ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
Hi Guys,

How loud, typically, is engine detonation? I'm probably being paranoid, but today coming back from lunch I was pushing it a bit and heard what sounded to me like a pebble hitting the oil pan...not terribly loud, but audible. They were doing some work on the roads, so it's definitely possible it's nothing. Heard it a total of two times, about 30 seconds apart.

Just curious as to how loud this sound would be.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
LOL I'm not sure what it sounds like but it was probably a rock. Are you running any modifications or running poopy gas? If not I wouldn't think anything of it. You might check your spark plugs just to be sure they are looking good and gapped properly to make yourself feel better

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Here is a video that has detonation sounds. 19 seconds is where it starts and you can hear it. It does sound similar to pebbles hitting something metal.

[ame]

OP
OP
ryant601

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
Highly doubt it sounded like that from the outside, and definitely not from the inside...that sounds more constant, this wasn't that.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Highly doubt it sounded like that from the outside, and definitely not from the inside...that sounds more constant, this wasn't that.
All the detonation I have ever heard has sounded like this. It will of course be louder on the outside of the car vs. sitting in the interior.

You said you are tuned. I would contact your tuner and find out if they want you to data log or do something else.
Sponsored