Digital instrument cluster unit cooling fins

AceS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ace
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I came across some pictures of a digital instrument cluster for sale and one of them showed the back of the unit. I didn’t think the display would generate enough heat to require this amount of cooling fins. I wonder if the unit has an internal cooling fan as well. Anyone ever notice this before?
C9C5CFC0-A269-44A2-B3FA-3574740EAFBB.jpeg
Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The instrument panel isn't just a dumb display. It's a fairly powerful computer in its own right. I wouldn't be surprised if it generated quite a bit of heat.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AceS550

AceS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ace
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I agree that it’s not just a “dumb” display but I was surprised at what is technologically necessary to make it function. I may have been oversimplifying, but converting CAN bus data into a visual display with some animations and functions didn’t seem that crazy in today’s world of electronics. No offense was intended in my original post.

I found some information online regarding some of the efforts that went into creating the digital instrument cluster. It’s actually pretty impressive and informative.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rightware.com/blog/digital-instrument-cluster-showcase-at-tu-automotive-2018?hs_amp=true

809C19F3-67A2-4D89-8085-ABAD919AF6D0.jpeg

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The IPC is pretty impressive, indeed. It doesn't even merely convert CAN data into graphics. It's a mini computer which is directly responsible of what's displayed and how, makes its own decisions, communicates continously with many other modules, and even controls how other modules work. There's a lot going on on CAN between the various electronic modules, and the IPC is right at the center of it all.
As an aside, I was stunned to find that the rearview mirror in the Mondeo/Fusion has two computers inside. One is made by Ford with software created in-house, and the other is made by Blackberry. The mirror, for God's sake! Two computers in the mirror! The amount of computing power in contemporary Fords is unbelievable. :)

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Is the memory soldered or upgradeable ? :computerrage:

just kidding

That is a hell of a heat sync .

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Does it really have a fan? I don't think it does, but it has plenty of cooling features, like the holes and fins. I don't hear any noise in there with the ignition on, so if there's a fan in there, it's probably temperature activated, and not running all the time. Now I'm curious about that. Ha ha.

JWMGR8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JW
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Interesting design. There is a youtube video showing how this unit is the cause of dreaded dash noise. Not from a fan but the mounting is metal to metal and can create a bee buzz type noise on certain pavements. I've noticed in my 2020 GT I have the bee buzz at times. It is not consistent but it appears to start after 15minutes of driving in warmer weather and at hwy speeds and then depends on condition of pavement?
Have others experienced the Bee Buzz
Sponsored