Sponsored

Did GT350 values just get bolstered with the S650 reveal?

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
The car itself is just fine actually. I think it is neat that Ford is still willing to make a track focused NA V8 2+2 with a manual transmission. As enthusiasts we should all celebrate that and it will be dearly missed in the not so distant future. The name though is an absolutely hilarious and childish trope; it is the equivalent of naming the car "The Lone Wolf". Ooooooo scary and badass. It is a name that will appeal to 13 year old boys, emo kids, and the 35 year old man-child that still wears his Affliction T-shirt while frequenting his local strip bar because he is convinced that Candy really likes him.

I understand that they were trying to stay with the equine theme, but they could also have drawn on some aviation heritage instead. If they really wanted to stick with the dark and emo messaging, they could have called it the Nighthawk or the Blackbird, or maybe even the Phantom. At some point I am going to see a Dark Horse in the paddock and I'm going to go up to the emo Dwayne Johnson owner and I'm going to say "Hey that's a sweet Dark Horse man"....so fucking cringey :giggle:
:cwl: :clap: :cwl:

You, sir, owe me a new keyboard. I couldn't have said it better.
Sponsored

Last edited:

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
Yes but I think we are seeing the end to that. Unless your Roush or Shelby, it is probably not going to happen. We are at the end of a very long era, for me, sadly

The Darkhorse is not the 350 replacement. If anything was it was the Mach 1. When the 350 came out it replaced the Boss 302. As capable as the Boss was there was a clear advantage for the 350, When the Mach 1 came out it was within a breath of being a 350. The only car to be much faster was the GT500 with its supercharger and gobs of power. Now we have the Dark horse, as capable as the 350 with a little less power. (on track I dont think you will see a difference). When you talk replacement, you are talking a marketing slot, not equaling the 350 then you have to say Mach 1. The Darkhorse is the replacement for the Mach 1 and it improves on that car.

As far as Shelby owners go, we are not all the same. Like Tomster, I run the crap out of mine. The only reason I'm a bit relieved that the new car is not something that bowls me over is I dont need another bank loan and a divorce attorney. DH is going to take a long time to become something comparable to Boss or Mach 1, both storied marks, Shelby is at another level . Not because the car is better but because of the history. It was earned by guys name McDonald, Titus and Miles. It was earned by Carroll. Not everybody gets that. Not all Shelby owners get that. Its not my car is better than yours. The history is unequaled though.
im with ya, man, it definitely isn't quite to the level of the shelby, definitely isn't as pretty. the thing keeping the gt350's lower than they probably should be for a while will be the engine issues. it spooks a lot of people, including myself. real imagined or whatever its just gonna be a factor.

I think the dh is intentionally just shy of the level of the shelby but a good driver can make that up easily.

that said i'm not a fan of the new look. the tails look like cheap ricer garbage, the front of the DH is just not clean and I really don' tlike the mismatched badges. why not have a darkhorse on the front? that would look SO rad as a shield.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
im with ya, man, it definitely isn't quite to the level of the shelby, definitely isn't as pretty.

I think its intentionally just shy of it.

i'm not a fan of the new look. the tails look like cheap ricer garbage, the front of the DH is just not clean and I really don' tlike the mismatched badges. why not have a darkhorse on the front? that would look SO rad as a shield.
Since Ford is calling the debut of the s650 the 59th anniversary (at least thatā€™s what they had at the beginning of their ā€œpresentationā€ the other night) Iā€™d look for something to come for the 60th. Maybe a return of a Boss model? Perhaps even a Shelby? They definitely havenā€™t shown all their cards yet.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
Since Ford is calling the debut of the s650 the 59th anniversary (at least thatā€™s what they had at the beginning of their ā€œpresentationā€ the other night) Iā€™d look for something to come for the 60th. Maybe a return of a Boss model? Perhaps even a Shelby? They definitely havenā€™t shown all their cards yet.
just something without stickers. i love the boss and the mach but give us something clean, guys!

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
just something without stickers. i love the boss and the mach but give us something clean, guys!
Or at least optional stickers for those that want them but start clean I agree.

Sponsored

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
Or at least optional stickers for those that want them but start clean I agree.
yeah dude, that one crazy guy who removed the stickers from his mach1 has a BEAUTIFUL car now.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
yeah dude, that one crazy guy who removed the stickers from his mach1 has a BEAUTIFUL car now.
Yeah the Mach without stripes is gorgeous. I do like the Shelby striping though. It suits those cars. Shelbyā€™s also look really good stripeless too.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
yeah stripes are fine. i love the thin stripes. if the mach stripe went all the way to the back that would be better imo.

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
the thing keeping the gt350's lower than they probably should be for a while will be the engine issues. it spooks a lot of people, including myself. real imagined or whatever its just gonna be a factor.
It did get into some peoples heads but they sold them all...and they continue to sell for over MSRP today so it's hard to quantify what "lower" is but I'm not seeing it. I see this sentiment mostly from people who never intended to buy one to begin with - nothing to do with engine concerns.

It's just like the housing market - it's easy to speculate on what is happening or what should happen or what people are thinking - when you aren't really in the market to purchase in the first place.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Yes but I think we are seeing the end to that. Unless your Roush or Shelby, it is probably not going to happen. We are at the end of a very long era, for me, sadly

The Darkhorse is not the 350 replacement. If anything was it was the Mach 1. When the 350 came out it replaced the Boss 302. As capable as the Boss was there was a clear advantage for the 350, When the Mach 1 came out it was within a breath of being a 350. The only car to be much faster was the GT500 with its supercharger and gobs of power. Now we have the Dark horse, as capable as the 350 with a little less power. (on track I dont think you will see a difference). When you talk replacement, you are talking a marketing slot, not equaling the 350 then you have to say Mach 1. The Darkhorse is the replacement for the Mach 1 and it improves on that car.

As far as Shelby owners go, we are not all the same. Like Tomster, I run the crap out of mine. The only reason I'm a bit relieved that the new car is not something that bowls me over is I dont need another bank loan and a divorce attorney. DH is going to take a long time to become something comparable to Boss or Mach 1, both storied marks, Shelby is at another level . Not because the car is better but because of the history. It was earned by guys name McDonald, Titus and Miles. It was earned by Carroll. Not everybody gets that. Not all Shelby owners get that. Its not my car is better than yours. The history is unequaled though.
Yes.

Sponsored

R3G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 TRX, 2020 Shelby GT350
Agreed on the Shelby history. I do give Ford props for introducing something new...who knows they will probably end Dark Horse in 2 years and it will become sought after as the pages of history turn. I do think the S650 is just fine, inside and out...it is more or less a bit boxier iteration of the S550 with a new version of Coyote and the same digital software used in the Mach E. I won't be rushing to get one...but I can definitely tell you I will be there to test drive the first one I see :)

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
IMO you are on to something here.
Does anyone think for a second Ford hasnā€™t already bought and driven the crap out of a Z06 FPC. Iā€™ll guarantee you they are already working on something better.
Nobody, I mean nobody can argue the exhilarating feeling the GT350 powertrain gives us. What a fantastic engine/transmission.
If GM has overcome the reliability issues (time will tell) Iā€™ll guarantee Ford will be all over it. After all, GM has had almost a decade to improve on Fords idea to go with a FPC 5+ liter engine.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
im with ya, man, it definitely isn't quite to the level of the shelby, definitely isn't as pretty. the thing keeping the gt350's lower than they probably should be for a while will be the engine issues. it spooks a lot of people, including myself. real imagined or whatever its just gonna be a factor.

I think the dh is intentionally just shy of the level of the shelby but a good driver can make that up easily.

that said i'm not a fan of the new look. the tails look like cheap ricer garbage, the front of the DH is just not clean and I really don' tlike the mismatched badges. why not have a darkhorse on the front? that would look SO rad as a shield.
The reliability is well overblown. Failure rates are a little higher then the 5,0 between 15 and 18. Similar to the 5.0 for 19/20

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
The reliability is well overblown. Failure rates are a little higher then the 5,0 between 15 and 18. Similar to the 5.0 for 19/20
that may be but there are guys who drive the balls off these cars and report that they just rattle apart because of the vibrations. this isn't a catastrophic issue, its just a quirk of the car. its the trade off for the benefits. I suspect people will, over time, work out resolutions to all of these issues (which might just be to use red loctite on everything :D)

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
that may be but there are guys who drive the balls off these cars and report that they just rattle apart because of the vibrations. this isn't a catastrophic issue, its just a quirk of the car. its the trade off for the benefits. I suspect people will, over time, work out resolutions to all of these issues (which might just be to use red loctite on everything :D)
Hmmmā€¦ Sounds like a small price to pay. Iā€™m in.
Sponsored