Did i f*ck up my clutch swap?

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I think what I have is from the clutch not being a sprung hub. It doesn't happen like the article you linked described. The noise happens when driving around at low rpm and mid to high load
I gotcha. I’m looking at the hp/tq your car makes. That must be a real blast to have that much on tap..
Sponsored

OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I gotcha. I’m looking at the hp/tq your car makes. That must be a real blast to have that much on tap..
Haha 😅 it's a handful on street tires that's for sure. Absolutely screams up top.

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
If you are making 900ish wheel hp then you probably glazed your clutch already. You really should put at least 500 miles and not put to much power to it. Mcleods are known to be noisy which is why I went mantic (and regret it since it was garbage and I couldn't downshift at all) my next choice is a centerforce clutch.

OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
If you are making 900ish wheel hp then you probably glazed your clutch already. You really should put at least 500 miles and not put to much power to it. Mcleods are known to be noisy which is why I went mantic (and regret it since it was garbage and I couldn't downshift at all) my next choice is a centerforce clutch.
I put at least a thousand miles on it before going wide open. It's fine now just a little noisy. Shifts smooth especially with the trans mount shifter. Holds the power well I nearly hit 900 wheel this past thursday.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Mcleods are known to be noisy which is why I went mantic (and regret it since it was garbage and I couldn't downshift at all) my next choice is a centerforce clutch.
I’m more confused than ever now, as to which clutch to go with. I kept hearing how great the complete Mantic clutch kit was and then I started stumbling across threads and posts that said it‘s not a good clutch and was very troublesome. I’ve seen pics where the springs popped out of it and read where Mantic said they believed that they had gotten a bad batch of springs in. I also don’t want to get a clutch that barely covers the hp level that I’m at, because I don’t want to burn through a weak clutch the minute I start making NA hits at the drag strip or using nitrous.

I didn’t know Centerforce made a clutch for the 2019 GT. I’ll have to look into that one as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I’m more confused than ever now, as to which clutch to go with. I kept hearing how great the complete Mantic clutch kit was and then I started stumbling across threads and posts that said it‘s not a good clutch and was very troublesome. I’ve seen pics where the springs popped out of it and read where Mantic said they believed that they had gotten a bad batch of springs in. I also don’t want to get a clutch that barely covers the hp level that I’m at, because I don’t want to burn through a weak clutch the minute I start making NA hits at the drag strip or using nitrous.

I didn’t know Centerforce made a clutch for the 2019 GT. I’ll have to look into that one as well.
I dont have any personal experience with the lethal performance HD clutch but have heard good things about it. I do prefer the stock clutch compared to the mcleod but didn't want to worry about the power plus I got it for like half off. The ceramic clutch it's a race clutch and I don't race my car so... the lphxd is Kevlar which I see as a happy medium between an organic and a ceramic.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I dont have any personal experience with the lethal performance HD clutch but have heard good things about it. I do prefer the stock clutch compared to the mcleod but didn't want to worry about the power plus I got it for like half off. The ceramic clutch it's a race clutch and I don't race my car so... the lphxd is Kevlar which I see as a happy medium between an organic and a ceramic.
I gotcha. Yeah, I really only want to install a clutch that will hold up to very high rpm drag strip launches and do well on the street too. It’s already going be a PITA to begin with and I’d really be sick if I put something weak in and find myself having to replace it in no time at all. I wish it were as simple as changing a tire, in which case it would be easy to try a few different clutches, in order to arrive at the Goldilocks setup.

Duece McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, 2019 Bullitt

Yeah, I've been on a similar quest looking at clutches.

I've daily driven some real on/off, noisy, chattery clutches. Which doesn't bother me at all.

I just want a clutch that is going to survive, and not take dropping the trans 5 times to sort out, sending parts back, install/shim, remove/shim, back and forth BS.

I was hoping Mantic was the answer. Which still is highly favored, same with the RXT. All the Lethal clutch back and forth though on here, makes me a bit hesitant going down that route.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Yeah, I've been on a similar quest looking at clutches.

I've daily driven some real on/off, noisy, chattery clutches. Which doesn't bother me at all.

I just want a clutch that is going to survive, and not take dropping the trans 5 times to sort out, sending parts back, install/shim, remove/shim, back and forth BS.

I was hoping Mantic was the answer. Which still is highly favored, same with the RXT. All the Lethal clutch back and forth though on here, makes me a bit hesitant going down that route.
I hear you brother. I’m like to do it once and have it last me quite a while before another tranny drop becomes necessary. I looked at rhe Ram Clutches 60-2239N setup for our cars and I think I’m going to give it a try.

https://ramclutches.com/product/60-2239N/

I was really wanting a Mantic too, but springs popping out and sending it back repeatedly won’t work for me. I’m already unhappy about having to do this so soon, although I do believe my clutch mod was a huge contributing factor to my early troubles.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I’m already unhappy about having to do this so soon, although I do believe my clutch mod was a huge contributing factor to my early troubles.
Are you referring to the clutch tamer / launch control thing that you got ?

WD :like:

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Are you referring to the clutch tamer / launch control thing that you got ?

Yes. That is a whole other issue that I’ll have to get worked out once I rebuild the tranny and install a new clutch. I have decided to reach out to the GM community for help in setting it up, since there are more than a few users who have had great success with it. If I could just find a good starting point and pick some of their brains for any other helpful tips, I think I’ll be in good shape. The range of adjustability is just so broad for the stage 1 valve which has a range of 0-26 turns from fully closed, not to mention the settings for the launch and shift timers. I do have the ability to turn the system off for normal driving, which I did do. We’ll see how it goes once I’m back up and running with a better feel for proper adjustment. I’ll update my progress.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I had wondered how that would work out for you and was watching with interest (and hoping it would turn out better than it did) :frown:

I have no experience of that kit, but I got interested and read up on it when I knew what you were up to.

For outright performance and removing budget from the equation, it seems like a great idea - but clutch life did cross my mind due to the adjustability of the system how much trial and experimentation would be needed for any given setup / conditions and the abuse the clutch 'could' be subject too during that process. unfortunately you seemed to have hit worse case scenario i.e. a fried clutch and no closer to finding the perfect settings, frustrating to say the least ... :angry:

I had a reasonably quick (for its time) 4wd car (Cosworth / 290bhp / 2866lbs). I found the best way to launch that car was to effectively do what that clutch tamer does for you, but I didn't do it often and knew I was (considerably ?) shortening the life of certain components (weak points on that car were clutch / front diff / front drive shafts - especially as I was lowered).

I hope you get it built back up stronger and that you find the setup sweet spot as quickly as possible :like:

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I had wondered how that would work out for you and was watching with interest (and hoping it would turn out better than it did) :frown:

I have no experience of that kit, but I got interested and read up on it when I knew what you were up to.

For outright performance and removing budget from the equation, it seems like a great idea - but clutch life did cross my mind due to the adjustability of the system how much trial and experimentation would be needed for any given setup / conditions and the abuse the clutch 'could' be subject too during that process. unfortunately you seemed to have hit worse case scenario i.e. a fried clutch and no closer to finding the perfect settings, frustrating to say the least ... :angry:

I had a reasonably quick (for its time) 4wd car (Cosworth / 290bhp / 2866lbs). I found the best way to launch that car was to effectively do what that clutch tamer does for you, but I didn't do it often and knew I was (considerably ?) shortening the life of certain components (weak points on that car were clutch / front diff / front drive shafts - especially as I was lowered).

I hope you get it built back up stronger and that you find the setup sweet spot as quickly as possible :like:

Thank you, I really appreciate that! I keep reminding myself that failure is not an option and I will get it right. Sometimes being a pioneer of something has it’s struggles, but they too can be overcome.

There are actually two variations of the system:

- Original Clutch Tamer (self contained mechanical setup which connects to the clutch pedal and has manual adjustability)

- Hitmaster Hydraulic Clutch Hit Control System (with all the bells and whistles and requires all the custom made hydraulic lines and timers)

When I was looking into the Clutch Tamer, Grant (owner/designer of Clutch Tamer) steered me toward the Hitmaster instead. The only problem is, I haven’t been able to connect with, nor have I found anyone running it on a Coyote. The good thing is, the system is universal, so I’m hopeful that the GM boys can help assist me with a good starting point. Given the setback with the Hitmaster, it sure made me think of how much easier things would have been going with the mechanical version.

Duece McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, 2019 Bullitt
I hear you brother. I’m like to do it once and have it last me quite a while before another tranny drop becomes necessary. I looked at rhe Ram Clutches 60-2239N setup for our cars and I think I’m going to give it a try.

https://ramclutches.com/product/60-2239N/

I was really wanting a Mantic too, but springs popping out and sending it back repeatedly won’t work for me. I’m already unhappy about having to do this so soon, although I do believe my clutch mod was a huge contributing factor to my early troubles.
Ram clutches, that rings a bell.

I wonder if southbend supports the S550.

Lots of options, lmk what you end up with!