Differentiating between 2015-2017 and 2018-2022

RacingRoger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKZ, F-150 Lariat. Future: G6 Mustang GT
If this has been discussed already, my apologies...
I was wondering if there was a better and shortened way to describe the two styles of S550 Mustangs. We know that the 2015 - 2017 models have a slightly different body style than 2018 - 2022 (plus other upgrades), but they're all Gen6. I'd like to get a consensus on a shortened description of each (think of the Gen4 SN95 Mustangs, with the latter in the series called "New Edge" due to the sharper body lines in the facelift).
For the current generation, what makes sense to you?
Gen6.0 and Gen6.1?
Gen6 and Gen6 Facelift?
Something much better than what I come up with already?
Discuss!!! And thanks in advance...
Sponsored

Last edited:

stang-man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GTPP
Transmission choice:
Manual 15-17
Automatic 18+

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Search the Forum threads. It's all there.

OP
OP
RacingRoger

RacingRoger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
Search the Forum threads. It's all there.
Thanks to stang-man and Firsttexan for your responses. Actually, I did attempt to search before I initially posted. The problem I have is you have to put the right things in search for a specific answer to pop up, and I've never been any good at figuring out how to word a search to get my answer. Stang-man's hint (I saw what you did there!) proved noteworthy, as I see some of you are differentiating by saying "15-17" and "18+". As I randomly searched other topics, I did find the 18+ mentioned on an entirely different thread (I'm new here, if you couldn't tell), so I suspect I will see other "nicknames" as I peruse the site over time.
Thanks again to all!

Redfuzzbutt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
A lot of times, the models years are referenced by what generation coyote it is.
Gen 1
11-14
Gen 2
15-17
Gen 3
18+

It's convenient because it also correlates with the bodies and other mechanical and functional changes (IRS, transmissions, etc).

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
For the current generation, what makes sense to you?
Most people refer to the cars as Gen 2 (15-17) due to the 2nd generation Coyote and Gen 3 (18+) for the 3rd generation Coyote. There are alot more differences than the body, which have been outlined in many threads and online comparisons (LMR, CJ etc.)

OP
OP
RacingRoger

RacingRoger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
If I may, I'd like a clarification. In a thread titled "Pre facelift vs facelift S550", this quote:
Oh no, not the cylical OG versus facelift debate again :facepalm:
was posted.

I'm assuming "OG" means Original Gangster, so is that a reference to the 2015-2017 S550's?
(From where I stand, you could argue that the 1964.5 Mustang could be the OG)

And if so, how many of you in this community use OG and Facelift when talking about the S550's?

18+ instead of Facelift I've seen quite a bit, and makes a lot of sense (18+ is short and sweet).

Separating the years by which gen Coyote engine is under the hood makes sense, but only to those who know something about Mustang engines.

Saying "2015-2017" or "15-17" is still kind of a mouth full (yes, when it comes to lazy, I am your king).

I'd propose "Gen 6.0", but that would require folks knowing what a Generation 6 Mustang is, so maybe we're back to the Coyote issue.
S550.0? (Doesn't roll off the tongue like Gen 6.0).

OG is short and sweet, but I'd still like to know if any of y'all use that.

Thanks in advance.....

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
To me 2015-2017 is Gen. 6, and 2018-2023 is Gen. 6 facelift.
And even though stylistically the upcoming S650 is nothing more than an S550 with a bit of filing and chiselling here and there, I think mechanically and functionally it's different enough to be called Gen. 7.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I think mechanically and functionally it's different enough to be called Gen. 7
IMO, there were bigger mechanical differences between the Gen 6 facelift (18+) vs. Gen 6 (15-17) than between the Gen 6 facelift and Gen 7.

The facelift got a completely new automatic, a different MT82, more compression, more displacement, DI, plasma coating, different heads etc. The Gen 7 has the same exact auto and MT82, the engine has the same exact plasma coating, same DI, same compression, same displacement, same pistons.

The Gen 7 is very different interior and exterior, that's really where the biggest difference comes from.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
If I may, I'd like a clarification. In a thread titled "Pre facelift vs facelift S550", this quote:

was posted.

I'm assuming "OG" means Original Gangster, so is that a reference to the 2015-2017 S550's?
(From where I stand, you could argue that the 1964.5 Mustang could be the OG)

And if so, how many of you in this community use OG and Facelift when talking about the S550's?

18+ instead of Facelift I've seen quite a bit, and makes a lot of sense (18+ is short and sweet).

Separating the years by which gen Coyote engine is under the hood makes sense, but only to those who know something about Mustang engines.

Saying "2015-2017" or "15-17" is still kind of a mouth full (yes, when it comes to lazy, I am your king).

I'd propose "Gen 6.0", but that would require folks knowing what a Generation 6 Mustang is, so maybe we're back to the Coyote issue.
S550.0? (Doesn't roll off the tongue like Gen 6.0).

OG is short and sweet, but I'd still like to know if any of y'all use that.

Thanks in advance.....
Douglas, this is a S550 forum so using OG for the 15-17' models would be appropriate. That said I really haven't seen it used on here. The majority of us just use pre and post 18' facelift. Don't get to wrapped around the axle in deciding what to call the models.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Easy way to tell them apart is by lifting the hood, If you see this :

1667481623761.png

You know you are looking at a Gen 3 engine / 2018+ facelift ... :giggle:

WD :like:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The facelift got a completely new automatic, a different MT82, more compression, more displacement, DI, plasma coating, different heads etc. The Gen 7 has the same exact auto and MT82, the engine has the same exact plasma coating, same DI, same compression, same displacement, same pistons.
True, but those are internal. You don't see them. Lift the hood and you'll see exactly the same things, only with a different plastic cover. Get inside and you'll see the same layout, the same controls, and you'll feel exactly the same when you drive the car.
You don't see the extra fuel injectors (well, not unless you remove the cover and you really know what to look for), plasma coating or compression ratio.
Whereas in the Gen. 7 the mechanical differences are more obvious. Lift the hood and you'll see a completely different-looking engine, with an unfamiliar dual intake. Drive the car and you'll be surprised to notice that the engine stops at the lights, and that the hand brake is just an electronic on/off switch. It feels like a different car.
That's what I mean. Not necessarily that there are (or aren't) many technical changes, but that they are (or aren't) obvious to the casual observer.

Last edited:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The Gen 7 is very different interior and exterior, that's really where the biggest difference comes from.
It may seem very different at first glance, but take a closer look and you'll see that it's practically the same car, only with some new touches here and there. The S197 and the SN-95 had nothing in common as far as the interior layout was concerned. Same with S550 vs. S197. Whereas the S650... same door panels, same central tunnel with the same twin cup holders, etc. Even the gear shift knob is exactly the same.
It's the same on the outside. Ignore the new headlights and take a step back, and you'll see it's practically the same body. Same door handles even. The Mach-E-style tail lamps cannot hide the fact that it's the same trunk lid shape, only painted instead of piano black. By contrast, the S197, SN-95 and S550 have nothing in common no matter how you look at them.

Last edited:

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
No. Don't try to over-complicate or change things by hanging pithy new labels on them.

It's just 15-17, or 18-22.

That's all we need to do, we all know what that means.

OP
OP
RacingRoger

RacingRoger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
I really appreciate all the commentary -- most helpful! And precisely what I was looking for. What drove this for me is I got tired of saying "15 thru 17" (5 syllables) vs something like "OG" (2 syllables). I know, I know -- lazy. And over thinking it, which I agree. No need to complicate it.
And if nobody's using OG, then that's no good either. Pre- and Post-Facelift works, but better yet, 15-17 and 18+ does the descriptive job perfectly, even if I'm overtaxing my delicate vocal chords with 5 syllables 🤪
Thanks to All, and I consider the matter resolved!!!
Sponsored