DHG Bullitt K4944 - Boston - Breakin period impressions

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
"Brakes - they are touchy. I don't know exactly how strong they are because it's still the break-in period, but they are touchy, there's not much pedal-travel between slightly slowing down and herculean stopping force. It takes some getting used to."

Brakes can/should be 'broken-in' in a few hundred miles--quicker if there's a break-in coating on the pads--and is not related to engine break-in (I didn't see any brake break-in instructions in the Ford Owner's Manual; point me to them if you've found them por favor). The usual prescribed process is moderate-to hard braking from increasing speed, with a cooling-off period of a couple of minutes between cycles. Do not hard brake to a stop, keep rolling to keep the pads from heating up a small region of the disks causing uneven pad material deposition (there's some debate as to whether rotors can be 'warped,' or have uneven pad material deposition emulating warped rotors; I believe the latter). Lots of info, and a fair bit of disagreement on the 'net; here's a couple:

https://www.apcautotech.com/getmedi...ical_Whitepaper_C2-Bed-In-Theory-8-2018_1.pdf

https://brakeperformance.com/bedding-in-rotors.php

https://www.powerstop.com/brake-pad-break-in-procedure/

I also thought the brakes were a bit touchy, compared to my other, older cars. You'll get used to them pretty quick.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SoZen

SoZen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SoZen
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt
and is not related to engine break-in (I didn't see any break-in instructions in the Ford Owner's Manual; point me to them if you've found them).

I also thought the brakes were a bit touchy, compared to my other, older cars. You'll get used to them pretty quick.
There's a section just above the Engine Break In section, it says:
Brakes and Clutch
Avoid heavy use of the brakes and clutch if possible for the first 100 mi (150 km) in town and for the first 1,000 mi (1,500 km) on freeways

I'm just babying it, including the brakes - tomorrow I will cross 1,000 miles and have a little more fun with it!

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
There's a section just above the Engine Break In section, it says:
Brakes and Clutch
Avoid heavy use of the brakes and clutch if possible for the first 100 mi (150 km) in town and for the first 1,000 mi (1,500 km) on freeways

I'm just babying it, including the brakes - tomorrow I will cross 1,000 miles and have a little more fun with it!
Ah, now I remember, I saw that and disregarded it; doesn't jive with all I've learned about proper brake break-in. It sounds like "brake break-in for dummies." The part about not stopping with hot pads if you can help it is the most important. Avoiding 'heavy use of the clutch' sounds like a recipe for slipping and glazing it; more helpful would be "don't slip the clutch--ever*--if you can help it and never drive with your foot on the clutch pedal." FWIW, I traded-in my '08 Bullitt at 135K miles with original clutch and brakes (the front pads had about 5/16" of material left on them). To be fair it had a lot of highway miles, but also lot of stop-and-go (I lived in the SF Bay Area).

* Technically, you have to slip the clutch a little every time you shift; you'd stall in most gears otherwise, and some is required for a hard launch. I always plant my clutch foot's heel on the mat ASAP--controlling the pedal with ankle movement, not leg--then move my foot away from the pedal until I need to shift again.

EDIT: Did some 'research.' I'm inclined to believe these guys (the manual was written for 'generic' Mustangs, IIRC):

https://www.carid.com/brembo/info/bedding-guide.html

EDIT2: The part about the zinc coating was news to me; brake rotors used to come with an anti-rust coating like cosmoline, which you'd have to remove with a solvent before installing.

Begs the question: do we have Brembo calipers, pads and rotors; or Brembo calipers and pads; or Brembo calipers, or just Brembo paint?

Last edited:

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
I know exactly what you mean - here's what I learned about making a very smooth, relaxed shift: on the 1-2 shift, on a backroad, rev it up in 1st, push in the clutch and watch the tach. The tach will drop to a certain rpm and hang there for a second or so (perfect shift rpm), then drop again to idle speed (too slow rpm for smooth). Whatever rpm that the computer holds the rpms at - that is the perfect rpm for shifting into the next gear - you simply release the clutch at that rpm and the shift will be smooth as a newborn's skin! If you shift sooner than that hang point, you'll get a lurch into the gear (unless you are modulating the accelerator) because the rpms will drop instantly to match the engage point. For me, learning this allows me a very smooth shifting technique/option, particularly for in traffic or with passengers.

The other thing to note, the higher your rev the car in 1st gear, the greater the # of rpms the engine has to drop before it reaches that point of holding the rpms - that equals MORE TIME to wait for the perfect shift. So it feels like an eternity when you rev high but then wait for the rpms to drop and hang so you can shift smoothly, so it seems to work out better if you are shifting around 3-4k when using this relaxed shifting technique.

The same shifting technique works in all gears, btw, it just happens very quickly in all the other transitions than 1-2, I suppose because the # of rpms to drop is significantly less than in the 1-2 shift.

does that make sense? I'm sure if you try what I suggested with the backroad and watching the tach, you'll get it very quickly.

Works great, but you have to be really patient for the 1-2 shift, takes what seems like an "eternity" for the RPM to reach the right point.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SoZen

SoZen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SoZen
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt
Works great, but you have to be really patient for the 1-2 shift, takes what seems like an "eternity" for the RPM to reach the right point.
Totally agree with that statement.

1500 mile update: now that I'm well past the break-in period, I've opened it up for a couple of WOT acceleration runs and even tried LC.

7000+ WOT shifts are fine for me, they feel great and the car sounds amazing. The power feels smooth all the way to redline. By the time I'm at redline in second, it's back to normal driving. I've managed .77gs of acceleration in both of those two hard launches.

LC bogged out at the lowest setting, 3500(?) Rpm. But was really sweet at 4,500 rpm on an early evening in the mid-60s.

These tires slide/skip without making much, if any, sound, and traction/stability control let's it slide a little before compensating.

Oh and yeah, first paint chip on the hood from normal driving, ugh.

Meguires ceramic hybrid seems good for easy protection, simple to apply, even on the wheels.

I took it on a 500+ mile round trip and really enjoyed it, the seats with a/c we're great and it's way quieter and more comfortable than my prior '13 GT with recaros. A/C itself is fantastic too.

I would like a better option for where to store my phone than in a cup holder.

Finally, why does Bluetooth not work when answering the phone??? I have to answer the call, then switch the sound to handset and then back to Bluetooth every time in order to get it working?

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Finally, why does Bluetooth not work when answering the phone??? I have to answer the call, then switch the sound to handset and then back to Bluetooth every time in order to get it working?
Mine works fine. I would suggest removing the phone completely and then re attaching it.

sicilianjg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Totally agree with that statement.

1500 mile update: now that I'm well past the break-in period, I've opened it up for a couple of WOT acceleration runs and even tried LC.

7000+ WOT shifts are fine for me, they feel great and the car sounds amazing. The power feels smooth all the way to redline. By the time I'm at redline in second, it's back to normal driving. I've managed .77gs of acceleration in both of those two hard launches.

LC bogged out at the lowest setting, 3500(?) Rpm. But was really sweet at 4,500 rpm on an early evening in the mid-60s.

These tires slide/skip without making much, if any, sound, and traction/stability control let's it slide a little before compensating.

Oh and yeah, first paint chip on the hood from normal driving, ugh.

Meguires ceramic hybrid seems good for easy protection, simple to apply, even on the wheels.

I took it on a 500+ mile round trip and really enjoyed it, the seats with a/c we're great and it's way quieter and more comfortable than my prior '13 GT with recaros. A/C itself is fantastic too.

I would like a better option for where to store my phone than in a cup holder.

Maybe this will help you with your cell phone: Look this up on ebay "Fit For Fit Ford Mustang 2015-2019 Black Interior Side Door Storage Box Holder"
Joe

OP
OP
SoZen

SoZen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SoZen
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt
Thanks for that link Joe - I didn't go for that item because I want to keep my phone connected to Android Auto and have the wires out of the way.

Here's what I ended up doing:
1) I removed all the rubber from one of these WizGear vent mount magnets
2) Used the included round metal mount and backing tape to stick it on the side of the console near the cupholders
3) Painted the magnet black and stuck it to the round mount

This is a very low-profile magnetic mount that is easily removable. Here's a pic - it's barely noticeable (even in this pic which i cranked up the brightness to show the mount) and holds my phone completely out of the way, while connected via USB to the car. Perfect for me.

MVIMG_20190604_094100.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
SoZen

SoZen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SoZen
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt
Mine works fine. I would suggest removing the phone completely and then re attaching it.
Thanks for the reminder - I deleted the bluetooth connection to the car on my phone. It worked for a while when connected to Android Auto via USB, but after a while, now this is where it gets weird, the phone and the car re-established a bluetooth connection on their own (ghost in the machine???!) and now it's required to toggle bluetooth off/on via the sync screen for phone calls to work through the car's speakers & mic.

I haven't tried to debug it further, but I will remove the bluetooth again and see if it works via just the USB android connection, or if that was just my assumption and not fact.

OP
OP
SoZen

SoZen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SoZen
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt
Just passed 3,000 miles! I'm going out of my way to drive and loving every minute of it.

Many, many, many other drivers step up to race me all the time, at stop lights, on the highway, and even mom's in minivans, lol. Latest were a Toyota Tundra driving crazy on the highway, tailgating me, swerving in and out of different lanes, windows down with his girlfriend. I was cruising and just let it go, SoZen.

Yesterday it was a Challenger SRT, he swerved into my lane while flooring it - a jerk move, but his car did sound pretty good. Again, I let it go, SoZen.

I have pulled a .90 right hander and a .85 left hander, all good fun, but nothing like what I would have experienced on track with my '13 GT. But stock, this car is just very nice. Lol, my 13 GT was so sloppy, it'd dive badly under hard braking and was much looser too.

Quite a lot of people stop me to ask me "what is it?" a they usually mention loving the color. Numerous women have told me they love my car and the way it sounds. All good fun!

Update on the 1-2 shift:. Now I do not need to look at the tach at all, I just feel the shifter and feather touch it towards 2nd. The car will almost magnetically suck it Into 2nd when it's ready to shift, just release the clutch and go! Super smooth. Even the wife accepts the shifts as smooth.

OP
OP
SoZen

SoZen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SoZen
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt
Here's what I ended up doing:
1) I removed all the rubber from one of these WizGear vent mount magnets
2) Used the included round metal mount and backing tape to stick it on the side of the console near the cupholders
3) Painted the magnet black and stuck it to the round mount

This is a very low-profile magnetic mount that is easily removable. Here's a pic - it's barely noticeable (even in this pic which i cranked up the brightness to show the mount) and holds my phone completely out of the way, while connected via USB to the car. Perfect for me.

MVIMG_20190604_094100.jpg
I love this magnet idea. Keeps my phone out of sight and secure.
MVIMG_20190604_094100-01.jpeg

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Just passed 3,000 miles! I'm going out of my way to drive and loving every minute of it.

Many, many, many other drivers step up to race me all the time, at stop lights, on the highway, and even mom's in minivans, lol. Latest were a Toyota Tundra driving crazy on the highway, tailgating me, swerving in and out of different lanes, windows down with his girlfriend. I was cruising and just let it go, SoZen.

Yesterday it was a Challenger SRT, he swerved into my lane while flooring it - a jerk move, but his car did sound pretty good. Again, I let it go, SoZen.

I have pulled a .90 right hander and a .85 left hander, all good fun, but nothing like what I would have experienced on track with my '13 GT. But stock, this car is just very nice. Lol, my 13 GT was so sloppy, it'd dive badly under hard braking and was much looser too.

Quite a lot of people stop me to ask me "what is it?" a they usually mention loving the color. Numerous women have told me they love my car and the way it sounds. All good fun!

Update on the 1-2 shift:. Now I do not need to look at the tach at all, I just feel the shifter and feather touch it towards 2nd. The car will almost magnetically suck it Into 2nd when it's ready to shift, just release the clutch and go! Super smooth. Even the wife accepts the shifts as smooth.
Nice to here you are still enjoying the car. I also gets lots of looks and admiration from people. One of our DD's was in the shop last week, so I drove the BULLITT to works for two days. one of the days I was walking up to it and was admiring it. at first glance the car seems somewhat subdued, but after you look at it for a minute is exudes a quiet confidence, kind of like "walk softly and carry a big stick".

I'm also finding the shifting 1-2 to be much easier, when you relax and let the RPM drop and then ease out the clutch.

I only have 3,200km (2,000 miles) on mine, and have only got mine to 0.76L and 0.70R. Got 1.0 breaking and 0.78 acceleration. But heading to the BC interior in a three of weeks, so with the mountain twisties, will have lots of opportunity to push it harder in the corners. Really looking forward to this run as when I did it last August, it was still new and not broken in.

Can't say as I have had anyone try and race me yet, when they do, I like to push a corner and watch then shrink in my mirror.

Massman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2004 Explorer Sport Trac, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
Nice to know there are a few of Bullitt owners in MA. I have yet to see another one like ours. And yes it does get the looks and comments. Especially the beautiful exhaust note.
Sponsored