was impressed so you can tell your other half she has it lucky lol.

Sponsored

Nevyn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nevyn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang V8 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for double reply.
This looks like a great little project and I’m sure I could handle it myself.

I guess I know what I’m doing over the Christmas break.

where do I get new mirror covers as the base for the project?

OP
OP
Alfa Male

Alfa Male

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Giulia
My advice on this is do not do the sanding in the house it creates all manner of dust !

plus make sure you cover up and wear protective gear. I managed to give myself contact dermatitis from all the fine resin dust covering me.

In hindsight I should’ve sanded it outside and wore appropriate gloves, long sleeves etc.

The DIY kit is great and is relatively easy to do. What I learned from this was the laying of the carbon fibre mat is the hardest and most critical bit. Don’t be too eager to apply the mat to the resin as if it’s not fully tacky you ruin the mat, i.e. if it’s too wet still it will slip and the mat will distort.

Also go heavy on the early resin layers and don’t worry about runs as you can easily sand them back. Go too lean and you will get the weave texture on every layer which you’ll really struggle to overcome. So be very generous on first couple of resin layers.

Finally make sure it’s fully cured before finally finishing layers and give it an extra day to cure. I went too early and spent ages chasing correction damage I was causing. Left it a day dead easy to get final finish !!!

Nevyn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nevyn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang V8 GT
Vehicle Showcase
My advice on this is do not do the sanding in the house it creates all manner of dust !

plus make sure you cover up and wear protective gear. I managed to give myself contact dermatitis from all the fine resin dust covering me.

In hindsight I should’ve sanded it outside and wore appropriate gloves, long sleeves etc.

The DIY kit is great and is relatively easy to do. What I learned from this was the laying of the carbon fibre mat is the hardest and most critical bit. Don’t be too eager to apply the mat to the resin as if it’s not fully tacky you ruin the mat, i.e. if it’s too wet still it will slip and the mat will distort.

Also go heavy on the early resin layers and don’t worry about runs as you can easily sand them back. Go too lean and you will get the weave texture on every layer which you’ll really struggle to overcome. So be very generous on first couple of resin layers.

Finally make sure it’s fully cured before finally finishing layers and give it an extra day to cure. I went too early and spent ages chasing correction damage I was causing. Left it a day dead easy to get final finish !!!
Thanks that’s great advice and will help me avoid some of the pitfalls.
Fortunately I have a large, well ventilated workshop at home and have experience in working with nasty chemicals when doing Damascus steel etching and have done fine finishes with French polishing and cyanoacrylate on wooden items before. Hopefully that experience will stand me in good stead

OP
OP
Alfa Male

Alfa Male

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Giulia
Thanks that’s great advice and will help me avoid some of the pitfalls.
Fortunately I have a large, well ventilated workshop at home and have experience in working with nasty chemicals when doing Damascus steel etching and have done fine finishes with French polishing and cyanoacrylate on wooden items before. Hopefully that experience will stand me in good stead
Look forward to seeing how you get on. If you need anymore info give me a shout

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Very nice :sunglasses:

Are the standard mirror caps easy to get on and off and is there a special technique to removal ?

Cheers,

WD :like:
Sponsored