Sponsored

Difference in tires tread depth on the front axle - is 1mm / 0.04" (3/64") OK and safe?

baton85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT'18
Hi

One of the front tires (Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 255/40 R19) on my GT'18 got damaged and needs to be replaced.

These tires were almost new - used for only ~2000 km / 1250 miles.
Therefore the difference in tread depth (between the left / old one and the right / new one) is only 1mm / 0.04" (3/64")

Can you please advise whether I can replace only one tire or this difference is big enough to justify buying both new front tires?

Safety first - and I'm worried whether all systems would work OK having slightly different tread depths on both tires (resulting in wheels spinning at slightly different speeds)

Thanks!
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Yeah, you'll be fine. I replaced one in the rear, then another one after a while. You'll have some grip difference until you break in the new one and it can be noticeable, but you won't die.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
2000 miles is only about 1/10th of the life of the tire. Just replace the one and keep driving. That 1mm delta will decrease a little as you wear and harden both tires. All the systems will work fine (its one of the advantages of ABS is it can handle differences in traction between right and left)

OP
OP

baton85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT'18
Thanks guys!

Probably makes sense to keep the newer tire on the right side as I understand tire on that side tends to wear bit faster
Sponsored