SoZen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SoZen
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt
Hi all, using this forum as my blog...

First 100 miles impression - first off, wow!

There are incredible technologies in this car:

- active exhaust with quiet, normal, sport and track modes (gt350 has active exhaust, bit only for normal and sport, or loud and louder). This is a great and very noticeable feature that when I heard about it, immediately put a mustang back on my radar for ownership.

- rev matching 6 speed. Wow, this is an incredible technology! I love hell-toeing, but dang, auto rev matching means neclver missing a perfect downshift and do mean perfect. Downshifting sounds great and is eerily smoooooth.

- magne-ride suspension. It's smoother than normal and I can tell the difference between normal and sport, but so far, generally it's firmer than my BMW 340, i would have like a softer setting for occasional use. Come to think of it, I have not set the driving mode to snow/wet or track, so maybe I just haven't set them to their softest setting yet - something to try!

- digital instrument cluster. This is a fun, functional awesome feature. I've not explored it too much yet because it's already got more new things to learn without tinkering with it yet. It's gorgeous and modern compared to anything I've never driven

- line lock:. Lol, you got to be kidding me!? When my tires get old, I will demolish them with this feature. Set it and just light up the rears for a nascar-like smoke show woohoo!!!

- shift point notification:. So you can set the car to not notify you when to shift or set either/both a visual/audible notification. I think it'd be great for tracking, drag strip and I'm thinking of using it during break in period.

- switches and gauges are simple and functional. Plus they're configureable in the digital cluster. I wish I could configure what the physical swiches do too, because I would put the exhaust mode there instead of in the menus.

- huge touch screen:. Very nice and we'll integrated. I like it alot better than BMWs setup with the non-touch screen with a dial on the console.

- Android auto. Nuf said. BMW lost me as a customer for lack of this feature.

- air conditioned seats. BMW maybe offers it, idk, but my BMW is already $10k more expensive the the mustang and isn't equipped with this nicety.

- interior quality. I like it. I hear reviewers say it is lower grade material, but I disagree. It's at least as nice as my BMW and with much greater content. Seats, console, door panels, brushed carbon look materials, numbered bullitt badge unique stitching everywhere. It may actually be cheaper, but unless your literally checking the material with your fingers and a Google search, I would have no way of knowing if it is true. It's a nice place to sit and drive.

- engine: uh, this 5.0 with the gt350 throttle body and intake is bonkers powerful, sounds like the gods of automotive rock, and looks amazing under the hood

- 6 speed shift quality. It's way better than my prior 2013 gt. Without back to back driving it against something else, it seems fantastic. In my 2013 GT, i replaced the shifter with a short-shift kit and that was nice, but this car doesn't need it.

- sound system. I turned the bass down quite a bit and it's still overly-boosted. I never had a B&O system anywhere before. This seems good otherwise.

- visuals. It's just stunning to look at. It turns heads everywhere. people stop and ask me about it and roll down their windows to just chat me up. ok, but I don't really care that it's a Bullitt - I chose it over a GT350 for features, looks and everyday cruisability.

Where did they save money from BMW? I guess the seats don't have the extension for your lower thighs. The trunk does open when you put your foot underneath it, there must be other areas, but I haven't noticed yet.

Driving experience:. It's fast, it's confident, it turns hard and flat, the brakes are very strong, bumps.on corners upset it about as much as my BMW, which is to say somewhat, but way better than my 2013 gt handled the same.

I haven't pushed hard yet though, so these are maybe 6/10ths reports. And I love it at these levels, which is literally 95% of driving time anyways.

I can't help but slow down, then speed up aggressively to hear the noise and feel the power. It's probably not that much faster in a straight line than my BMW 340 AWD/Auto, but it is way more engaging and enjoyable every trip up to speed.

One more huge improvement and impression: they really changed the front end a lot. I don't recall hearing much about it in the press, but visibility out the front is improved. The nose appears much smaller and the car feels smaller because of it, even if I have no clue where the front edge of the car is. Luckily it isn't low, just normal front end height, otherwise I would have already scraped the splitter when parking headfirst, since I've put the nose over the curb even though I didn't think I was close to doing so.
Sponsored

Jimbo85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Bullitt
Hi Tim, That's amazing and a great write-up! I'm eagerly awaiting delivery of mine and posts like these really definitely keep me motivated to keep on hanging in there!
Looking forward to hearing the rest of your blog!
Jim

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
Another happy customer!! Congratulations. Yes, it is an amazing car....Love mine......

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Welcome to the forum, Tim. Yep, the best Mustang I have ever owned by a long shot. And, the more you drive it, the more you want to drive it. It hasn't gotten old for me in 2200 miles. Great write up and now you've got me ticked at the weather as it's still raining!

Sponsored

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
You should be a motoring journaiist!
That was a very clear and simple summary and not obscured by all the crap the so called 'professionals" inflict on us
Well done!

OP
OP
SoZen

SoZen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SoZen
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt
Thank you for the kind welcome and I'm truly appreciative of kind words about a write-up. The internet can be a harsh place sometimes, but you have made me feel most welcome!

I'm very pleased to be back in a Mustang, I literally missed it from the moment it was gone. But I'm back and enjoying every minute of it!

I sometimes get caught up in the hype, or even the forum trends to make mods on cars, but with this car, I really don't want to do anything to it and I'm willing to be low-bandwidth on the forums, youtube and Car & Driver so that I don't get influenced by anything other than my own impressions :-)

It's very nice to hear so many Bullitt owners enjoying their cars.

OP
OP
SoZen

SoZen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SoZen
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt
I wrote that first blog entry (via email to myself) a few weeks ago, but only posted it here yesterday.

Here's my latest update from this weekend:
500 to 950 mile update:
Still in the break-in period. I've set the Performance Shift Indicator at 4500 RPM and let it light up the tach to keep me from blasting through early shift points. I can't hear the Shift Beep, so that is now off. It's a good feature, not in your face with any visuals or loud noises, but it does a good job of indicating that it's time to shift by changing the color of enitre tach to a different color - pretty easy to catch out of the corner of your eye.

Shifting in general - woah, I was really beating up the 1-2 shift. I had to go out for an hour and do nothing but focus on driving the 1-2 shift smoothly. What I realized about my shifting habits are they are based on going fast, almost like I am on track all the time (not quite) trying to engage the next gear in as few tenths-of-a-second as possible. Not quite right in this car on a daily cruise. What I learned in that hour, is to really slow down shifting for smoothness. For me, it's either do it a) at low, under 3k rpms, b) slow, wait for the rpms to to drop so you can release in 2nd without any jerkiness, or c) shift as fast as you want, but add accelerator input to keep the power on as soon as the clutch engages. Option C is the most fun, my passengers appreciate option B. It was really nice to go out and learn to feel the car and what it wants to do when shifting. It also sounds amazing all the time, even at low rpms. Is it possible that it sounds better at low rpms when the engine is cold? It seems to burble and pop a little more than when it's warmed up. I can't wait to pass 1000 miles and open this bad boy up to redline!

Sound system - you may have seen my other post, but the B&O system has too much bass - long story short: I disconnected one of the two subwoofer connections (effectively lowering the sub woofer's output) and it's pretty good now. I'm not sure it's great, but it's decent enough to live with.

Android Auto - I love this feature! I'm not sure why a branded manufacturer would exclude Android Auto from their offering to customers, but for me, I will never buy another car without this feature.

Cleaning it - Dark Highland Green seems like a forgiving color. I've put Meguire's Hybrid Ceramic finish on it. The effect is good - it was easy it was to apply to the entire exterior. Seems very helpful on the brakes and alloys especially. I am still debating whether to put an XPel finish on it. I never had one before, so i figure this car is not so different for me, I'll just deal with the minor signs of fast driving.

That said, less than 1000 miles and there are 3 blemishes on the car that I am not sure where they came from: 1) someone bumped the rear bumper and there's a clear micron width by 1" line directly on the center of the bumper, grrrr, 2) some imperfections on the passenger side-mirror (no clue when or where these came from) and 3) there's some very minor rash on the passenger front rim - with absolutely no sign of any scrape on the tire itself?! I am positive I didn't do these last two things and it makes me wonder if my walk-around when I bought the car wasn't thorough enough in the excitement. :-(

Brakes - they are touchy. I don't know exactly how strong they are because it's still the break-in period, but they are touchy, there's not much pedal-travel between slightly slowing down and herculean stopping force. It takes some getting used to.

Seats - I have the heated/cooled seats - by 100% choice and I love them. They seem to get crumbs in the little ventilation holes and i find myself vacuuming them more often than I'm used to, but they are comfortable, look good and the cooling feature is something that's important to me - and it works well too!

Driving - handling is fantastic. I do notice a little bounciness that i didn't notice in the GT350 that I test drove when making my purchase decision, but i am thinking if it ever bothers me, a simple spring upgrade would solve it. The MagneRide shokcs are excellent - I am glad to have bought one with this feature.

Finally, active exhaust - wow, this is an awesome feature. Truly - now that i have it, it really makes the Mustang Bullitt very liveable, no matter the driving situation, the exhaust works well, Quiet Mode when I'm on a phone call and Sport+ when i'm hooliganing!

Love affair continues at 950 miles, oh so close to experiencing it's full power!

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I agree with too much Bass. What exactly did you disconnect? I would like to try that. I got a Steeda spring for the clutch. I have yet to install it, but I am still having a bit of trouble with slow speed shifts and even some higher speed upshifts. With the revmatching downshifting makes you look like a pro. I turned it off and definitely have a hard time exactly engaging. I will report back after the spring is in.
Thanks for your write up!

OP
OP
SoZen

SoZen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SoZen
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt
I agree with too much Bass. What exactly did you disconnect? I would like to try that.
Let's see if i can explain this - gently pry the subwoofer surround off of the subwoofer using a panel removal tool (or a screwdriver) - put some cloth behind the tool between the plastic and the tool to prevent marring of the plastic that you're using for leverage. This part was nerve-wrecking, hoping to not crack/snap the plastic surround, it worked fine. Then remove the torx screws from the sub, pull it out of the enclosure and simply remove one of the two speaker wire connections by hand. then put it back together. It took about 15 minutes and I like the balance better. The sub has two voice coils, each one has a connection from the sub, by removing one, the bass output is lowered - i don't have facts to back it up, but my ears are happier.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SoZen

SoZen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SoZen
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt
...trouble with slow speed shifts and even some higher speed upshifts.
I know exactly what you mean - here's what I learned about making a very smooth, relaxed shift: on the 1-2 shift, on a backroad, rev it up in 1st, push in the clutch and watch the tach. The tach will drop to a certain rpm and hang there for a second or so (perfect shift rpm), then drop again to idle speed (too slow rpm for smooth). Whatever rpm that the computer holds the rpms at - that is the perfect rpm for shifting into the next gear - you simply release the clutch at that rpm and the shift will be smooth as a newborn's skin! If you shift sooner than that hang point, you'll get a lurch into the gear (unless you are modulating the accelerator) because the rpms will drop instantly to match the engage point. For me, learning this allows me a very smooth shifting technique/option, particularly for in traffic or with passengers.

The other thing to note, the higher your rev the car in 1st gear, the greater the # of rpms the engine has to drop before it reaches that point of holding the rpms - that equals MORE TIME to wait for the perfect shift. So it feels like an eternity when you rev high but then wait for the rpms to drop and hang so you can shift smoothly, so it seems to work out better if you are shifting around 3-4k when using this relaxed shifting technique.

The same shifting technique works in all gears, btw, it just happens very quickly in all the other transitions than 1-2, I suppose because the # of rpms to drop is significantly less than in the 1-2 shift.

does that make sense? I'm sure if you try what I suggested with the backroad and watching the tach, you'll get it very quickly.

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
Have you got the rough edge on the inside edge of your back bumper and which is covered by where the boot lid comes down so you can't see it with the boot closed?
Cheers

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Look into a mgw shifter , night and day diffarance.

lockwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY2019 Bullitt, 2018 BMW M2, 2019 MX5 RFGT
Have you got the rough edge on the inside edge of your back bumper and which is covered by where the boot lid comes down so you can't see it with the boot closed?
Cheers
My Bullitt has the rough edge, plus a couple of dags in the paint. Overall I don’t think the quality of the Mustang is very good. I’m a bit disappointed. I also have a 2019 MX5, quality overall is much better
Sponsored