Disengage air bags for HPDE

havasu486

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT350 Electronics Package, Lead Foot Gray
I have a 2018 GT350 I track often. Not a dedicated track car but for HPDE events. Is anyone aware of a way to eliminate the air bags for the track and utilize them on the street? I'm not looking to avoid safety but I feel like an air bag going off on a rumble strip is the last thing I need.

Thanks!!!!
Sponsored

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
Has anyone actually had that happen?

OP
OP
havasu486

havasu486

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone actually had that happen?
When at an event at Road America a few weeks ago a member of their staff mentioned it at the drivers meeting. I believe he said it happened a few weeks previous in an Audi. They suggested shutting the air bags off if possible. Is it going to happen, I doubt it. Can it happen, no question. So if it can be avoided I am all for it.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
I've never seen it, but I've read reports of Caddys and Camaros having an air bag go when they had a rough off. Maybe indicative of a GM problem?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I think its a great question.

I have a local friend who had this happen not a month ago. Yup it was a Camero, and no GM is not paying the $4k to fix it for him. The lawyers say the airbags were working as intended, despite going off after only hitting the rumble strips (well, ok he was a little sideways at the time too, he usually drives a little loose). From what I understand from Corner Ponies is that it can happen with many manufacturers if the sensors get jarred the wrong way.

I don't know how to disable those systems on a Mustang, but FWIW, without suitable replacement restraints such as a HANS and 6 point harness and cage, you may be better off taking your changes with accidental airbag deployment than running with them disabled. The chance of a legit deployment from a crash is more likely than an accidental deployment in our cars. Mustangs don't have a reputation for it like the Cameros (... or Audis?).

Sponsored

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I have a 2018 GT350 I track often. Not a dedicated track car but for HPDE events. Is anyone aware of a way to eliminate the air bags for the track and utilize them on the street? I'm not looking to avoid safety but I feel like an air bag going off on a rumble strip is the last thing I need.

Thanks!!!!
Here is the issue I have found. On a GT this can be done by pulling the Fuse to the Passenger Restraint Control Module you will get an Airbag light and be able to go about your business. Replace the fuse and your good for the street. This is not the case for a GT350 if you use a drive mode other than normal when on track. If you do this in a GT350 Ford was nice enough to add a little extra code in their software to prevent you from using Track or Sport+ drive modes if the seat belts, seat sensors, or airbag system is not 100% happy. This means on a Mageride car you get floppy suspension and the biggest issue is you will go into limp mode after about 15 min on track if you are running hard due to a very aggressive over-temp limit when the car is in normal mode. We are seeing limp mode at CHT of 235 and oil temps of 255. While I do not like running temps that hot anyway Ford will allow much higher limits if the car is in track mode.

We have a dedicated GT350 with a coil over setup on it and a full cage and we have been working out the bugs to get the car happy enough to allow track mode. We have the exhaust and suspension happy, now working on the seat belts, airbags, and crash sensors. We were very surprised to find this as an issue since the GT just does not care if the bags or belts are happy and all drive modes are always available including Track.

Road America turn 5 rumble strips at track out are famous for setting off airbags, it happens nearly every time I am there and while the GM falls victim more than other brands I have seen a wide verity of deployments.

Dave

OP
OP
havasu486

havasu486

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the input Dave!!!!!

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'd rather wear a helmet than not when getting hit in the face with an airbag. Just leave it alone until you get a cage, race seat, harness and Hans.

JackBauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic base GT 6SP
@ddozier thats good to know for my GT. i've never had an airbag go off due to launching or any such thing however back in my 240sx days i know of a 240 whose airbags went off after a hard launch at the drag strip and ever since i've been cautious.

OP
OP
havasu486

havasu486

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
I already have all those items. Now I would like to prevent the air bags from going off. Funny turn 5 at Road America was mentioned. This is exactly one of the places I was thinking about.

Sponsored

Rob-17GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP, 2020 F350 Powerstroke
Sorry to revive an old thread but wondering what people with GT350/R's are doing regarding airbags (disable, leave as is) when tracking a car with a roll bar, fixed back seat, harness and HANS? Can the airbags on the GT350/R be disabled without affecting anything else like drive mode function?

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
The GT and GT350s will allow track mode with the airbag light on the dash lit, but all other systems have to be happy. Magriaride, active exhaust, ABS and no check engine lights, once those are met then mode changes are possible,

The biggest issue with disabling the airbags is you want to stop the bags from deploying but keep the PRM (passenger restraint module) to be live on the CAN bus. This means keeping power to the unit. The best solution would be to disconnect each deploy-able device, that means unplug each airbag at the bag and there are a lot of them. In a race car its easy since you will be removing all of them anyway but in a street car the dash, side curtain, and seat belts are going to be very difficult to unplug and then put back into service for a street use.

The PRM gets its power from a 5amp fuse F35 in the body control module, I would start by pulling that fuse and see if the modes are still working. You should get an airbag light on the dash and if you can still use modes you may be done. That will remove power to the entire module and you may end up getting a wrench on the dash but I do not know for sure. Its worth a try.

Dave

Rob-17GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP, 2020 F350 Powerstroke
Thanks Dave! I appreciate the info! I'll try removing F35 fuse in the spring and see what happens.
So if using a fixed back seat and 6-point harness, do you need to plug the stock seat belt in or is that not necessary? Sorry for so many questions. I have had road race cars for 25yrs so haven't had to deal with airbags. It's all new to me so trying to figure out the proper way to track the GT350 w/o causing other issues.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Chances are with a fixed back seat the steering wheel airbag will be disabled because the seat harness won’t be attached (and stock belt won’t be buckled) IDK for certain but I do know it turns on the airbag light on.

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
a certain member on here can comment if he'd like to, but he had race seats installed with the airbag light on when his car rolled at an event - all airbags still deployed from what i understand.
Sponsored