Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Hey guys,
I'm signed up for the 2-day Track Attack April 8-10th. I've read through all the threads on the Track Attack but only saw a few comments on the insurance. Given the nature of the event, it seems unlikely one would cause more than the $5000 deductible's worth of damage to a car, but then again you never know. For those who attended, did you get the insurance?
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yes I got the insurance. I'm not sure I would do the insurance again now that I have been on the track, though. IMO there really aren't any super dangerous or high speed areas on the track. Unless you get really crazy out of control you shouldn't even go off track, much less cause a bunch of damage.

TaraFirma

Wait.....Wut?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 17 GT350, 19 GT, 65 coupe, 13 F-150, 14 Porsche Panamera eHybrid
Are you talking about Fords Track event you get with the purchase of the car?
If so, don't you use their cars.

OP
OP
Demonic

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Yes I got the insurance. I'm not sure I would do the insurance again now that I have been on the track, though. IMO there really aren't any super dangerous or high speed areas on the track. Unless you get really crazy out of control you shouldn't even go off track, much less cause a bunch of damage.
Thanks, that was along the lines of what I was thinking. Did you also do the 2nd day in the Boss 302?

Are you talking about Fords Track event you get with the purchase of the car?
If so, don't you use their cars.
Yes you use their cars but you're still liable for damage you cause to the car, and they offer the option of buying insurance but even then it has a $5000 deductible.

Sponsored

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
As a rule I would not, but I did get it for the TA. I did so twice, as I went twice. The first time, a guy had an off in the last session and got to buy a wheel he scratched for $800. On the second event, there was a dramatic off in the last session, but no damage. I decided buying my liability down from infinite to $5K was tolerable. FWIW YMMV

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Thanks, that was along the lines of what I was thinking. Did you also do the 2nd day in the Boss 302?
Nope, I just did the free day. The wife was with me in Utah and one day of her waiting around was too much. :( It would have been fun to do the second day.

As a rule I would not, but I did get it for the TA. I did so twice, as I went twice. The first time, a guy had an off in the last session and got to buy a wheel he scratched for $800. On the second event, there was a dramatic off in the last session, but no damage. I decided buying my liability down from infinite to $5K was tolerable. FWIW YMMV
Good point about infinite liability! And IIRC the cost of the insurance wasn't too much either.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I got the insurance and when I go again and again, I will get it again (and again). Nothing in the back of my mind will hold me back from [Scotty from star trek voice] "giving her all she's got" [\Scotty from star trek voice].

If you can't afford the insurance, don't start tracking as a hobby. It's not a poor man's game.

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
hmmm... doing the experience with insurance and 2nd day comes out to around $2200. Ouch. Is the second day worth it?

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I did not get the insurance. I figured that the track is pretty well designed without too many walls, so the chances of causing more than $5000 damage was very small. I also asked if anyone had ever needed to pay more than $5000 to fix something and they said “not yet”.

I also tend not to push terribly hard.

-T

Sponsored
OP
OP
Demonic

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I got the insurance and when I go again and again, I will get it again (and again). Nothing in the back of my mind will hold me back from [Scotty from star trek voice] "giving her all she's got" [\Scotty from star trek voice].

If you can't afford the insurance, don't start tracking as a hobby. It's not a poor man's game.
It's not whether I can afford it - it was just a matter of whether it was a legitimate risk given the nature of the event. I'll be buying HPDE insurance for tracking in general, but didn't know if this is one of those events where it's so controlled you wouldn't even have a good opportunity to wreck the car.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
What these guys said: it depends on the track. The TA days? Nah. You're spaced out enough between people too from my understanding.

I ALWAYS get track insurance though for HPDE's and Time Attacks at my local tracks though being Road America and Milwaukee Mile. I could piss on the walls from the edge of the track in some spots with enough beer in me on those monsters. And I DO live in Wisconsin so that's a pretty mundane accomplishment. :cheers::headbonk:

OP
OP
Demonic

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Right, I want to clarify I'm not asking about general track, HPDE, or time trial insurance. I'm specifically asking about the Ford Track Attack and the insurance they offer when you sign up. Thanks for the replies guys.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I did the one day and got the insurance...Would’ve needed it too but it was at the Track Attack where I REALLY learned how good these brakes are....I’d get the insurance.

USMC0341

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
I also got the insurance. It was cheap for the peace of mind. Enjoy!
Sponsored