Did they seriously Spray Foam the IRS?

tevaburns

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tiberius
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
I was just looking at Full Tilt Boogie Racing's website cause I want their diff cooler kit. I happened to notice something in their install photos. Something, to my knowledge, has not been discussed here. It looks like they filled the insides of their IRS with SPRAY FOAM INSULATION!!! The stuff they sell at the hardware store to fill gaps around your windows & doors at home.

WHY? Did they do this to quiet down the rear end, add strength, or did they hope it might reduce heat transfer from the exhaust to the diff? Seen here: http://www.fulltiltboogieracing.com/S550_diff_cooler_kit.html

Anyone else done this? I'll email Fulltilt and report back. View attachment 357820 View attachment 357821
S550 Diff Cooler Kit - Side View.jpg
S550 Diff Cooler Kit - Under Car View.jpg
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
I do spray foam insulation lol, there are different types of foam, different densities, open cell and closed cell. I am sure whatever ford determined to use in there is perfectly fine, and believe it or not, foam adds a lot of structural strength in the foundations/places we spray. Every job has its own application need. Not one foam fits all.

When used correctly, its unbeatable (in terms of R value) but it does get quite stiff/strong in our applications. Not cheap either!. Just finished a job this week, $70,000 in spray foam for a 140x100pole barn ceiling and walls on a new build. Also reduces sound/and can also fill crevices and holes with its expanding nature.

Todd00000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Ford has used spray foam as a noise insulator in F-150 A-pillars.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I don't think that happened at the factory. Looks like someone else did it

Sponsored

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
I do spray foam insulation lol, there are different types of foam, different densities, open cell and closed cell. I am sure whatever ford determined to use in there is perfectly fine, and believe it or not, foam adds a lot of structural strength in the foundations/places we spray. Every job has its own application need. Not one foam fits all.

When used correctly, its unbeatable (in terms of R value) but it does get quite stiff/strong in our applications. Not cheap either!. Just finished a job this week, $70,000 in spray foam for a 140x100pole barn ceiling and walls on a new build. Also reduces sound/and can also fill crevices and holes with its expanding nature.
$70k for spray foam in a shop? Someone is never going to break even on their ROI...

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
$70k for spray foam in a shop? Someone is never going to break even on their ROI...
Thats bottom of barrel for our work man, we do big facilities. whirlpool, gm, ford, etc those type deals. hundreds of thousands of $$$. We do some retrofitting in homes, not often but we use cellulose for that, foam only on new builds or full drywall removal and we will foam the cavities, otherwise it's impossible. Cellulose is just slow work during down season, makes a small percentage of profit vs 35-45%+ profit in foam. We also do roofing etc.

Its ideal to use our roofing systems with our foams/insulation systems for warranty/$ jobs. Happened to have a couple photos on phone from before the job, had to wrap all the big beams with plastic (additional 20 hours) of work just to do all these.

Was a pain in the butt. but it'll look clean once they finish with covering walls etc. full piping in the polished concrete too for slab heat, energy bills will be non existent.Should be extremely efficient. Had to put plastic on floor as well, spraying ceiling has some dripping / overspray from gravity so yep, a lot of plastic used in this project
IMG_6542.JPG
IMG_6540.JPG

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I know they use to do an odd-form of that in off road vehicles, to keep debris and stuff from getting into spaces. It does dampen and share load, etc.

That didn't look like stock foam, though.

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
It’s totally worth it. I calculate energy models and do MEP engineering for a living and recommend this in every building but it gets VE’d about half the time by ignorant owners and know it all contractors. Once you’ve had a building with closed cell foam spray-in you’ll always have it. His price is about right for a shop that size to do the ceiling and walls. His number is under $3.25/sf if the walls are 12’ tall (about 21,600 s.f for wall and ceiling) A 6” thick R38 spray foam typically has an the ROI under 3 years vs high density R21 batt. R24-30 Foam board to cover that large of space would be about the same price just for the materials and those tend to be leaky when we donair infiltration testing. The house we built and finished last June is about 3200 sf heated area and has a 85Kbtu radiant heater in a 3 car garage, over the last year we used 650 gallons of propane and our average electric bill was $65 a month - under $2000 a year for utilities. The basement is not heated or cooled but another 2600sf of air space. We live kind of out in the sticks, work from home, and we cook at home twice a day, rarely 3 times, and have all propane appliances. We did closed cell foam in 2x6 (5-1/2”) walls, and the foam was rated at 6.5R per inch. We did R50 in the attic using blow in. If you build a new home or shop it’s worth looking into. I wish we had done the attic but R50 blow in is dirt cheap.

FYI - ROI is faster in northern climates

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
tevaburns

tevaburns

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tiberius
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
Our cars do not come like this from the factory guys.

I got a response back from Full Tilt Boogie Racing:

"Yes, you are correct. When we developed the diff insert bushings we wanted to see what we could do to help dampen the NVH. We hoped the spray foam would help prevent the noise from transferring through the IRS but didn't help much.

Sincerely,
James & The FTBR Team "

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
Very good post. Yeah everything he said spot on. I can’t recommend foam enough, I insulated my house with cellulose myself, r60 lol 21 inches, settled to around 17.

I have 3k sq foot home. My gas and electric year round is 75 or so combined monthly. People really under estimate insulation

OP
OP
tevaburns

tevaburns

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tiberius
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
Very good post. Yeah everything he said spot on. I can’t recommend foam enough, I insulated my house with cellulose myself, r60 lol 21 inches, settled to around 17.

I have 3k sq foot home. My gas and electric year round is 75 or so combined monthly. People really under estimate insulation
Truth, my bills are 1/2 of what they used to be. Had spray foam done to my house 2 years ago.

Wile-E Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red GT PP
Thats bottom of barrel for our work man, we do big facilities. whirlpool, gm, ford, etc those type deals. hundreds of thousands of $$$. We do some retrofitting in homes, not often but we use cellulose for that, foam only on new builds or full drywall removal and we will foam the cavities, otherwise it's impossible. Cellulose is just slow work during down season, makes a small percentage of profit vs 35-45%+ profit in foam. We also do roofing etc.

Its ideal to use our roofing systems with our foams/insulation systems for warranty/$ jobs. Happened to have a couple photos on phone from before the job, had to wrap all the big beams with plastic (additional 20 hours) of work just to do all these.

Was a pain in the butt. but it'll look clean once they finish with covering walls etc. full piping in the polished concrete too for slab heat, energy bills will be non existent.Should be extremely efficient. Had to put plastic on floor as well, spraying ceiling has some dripping / overspray from gravity so yep, a lot of plastic used in this project
IMG_6542.JPG
IMG_6540.JPG
what a rip off lol 35-45%+ means its probably 50%+, foam is dirt cheap and you guys are charging a fortune to sit there on a lift and use a spray gun all day. I need to change businesses....

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
That includes warranty work that may be needed, that includes materials that includes maintenance of machines etc. Thats just what is netted after a job my friend, operational cost add up.

A barrel of ISO and resin which are compounds that create the chemical reaction that create foam come in 50 gallon barrels and cost THOUSANDS and I am sure not all companies get the highest quality foam, we do and the machines to produce it also have to be top notch.. 1 Drop of water can ruin an entire barrel. Machines break, things break. You cannot run a business at a 10% profit threshold. Reputation and repeat customers. Whirlpool ie. opens new shop, calls us and do another 1/4 million dollar foam job and roof work.

Takes about a month. We've even been called all way down to Florida for a month of work. That was a pain in ass, hauling all the rigs. You get better ratio of profit off the big jobs like that due to the work nature. 50 gallon jugs make for more profit. vs thousands of pounds of cellulose in homes. each bag weighing 40lbs, can use 100-200bags depending on the request.

Its just nature of the beast, foam is greatest material, and commands the price and will always be purchased. You can hire anyone you want, hire a crappy company, get crap results. Same foam sprayed by different levels of experience will yield vastly different results.

Your car needs a new engine, would you take it some ran down backyard special charging you $2k? or would you go to the dealership for OEM parts and warranty but pay $5k-10k? Remember, this is a one time thing, you will never remove the foam off the walls and ceiling. You can cut pieces out for repair work, but thats it. So you want it done the correct way the first time!

I am not arguing with you but here's some insight, Shops have cost and everything is baked in. As the guy above mentioned, our prices are completely in line the building was 100x140feet with 31feet at the top of roof beam support, a lot of surface to cover. Just because you feel 70k is a lot, you dont understand the value of the work in this field. I am not going to be telling you how to price your customers or what rates you deserve pay in your line of work lol.
Sponsored

Last edited: