Sponsored

Did you buy your mustang for a collector car

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
You're comparing a hyper limited car made by one of the most iconic boutique/super car makers of all time to a mustang?

And not for nothing, it still took 30 years before the car started to be financially potent compared to if he'd just invested that money in stocks/bonds/real estate. It was until 40+ years later that the article quotes millions. And that's for a VERY bespoke car from a premium brand/name with very limited numbers.

I'm sorry, but a 1 of a gazillion from Ford motor who sells millions of cars that middle income people can afford is not the equivalent to a classic Ferrari.
Sponsored

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
You're comparing a hyper limited car made by one of the most iconic boutique/super car makers of all time to a mustang?

And not for nothing, it still took 30 years before the car started to be financially potent compared to if he'd just invested that money in stocks/bonds/real estate. It was until 40+ years later that the article quotes millions. And that's for a VERY bespoke car from a premium brand/name with very limited numbers.

I'm sorry, but a 1 of a gazillion from Ford motor who sells millions of cars that middle income people can afford is not the equivalent to a classic Ferrari.
Yep, you understood me then. In my opinion, Ford has built way too many of even the GT500s and GT350s for them to truly be rare and collectible. Just my opinion.

BombZombie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay Adam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby Super Snake
Nope. I'll drive it and enjoy it.

But....if it someday becomes a "collector", then that will just be a neat little addition to a well enjoyed car 😊

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
...naaaa. Just a car to drive until I get tired of it.
Bought the '15 Camaro SS (traded)
'17 Mustang GT (sold)
'20 Challenger Scat Pack (sold)
'21 Mustang GT

next ?. Who knows.

Grandson will end up with whatever my last car is. (+ a ton of money)

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Neither of those will be either, if Ford continues putting out better products. The only noteable exception will be the last generation of large displacement, spark ignition cars. Otherwise, like the 2010-2014 GT500, the Boss, etc...all of those cars people had the SAME idea, but then Ford continues fielding better products and those cars like all others, become terrible INVESTMENTS (compared to what you could make alternatively).

Over a 10 year period, if money you put into it doesn't double AND overcome insurance, tags, maintenance (for 10 years) you've lost money compared to investing it elsewhere.

If you bought a mustang in 2012 for $50k and it's not worth around $90k now, you've LOST money (let alone made any). Inflation is murderous. You'd have been way better off investing $50k in 2012 in equities or real property or precious metals or even low yield stuff like CD's.

It takes decades for cars to become an investment.

Island realty, fine art, CLASSIC CARS, these are all great investments because no one is making any more of them. But for the first few decades, a car has to compete against the next generation as a supply alternative. It's not until the car is so old it becomes socially appealing as a conceded lesser vehicle that it stops competing against new models.
I didn't say they would be collector cars. I said I would treat them more like collector cars. (Lower mileage, more attention to cosmetic detail, etc.) I'm not a young person so if I pass the next generation on a really nice example, who knows what it might be worth when they're not making them any more and everything is electric.

Sponsored

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
I bought the Shelby to be a Collector car… it will, and is, a car that is collecting a lot of miles on the odometer.
I’m averaging 15,000/year and I don’t plan on slowing down as I collect all the enjoyment out of this car that I can.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll be long gone before my 21 GT/CS hits collector status. I’m the current caretaker and plan on leaving this to my son and hopefully future grand kid.
We’re currently restoring a 68 fastback.. I consider that a collector at 53 years old.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I think most people are confusing "collector" with "investment". Collector doesn't have to equal investment opportunity. Its something that someone wants or plans to keep for the long haul, or those that are already "there" has kept for a long time and doesn't plan to sell or get rid of it. I plan and hope to keep my ZL1 for many decades, and want to keep it running in tip top shape over those years.

And for those that say there are too many Mustangs made to be collector cars, tell that to the one million+ Mustangs that were made in the first couple of years that are still around. They may not be good investments over all this time, but they are no doubt "collector cars" (esp. ones in good condition).

In 50 years, any S550 Mustang GT/GT350/GT500/Mach 1, etc. in good condition will be very rare, same with 6th gen Camaro SS/ZL1s, current SRT Challengers...etc.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Nope.

An S550 collector to me, IMO, would only be the following models:
  • 2015 True Limited Edition 50th Anniversary (only 1,964 built)
  • Any year GT350R
  • First year GT500‘s
  • 2018/19 GT PP2 (these are actually very hard to find these days)
  • GT350 Heritage
  • GT500 Heritage
S550 Bullitt and standard GT350, produced in too many numbers. Mach 1 is too new to tell, but again it’s going to go into 2nd year of production.

Collectible is different in everyone’s eyes today… what may be collectible to you, may not be to me or vice versa….

Collectible now isn’t equivalent to the 60’s Muscle Cars…. What makes the 60’s Muscle Cars so highly sought after now isn’t what they were, it’s that people bought them as cars, drove them, beat the shit out of them, drivetrain gutted or swapped them and didn’t care about them, other than they were a mode of transportation of the times. They didn’t become real collectible until the late 90’s when most were known to have been scrapped, because car people were now seeking them and the findings were not many survived due to the above. Many were sold dirt cheap or scrapped when the 70’s gas crisis hit and as years passed most were junked because they were “just cars”. No one back then cared what a Yenko was, what an “SS” was, what a rare Vette fuelie was, or that a Mustang was a BOSS 429, Shelby, Mach 1 or BOSS 302…. THAT is what is and will always make a Classic Muscle Car worth 6-7 figures today…

To be collectible, say using the standard S550 GT350’s for example - it would need to be a low Chassis Build #, all original numbers matched (no engine replacement), all original owner’s kits, all docs from new (meaning stickers, paperwork, etc. that is usually trashed by Dealer PDI), certain exterior/interior color and option packages that are either desirable OR w/o “fringe”. Just because the S550 GT350’s are desirable and sought after by Shelby Enthusiasts, doesn’t mean they are all worth the same value and are all highly sought after. Plus, IMO, Ford burned the collectible status on the standard GT350 by mass producing them (IN TOTAL BUILD QUANTITY) for what, almost 6 production years?

—- To put it into more perspective…
My 1994 SVT Cobra is Build # 0013 out of the 5,009 coupes built in 1994 (and total overall production of 6,009). From my research alone in my now 19 years of ownership, I’m only the 2nd owner, it’s the earliest build by month/day, lowest surviving SVT # for a coupe and it has the lowest VIN #. It’s also still numbers matched, retains the BUC tag and retains all VIN identifiers, along with SVT Certification. Do I feel it’s a “collectible”? NO. I have driven it and used it as it was designed, it wasn’t meant to be mothballed. The car looks nearly new inside, outside and by engine bay - it’s by no means “mint”, but on a scale of 1-10, 10 being best, it’s a solid 9 by overall condition when compared to other 1994 Cobras. Would others feel it’s a “collectible”? Yes, for only 2 reasons that a documented low SVT # along with a desired color combo is sought after for the SN95 SVT Cobras from 1994-2004. Now of course there’s always the “naysayers” and believe that the 1993 SVT Cobras are the holy grail these days… when fact is, the SN95 Cobras and GT’s where Fox firewall forward and where still on a Fox unibody floor pan and chassis… ;)

Is my (or any other) 1994 SVT Cobra an “investment”? NO, not IMO…. Sure I could get decent $ for it and sure it’s appreciating in value, but when I purchased it, there was absolutely no intention of it being a collector car, any type of “investment”, nor did I even know it’s SVT # until a few years after owning it. I had previously owned a 1996 Cobra too, so to me the “SVT Certificate” wasn’t a big deal, so I never cared to know what SVT # my 94 was after having owned the 96 (which was build # 3,xxx out of the 10k built for 1996). Only after finding out my 94 Cobra was SVT # 0013 did I start researching and looking for 1994 SVT Build #’s 0001-0012, or 0014-0020…. That in itself is a whole other chapter, which is well documented on other forums… and to date, I can say no one has come forward with any 94 Cobra Coupe with a lower SVT #, lower VIN or any information on the other builds prior to mine.

So the above is long winded, but as you can see, collectibility means something different to all. For me, my 94 is a unique Mustang, it has its part in Mustang history so to speak, but it’s no different than the SVT Cobras before it, or any after it… they were all “cookie cut” off the same production line with the same performance features - and same is true with the S197 Shelby’s and forward on to the S550’s….

Collectibility is in the eye of the beholder and to the one parting their money to secure that vehicle for driving pleasure or to mothball it in hopes that some day, it’s going to be their lucky lotto ticket for them (or whomever it’s passed to after they die). Because let’s face it and be REALISTIC, many of these so called “collector cars” that are bought and mothballed outlast their owner, so to those who think they’re going to “cash out” on their cool car they wouldn’t drive and just stared at it, guess what, half of you never even get that chance to cash your supposed collector car lotto ticket… You die, it ends up in an Estate Sale, gets sold cheap by your widow who doesn’t even understand it’s value, gets auctioned by State if no survivors, or your kids who you passed it down to don’t even want it and will sell it off just to get cash to blow… :devil:

Sponsored

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Bought mine while I was working full time knowing I won’t be able to afford one when I retire. I’m retired now and glad I did that. I plan on keeping it until I’m dead.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I ordered and bought mine simply to have the latest Mustang, and since it wasn't a special edition model this time around I felt better about modding whatever I saw fit. Turns out it's a very rare car as built, and a friend that's in the collector car business for a living thinks I should hang onto it even though it's just a GT. I probably will since it's still low-mile and immaculate and I just plain like the car, but I have no delusions about it being worth any huge fortune. I'll drive and enjoy it on nice days as intended. Instead of buying any more late model cars, I'll continue to invest in classic cars and real estate.

Last edited:

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
I purchased a new 2021 mustang gt convertble , I truly believe that I am planning on keeping this car as long as I can . Just wondering if any one else plans on keeping their s550 mustang as a collector car ?

6C00A567-6224-4DCC-A594-464866884968.jpeg
I Think you are thinking long term ownership and use.
Those that buy with the thought of collector car, tend to not use them much as miles and wear hurt value.

I bought mine to snap my neck back into the headreast as much as I can.
I will keep it long term, so not worried about resale values or rock chips.
I don't think it ever be a collector car in 30 odd years. As I think high output turbo 4's will be the norm . So the E/B HHP might be rare as far as total mustang production but the number of people that are interested in this type of drivetrain are not pony car buyers, So collector car, isn't on my mind. Driving the wheels off it, with a grin ear to ear is.

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
No garage Queen here… I bought mine for sole reason to get out and drive it….19K already in 9 months.

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
I just hope that it means a little less severe depreciation hit. I can't see doing what really needs done in order to make it an attractive car to collectors- No mods, no miles. I think special editions generally are more attractive to used buyers, especially if the plain old GT market is pretty flooded.
Sponsored