• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Dirty Backside (Mustang GT with Performance Pack)?

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lincoln Continental Reserve; 2024 Mustang GT
I've had my GT for a months now and have noticed the back gets quite dusty/dirty whereas the rest of the vehicle stay clean (no rain). I am guessing the rear spoiler/wing is setting up eddy currents that pulls air up from the street.
Thoughts?
Sponsored

Wiley Marmot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Prem
Yea, that's what it is.

Just be glad its not a hatch; like the Focus RS I traded in on the GT. You'd know what "real dirt" looked like then. :crackup:

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
I've had my GT for a months now and have noticed the back gets quite dusty/dirty whereas the rest of the vehicle stay clean (no rain). I am guessing the rear spoiler/wing is setting up eddy currents that pulls air up from the street.
Thoughts?
How dusty/dirty we talking. I’m almost wondering if thats an advantage to the delete? Admitting needs a bath however this is her birthday new to 2684 miles and yet to get her bath.

S650 Mustang Dirty Backside (Mustang GT with Performance Pack)? IMG_1728

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How dusty/dirty we talking. I’m almost wondering if thats an advantage to the delete? Admitting needs a bath however this is her birthday new to 2684 miles and yet to get her bath.

IMG_1728.jpeg
You drive a cleaner life than I do! I'm up to 400 miles and about to give her another bath. I hate handling the trunk area (open/close) with all that dust/dirt. My Ceramic appointment is on the 13th of this month. After that I may not be as touchy.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I can't remember the last car, truck or motorcycle that I had that didn't have this issue to some degree. It's more noticeable the more "busy" the rear design/styling is and Mustangs are pretty high on that scale. I don't think big spoiler, no spoiler, high spoiler, lip spoiler, Gurney Flap makes much difference in normal street driving. With my BMW it primarily settles on the top surface of the "bumper" so it's easy to just do a quick wipe. With my F150 it's the entire tailgate. Every SUV my wife has owned gets a dirty rear window within 2 miles.

Between the pollen, farmers kicking up dust, housing construction dirtying up roads, and a stone/gravel supplier a mile from my office it is an ongoing battle.

Last edited:

DevilDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT on order
I don't have a rear spoiler on mine and haven't really noticed a problem with dirt/dust on the back of the car. My C7 Z06's were terrible with dirt/dust on the back. The rear end would get dirty if I drove them around the block. The only thing that drives me crazy about my Mustang is all the brake pad dust. Hoping that someone comes out with low dust ceramic pads soon.

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
All vehicles get more dirty on the back side. Spoiler, no spoiler, truck, car etc…. It’s the aerodynamics of the automobile.

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All vehicles get more dirty on the back side. Spoiler, no spoiler, truck, car etc…. It’s the aerodynamics of the automobile.
I don't remember my 2018 WRX (White) getting this dirty this fast.

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't have a rear spoiler on mine and haven't really noticed a problem with dirt/dust on the back of the car. My C7 Z06's were terrible with dirt/dust on the back. The rear end would get dirty if I drove them around the block. The only thing that drives me crazy about my Mustang is all the brake pad dust. Hoping that someone comes out with low dust ceramic pads soon.
Perhaps I need to look a bit closer to my wheels. I haven't noticed brake dust (dark wheels). However, I only have 400 miles on the car. Now my 2003 Mini-Cooper (silver painted wheels). That was bad news and not easy to clean off.

Sofa King

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ecoboost, Vapor Blue, HPP
Perhaps I need to look a bit closer to my wheels. I haven't noticed brake dust (dark wheels). However, I only have 400 miles on the car. Now my 2003 Mini-Cooper (silver painted wheels). That was bad news and not easy to clean off.
The performance package brakes make alot of dust... dark wheels help (and ceramic coat)... mine are gloss gunmetal but the dust makes them look like dull gunmetal, worse yet, the tires turn brown. Have only washed the car once right after I got it (just before ceramic coat)... but have washed the tires and wheels several times .

Vapor Blue GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang and CRV
I don't remember my 2018 WRX (White) getting this dirty this fast.
Some cars may get dirtier a little quicker than others but all vehicles create a negative air pressure area in the rear when moving forward. The ride height, conditions of the road, etc… all factor in. I’d go out on a limb and even say the type of protection you have on the car will affect it as well although.

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The performance package brakes make alot of dust... dark wheels help (and ceramic coat)... mine are gloss gunmetal but the dust makes them look like dull gunmetal, worse yet, the tires turn brown. Have only washed the car once right after I got it (just before ceramic coat)... but have washed the tires and wheels several times .
Ah! Brown tires. I had forgotten that about my 2003 Mini Cooper.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Ceramic coat won't make less dust stick. It just makes it come off easier. Ask me how I know.

Last mile to my house is unpaved. I carry a Dewalt leaf blower in the trunk. Sometimes I hit the local wand car wash place just to rinse the dust off, then use the leaf blower to get 98% of the water beads off, then microfiber towel from The Rag Co.

If you get ceramic coat, make sure they do your wheels (remove and do the entire wheel surfaces, not just the outside surfaces). Mine was a different product from the same company (IGL) but meant for aluminum. Brake dust will not stick to or destroy your wheels (still need to wash).

Just got my upgrades for my pressure washer the other day: MTM Hydro SGS28 shirt gun and wand, PF22.2 foam cannon, Kobrajet 50' non-marking hose, and fittings. If rain holds off today, it will be my first chance at a proper cleaning.

OP
OP
DCS

DCS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ceramic coat won't make less dust stick. It just makes it come off easier. Ask me how I know.

Last mile to my house is unpaved. I carry a Dewalt leaf blower in the trunk. Sometimes I hit the local wand car wash place just to rinse the dust off, then use the leaf blower to get 98% of the water beads off, then microfiber towel from The Rag Co.

If you get ceramic coat, make sure they do your wheels (remove and do the entire wheel surfaces, not just the outside surfaces). Mine was a different product from the same company (IGL) but meant for aluminum. Brake dust will not stick to or destroy your wheels (still need to wash).

Just got my upgrades for my pressure washer the other day: MTM Hydro SGS28 shirt gun and wand, PF22.2 foam cannon, Kobrajet 50' non-marking hose, and fittings. If rain holds off today, it will be my first chance at a proper cleaning.
How well does the leaf blower work? I've been thinking about trying that. The microfiber towel I use does a good job until it gets saturated. I can't squeeze it out like I used to do with a Chamois. I ended up buying a second large microfiber towel.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
How well does the leaf blower work? I've been thinking about trying that. The microfiber towel I use does a good job until it gets saturated. I can't squeeze it out like I used to do with a Chamois. I ended up buying a second large microfiber towel.
If it is ceramic coated, you can blow 98% of the water off the vehicle in half a minute. Only use the towel for any leftover beads in odd places. The blower is good for getting water out of cracks and crevices, too.
Sponsored