Sponsored

Digital Instrument Cluster in Convertible --- Readable in Sun Glare?

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S
I am not in Florida, but am in TN and go up and down mountains all the time. Even when the sun is directly behind me as I come down off the hill, I don't have a problem. I would be saddened to lose the digital dash.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bobby57

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I am not in Florida, but am in TN and go up and down mountains all the time. Even when the sun is directly behind me as I come down off the hill, I don't have a problem. I would be saddened to lose the digital dash.
I have gotten enough good feedback on this thread to feel comfortable to do this...I just placed the order through americanmuscle.com

I will post a picture with my feedback once installed

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Don't do it. You won't see a doggone thing on the instrument panel when sunlight hits it directly. Don't take my word for it. Try seeing anything on your infotainment display when the sun hits it. Florida, Alaska, doesn't make a bit of difference, unless you consider the length of day and whether you'd have the top down in the first place.

OP
OP
Bobby57

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Don't do it. You won't see a doggone thing on the instrument panel when sunlight hits it directly. Don't take my word for it. Try seeing anything on your infotainment display when the sun hits it. Florida, Alaska, doesn't make a bit of difference, unless you consider the length of day and whether you'd have the top down in the first place.
Yes, the small digital display between the tachometer and speedometer on my 2016 gauge cluster washes out in bright sunlight. What I find most annoying, when this happens, is that the tiny automatic transmission gear indicator becomes completely unreadable.

My understanding is that the digital cluster has a much higher resolution LED panel and a much better anti-glare lens? I expect that the large gear indicator, and tachometer and speedometer will all be sufficiently readable in sunlight? As far as other gauges are concerned, I can tolerate moments of their unreadability. Also, i do not use the Sync 3 navigation system, so the cluster's navigation display does not come into use for me.

Well, notwithstanding my hesitation, I already ordered it a few days ago from Sam Reeves. Sam has put some posts on this forum on the needed Ford parts and ForScan programming.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-digital-cluster-installation-guide.99275/

You are the second person who advised against it. Do you, yourself, have it installed in your 2016 convertible?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
I dont. That said, the center display between the tach and speedo also washes out in the sun. Cant think of a single digital display on any car, going all the way back to C4 Corvettes that weren't hard or impossible to read in the sun.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bobby57

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I dont. That said, the center display between the tach and speedo also washes out in the sun. Cant think of a single digital display on any car, going all the way back to C4 Corvettes that weren't hard or impossible to read in the sun.
I agree: the small digital panel between the analogue speedometer and tachometer is terrible --- very low resolution, very low luminance, and an overly reflective lens. I do a lot of paddle shifting and my elderly brain sometimes forgets the gear selection; in bright sunlight I have to shield the display with my hand to read it.

I have gotten Ford service department SUV loaners with the digital display and found them to be sufficiently readable in bright sun. I have also driven BMW 4 series/M4 convertibles with digital instruments and found them very readable with their tops down and bright sun.

I started this thread as I wasn't sure how good the Ford offering was for a convertible, but I have gotten some good feedback from members who have it in their convertibles. On the other hand, the other day I ran into a guy at a red light who has the set-up and he was not too positive about it

As of a couple of days ago the point has become moot for me as I ordered the kit. When I get it installed I will post some pictures and feedback

Thanks!

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Hope you are enjoying it and finding it legible to your satisfaction.

OP
OP
Bobby57

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Hope you are enjoying it and finding it legible to your satisfaction.
As to the sun glare, I have definitely experienced it, but not to the point where I cannot make out the speed, rpm and current gear. All the other information is gravy.

One disappointment is that the lens of the cluster came to me with lots of swirling micro-scratches, which, to my mind, could not have been produced by anything other than cleaning attempts. This would say that I was sold a used unit under the guise of it being new. The micro-scratches most definitely exacerbate the glare. I picked up some MEGUIAR'S PlastX to take out the scratches.

Having said all that, I would never want to go back --- I'm loving it.

Ferrcad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
You could always replace the cover. It's like $20 bucks from Ford but it would require pulling the Speedo to replace.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bobby57

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
You could always replace the cover. It's like $20 bucks from Ford but it would require pulling the Speedo to replace.
Good to know that the lens is a separate part If I cannot get the scratches out. Of course, It will be a major pain taking it all apart again

thanks!

Ferrcad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I did my conversion I got a used Speedo from LKQ online for 160 bucks and had someone reprogram it. I bought a new lens when I order my steering wheels switches from Autonation. Just swapped to the new one on install. They scratch pretty easy, just cleaning them it can happen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bobby57

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
When I did my conversion I got a used Speedo from LKQ online for 160 bucks and had someone reprogram it. I bought a new lens when I order my steering wheels switches from Autonation. Just swapped to the new one on install. They scratch pretty easy, just cleaning them it can happen.
Smart moves

OP
OP
Bobby57

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)

I am having difficulty locating the part number for the lens. I searched the Ford parts site based on my having a 2019 Mustang but the all the instrument clusters listed have diagrams that represent the analog cluster.

Not sure that the following will provide the list at which I am looking (might require a browser cookie) https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/electrical/instruments-and-gauges/100/1#list

BTW, the instrument clusters are identified as being either "mid-series" or "high-series". I gather that mid-series is the analog cluster and high-series the digital cluster?

Would you happen to have an easily-located reference to the part you ordered?

Thanks

Ferrcad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)