Sponsored

Digital Instrument Cluster in Convertible --- Readable in Sun Glare?

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I am considering installing the digital instrument cluster into my supercharged 2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible, my now having the stock analog cluster. I would do this by either buying the individual parts myself and doing the ForScan programming, or by paying someone to kit the parts, such as is done by Infotainment.com and hellhorseperformance.com, the former also having their kit sold by americanmuscle.com.

There are a bunch of good YouTube videos that cover the installation based on the kits, and there is a post on this site that details what one would have to purchase to build their own kit ---- https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-digital-cluster-installation-guide.99275/

I have two concerns about switching to the digital instrument cluster:

1) Does the digital instrument cluster maintain readability with the top down and the sun overhead?
3) Can the instrument cluster be programmed to interpret boost from the vacuum gauge, given that my engine is supercharged?

Thanks, in advance for your help!

...and, BTW, this is my first post to the site, my having picked up my stang a few months ago.
Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
On vehicles with the performance pack there is an extra set of gauges in the center of the dash. On GT's one of them is a vacuum gauge, on ecoboost cars that gauge is changed to a vac/boost gauge. It is a common swap to install an ecoboost gauge pack on GT cars so you get a factory boost gauge, and it works without any additional hardware like a map sensor or any special programming. It is literally plug n play. So if the digital cluster has a vac gauge in it, it should work, just request an ecoboost version so you get the vac/boost version of that gauge

Now if you have a performance pack car, just get the ecoboost gauge pack and be done with it. Both LMR and american muscle both sell the gauge pack for less than 300 dollars and its a 20 minute job to install, and the my color still works too if you have it.

https://lmr.com/item/M10849A/ford-performance-mustang-ecoboost-perf-pack-cluster-15-17

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bobby57

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
On vehicles with the performance pack there is an extra set of gauges in the center of the dash. On GT's one of them is a vacuum gauge, on ecoboost cars that gauge is changed to a vac/boost gauge. It is a common swap to install an ecoboost gauge pack on GT cars so you get a factory boost gauge, and it works without any additional hardware like a map sensor or any special programming. It is literally plug n play. So if the digital cluster has a vac gauge in it, it should work, just request an ecoboost version so you get the vac/boost version of that gauge

Now if you have a performance pack car, just get the ecoboost gauge pack and be done with it. Both LMR and american muscle both sell the gauge pack for less than 300 dollars and its a 20 minute job to install, and the my color still works too if you have it.

https://lmr.com/item/M10849A/ford-performance-mustang-ecoboost-perf-pack-cluster-15-17
Thanks! This is very helpful in that, if I go with the digital dash and enable the vacuum/boost gauge, I will get boost indication.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
It should. There is a vacuum gauge in the digital cluster for the GT cars. I don't know if the ecoboost cars get a vac/boost gauge in the digital cluster or not. I would make sure they do before you drop over 2K on a digital cluster conversion.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I just looked at the infotainment site and on the mustang cluster form sheet you fill out it asks if you want the boost gauge enabled. So I would say you should be good. Just get the boost gauge enabled from them and enjoy.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bobby57

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
It should. There is a vacuum gauge in the digital cluster for the GT cars. I don't know if the ecoboost cars get a vac/boost gauge in the digital cluster or not. I would make sure they do before you drop over 2K on a digital cluster conversion.
The lack of
It looks as though I am good on the issue of getting boost indication to the digital cluster. Thanks!

The real deal-breaker for me would be a lack of readability in bright sunlight, particularly given that I have a convertible in Florida.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)

Dai Uy Ted

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2020 Maserati Levante S Ribelle
I'm in Florida. The top is down whenever I'm driving. Never noticed a readability problem with the digital instrument cluster.
Welcome!

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I'm in Florida. The top is down whenever I'm driving. Never noticed a readability problem with the digital instrument cluster.
Welcome!
Same, Florida, top down 98% of the time, and I've had little-to-no issues with glare. I mean, when it does happen, it's just a second. I had a '16 without it, and my '19 with it, and it's an infinitely better experience.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bobby57

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Welcome!
Thanks! I am getting very close to pulling the trigger on this.

OP
OP
Bobby57

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Same, Florida, top down 98% of the time, and I've had little-to-no issues with glare. I mean, when it does happen, it's just a second. I had a '16 without it, and my '19 with it, and it's an infinitely better experience.
Thanks....I am going to have to do this :)

horta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible Manual Race Red
I have a 17 GT convertible and live in Florida. Once you do the swap to digital, please post your thoughts. I love my analog gauges, but digital could be a fun swap.

OP
OP
Bobby57

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I have a 17 GT convertible and live in Florida. Once you do the swap to digital, please post your thoughts. I love my analog gauges, but digital could be a fun swap.
Will do

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I find that unless the sun is directly over my shoulder the dash is very legible. Even in the aforementioned scenario, the dash is not completely washed out, just tougher to read.
Sponsored